Old 01-06-2008, 02:04 PM
pol

Default re-using a damaged disk

I would like to re-use a physically crashed disk. My guess is that its
surface has been damaged. I would like to re-install debian (or kubuntu).
How is it possible to reformat the disk, without using the damaged area?

Thank you

-
Pol

Old 01-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:04:10 +0100
pol <linux_milano@yahoo.it> wrote:

> I would like to re-use a physically crashed disk. My guess is that its
> surface has been damaged. I would like to re-install debian (or kubuntu).
> How is it possible to reformat the disk, without using the damaged area?
>
> Thank you

Usually the hard drive controller keeps track of the damaged sectors/blocks of the disk and doesn't write data to it. However, I don't suggest using the disk because you could potentially lose a lot of data.

If the hard drive is less than 5 years old you could probably get it replaced from the manufacturer.

Amit

Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:04:10PM +0100, pol wrote:
> I would like to re-use a physically crashed disk. My guess is that its
> surface has been damaged. I would like to re-install debian (or kubuntu).
> How is it possible to reformat the disk, without using the damaged area?

I assume you know what you are doing and all the risks involved, bla bla
..., backup all your data and so on. Try doing a badblock scan.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:04:10PM +0100, pol wrote:
> I would like to re-use a physically crashed disk. My guess is that its
> surface has been damaged. I would like to re-install debian (or kubuntu).
> How is it possible to reformat the disk, without using the damaged area?

Why?

How do you know its physically crashed? If it is physically crashed,
the head are probably dead too. If you try, what errors do you get?

Try booting up a live CD like GRML, format the whole drive as one
filesystem having it check for badblocks. Have tail -f /var/syslog
runing in another VT and watch the errors. Also listen to the drive.

Be careful, though, since a failed disk can take out the drive
controller on your MB.

Doug.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
pol

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> How do you know its physically crashed? If it is physically crashed,
> the head are probably dead too. If you try, what errors do you get?

The laptop fell about one meter to the floor, while it was running.
I can't rmemeber the error messages, but they were sugegsting something
unusal had happened. to the /usr partition. I cannot be mounted, so i get
the prompt, login through the ash, a very limited number of commands
available.
Fsck'ed the /usr partition, everything should have been fixed, yet 'mount'
cannot mount /usr - the same messages as at boot.

While the disk has been damaged, the heads seem to be working.

> Try booting up a live CD like GRML, format the whole drive as one
> filesystem having it check for badblocks. Have tail -f /var/syslog
> runing in another VT and watch the errors. Also listen to the drive.

No noise from the drive.
I'll give GRML a try

thank you

--
Pol

Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 PM
David

Andrei Popescu wrote:

I would like to re-use a physically crashed disk. My guess is that its
surface has been damaged. I would like to re-install debian (or kubuntu).
How is it possible to reformat the disk, without using the damaged area?

I assume you know what you are doing and all the risks involved, bla bla
..., backup all your data and so on. Try doing a badblock scan.

I don't know what your situation is, but I bought a second hand
ATA100disc the other day, in good condition, for $5.00.

David Palmer
Linux User - #352034

Old 01-06-2008, 08:51 PM
pol

David wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:04:10PM +0100, pol wrote:
>>> I would like to re-use a physically crashed disk. My guess is that its
>>> surface has been damaged. I would like to re-install debian (or
>>> kubuntu). How is it possible to reformat the disk, without using the
>>> damaged area?
>>
>> I assume you know what you are doing and all the risks involved, bla bla
>> ..., backup all your data and so on. Try doing a badblock scan.

Which program to scan and discard badblocks (ext3 file system)?

> I don't know what your situation is, but I bought a second hand
> ATA100disc the other day, in good condition, for $5.00.
> Regards,

Hard drives for laptops are far more expensive

thank you

--
Pol

Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:12:25PM +0100, pol wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> > How do you know its physically crashed? If it is physically crashed,
> > the head are probably dead too. If you try, what errors do you get?
>
> The laptop fell about one meter to the floor, while it was running.
> I can't rmemeber the error messages, but they were sugegsting something
> unusal had happened. to the /usr partition. I cannot be mounted, so i get
> the prompt, login through the ash, a very limited number of commands
> available.
> Fsck'ed the /usr partition, everything should have been fixed, yet 'mount'
> cannot mount /usr - the same messages as at boot.
>
> While the disk has been damaged, the heads seem to be working.
>
> > Try booting up a live CD like GRML, format the whole drive as one
> > filesystem having it check for badblocks. Have tail -f /var/syslog
> > runing in another VT and watch the errors. Also listen to the drive.
> >

> No noise from the drive.
> I'll give GRML a try

Since its only the /usr directory (presumably its own partition), don't
reformat it or you'll have to reinstall. If it's ext2/3, use
# e2fsck -c -c /dev/xxx

which will do a read/write/read/write of every block
(read the existing data, write test data, read test data,
compare, re-write existing data).

It should also cause the drive to do its own badblock remapping if it
has spare blocks left.

Doug.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:19 AM
pol

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Since its only the /usr directory (presumably its own partition), don't
> reformat it or you'll have to reinstall. If it's ext2/3, use
> # e2fsck -c -c /dev/xxx

That was my first recovering oeration.
It is about 10 hours 'fsck.ext3' is running now, yet less than half
partition has been scanned. My /usr partition is 2 GB.
Is it possible to pause the process, so as to be able to restart fsck later?

Thank you
--
Pol

Old 01-07-2008, 01:00 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 08:19:16AM +0100, pol wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > Since its only the /usr directory (presumably its own partition), don't
> > reformat it or you'll have to reinstall. If it's ext2/3, use
> > # e2fsck -c -c /dev/xxx
>
> That was my first recovering oeration.
> It is about 10 hours 'fsck.ext3' is running now, yet less than half
> partition has been scanned. My /usr partition is 2 GB.
> Is it possible to pause the process, so as to be able to restart fsck later?

I am not aware of that option.

Has anything shown up in /var/log/syslog to indicate any drive problems?

When you say 'fsck.ext3', did you use '-c -c' or not? If not, it will
only sort out the file system it won't look for bad blocks.

Probably another 12 hrs to go.

Doug.