-   -   mount dvd error (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/30079-mount-dvd-error.html)

Andrei Popescu 01-06-2008 10:54 AM

mount dvd error

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:28:28PM +1100, hce wrote:
> On 1/6/08, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:34:30PM +1100, hce wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I tried to mount a dvd drive and got an error, is it correct file
> > > sytem type? what is wrong to the mount command?
> > >
> > > $ mount -t udf /dev/hdc /media/disk
> > > mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
> > > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
> > > missing codepage or other error
> > > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> > > dmesg | tail or so
> >
> > Try not specifying a filesystem and mount will try to guess it.
>
> That did not work in the first place:
>
> $ sudo mount /dev/hdc /media/disk
> Password:
> mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Ok, then try iso9660.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-06-2008 02:50 PM

mount dvd error

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 01:54:53PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:28:28PM +1100, hce wrote:

> > > Try not specifying a filesystem and mount will try to guess it.
> >
> > That did not work in the first place:
> >
> > $ sudo mount /dev/hdc /media/disk
> > Password:
> > mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
> > mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> Ok, then try iso9660.

If that doesn't work, there could be damage to the disk. Try cdck and
see what it says.

Doug.

hce 01-08-2008 10:10 AM

mount dvd error

On 1/7/08, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 01:54:53PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> > > That did not work in the first place:
> > >
> > > $ sudo mount /dev/hdc /media/disk
> > > Password:
> > > mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
> > > mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> >
> > Ok, then try iso9660.
>
> If that doesn't work, there could be damage to the disk. Try cdck and
> see what it says.

Is "cdck" a command? I could not find it, or should I install it, what
is the package?

Thank you.

Jim

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-08-2008 03:15 PM

mount dvd error

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:10:14PM +1100, hce wrote:

> Is "cdck" a command? I could not find it, or should I install it, what
> is the package?

package cdck.

hce 01-09-2008 08:36 AM

mount dvd error

On 1/9/08, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:10:14PM +1100, hce wrote:
>
> > Is "cdck" a command? I could not find it, or should I install it, what
> > is the package?
> >

> package cdck.

All right, I installed cdck package. Here is the interesting test:

1. In my linux box for a DVD which could not be read, it was an error:
$ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc
Unable to read TOC because unable to read TOC, reason: Input/output error.

But, if I put that dvd disk to another machine Window XP OS, it works fine.

2. In my linux box, I put another DVD disk:

$ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc

! TOC and lseek() return different information about size , using
lseek()'s number of sectors which is 2077024

Reading sectors 1-2077024
2077024 ok

CD overall:
Sectors total: 2077024:
Good sectors: 2077024:
Bad sectors (incl. with poor timing): 0
CD timings:
Minimal = 11 usec (0.000011s)
Maximal = 151716 usec (0.151716s)
Average = 204 usec (0.000204s)

The linux box DVD drive works fine for some disks, but not for one
disk which can be read from a window XP box, what is that tell me, my
linux box dvd drive (LG Multi RW) is low quality, or not reliable?

3. Is it correct for any blank CD / DVD it prints out:

$ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdd
Unable to read TOC because unable to open cdrom '/dev/hdd', reason: No
medium found

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-09-2008 01:21 PM

mount dvd error

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:36:22PM +1100, hce wrote:
> On 1/9/08, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:10:14PM +1100, hce wrote:
> >
> > > Is "cdck" a command? I could not find it, or should I install it, what
> > > is the package?
> > >

> > package cdck.
>
> All right, I installed cdck package. Here is the interesting test:
>
> 1. In my linux box for a DVD which could not be read, it was an error:
> $ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc
> Unable to read TOC because unable to read TOC, reason: Input/output error.

Why sudo? If you are able to play a cd or watch a dvd as yourself then
you shouldn't need sudo. If you can't I don't know if sudo would help.

> But, if I put that dvd disk to another machine Window XP OS, it works fine.
>
> 2. In my linux box, I put another DVD disk:
>
> $ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc
>
> ! TOC and lseek() return different information about size , using
> lseek()'s number of sectors which is 2077024
>
> Reading sectors 1-2077024
> 2077024 ok
>
> CD overall:
> Sectors total: 2077024:
> Good sectors: 2077024:
> Bad sectors (incl. with poor timing): 0
> CD timings:
> Minimal = 11 usec (0.000011s)
> Maximal = 151716 usec (0.151716s)
> Average = 204 usec (0.000204s)
>
> The linux box DVD drive works fine for some disks, but not for one
> disk which can be read from a window XP box, what is that tell me, my
> linux box dvd drive (LG Multi RW) is low quality, or not reliable?

Same drive as me, I think, and I never have any problems.

> 3. Is it correct for any blank CD / DVD it prints out:
>
> $ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdd
> Unable to read TOC because unable to open cdrom '/dev/hdd', reason: No
> medium found

Well, any blank CD / DVD wouldn't have a TOC. cdck may not be written
to handle such things gracefully. The drive/driver also may not be able
to tell the difference between no medium and blank medium if you ask it
to read the medium.

If, with a known good CD, if you can't play it as yourself, i.e. without
sudo, then your problem may be a permissions thing. Ensure that you
are in the cdrom, audio, and video groups. Solve this problem first.

Then use cdck without sudo.

Re DVDs, have you got the codecs from debian-multimedia.org? I.e. do
you have their repository in your sources.list and do you have the
necessary recommended/suggest packages of the dvd libs? You may be
missing whatever it is you need to play that DVD.

Doug.

hce 01-11-2008 07:46 AM

mount dvd error

On 1/10/08, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:36:22PM +1100, hce wrote:

> > > package cdck.
> >
> > All right, I installed cdck package. Here is the interesting test:
> >
> > 1. In my linux box for a DVD which could not be read, it was an error:
> > $ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc
> > Unable to read TOC because unable to read TOC, reason: Input/output error.
> >

> Why sudo? If you are able to play a cd or watch a dvd as yourself then
> you shouldn't need sudo. If you can't I don't know if sudo would help.

I acutally tried both sudo or without sudo, it got the same result.
You are right, I should not use the sudo in the first place.

> > But, if I put that dvd disk to another machine Window XP OS, it works fine.
> >
> > 2. In my linux box, I put another DVD disk:
> >
> > $ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdc
> >
> > ! TOC and lseek() return different information about size , using
> > lseek()'s number of sectors which is 2077024
> >
> > Reading sectors 1-2077024
> > 2077024 ok
> >
> > CD overall:
> > Sectors total: 2077024:
> > Good sectors: 2077024:
> > Bad sectors (incl. with poor timing): 0
> > CD timings:
> > Minimal = 11 usec (0.000011s)
> > Maximal = 151716 usec (0.151716s)
> > Average = 204 usec (0.000204s)
> >
> > The linux box DVD drive works fine for some disks, but not for one
> > disk which can be read from a window XP box, what is that tell me, my
> > linux box dvd drive (LG Multi RW) is low quality, or not reliable?
> >

> Same drive as me, I think, and I never have any problems.
>
> > 3. Is it correct for any blank CD / DVD it prints out:
> >
> > $ sudo cdck -d /dev/hdd
> > Unable to read TOC because unable to open cdrom '/dev/hdd', reason: No
> > medium found
>
> Well, any blank CD / DVD wouldn't have a TOC. cdck may not be written
> to handle such things gracefully. The drive/driver also may not be able
> to tell the difference between no medium and blank medium if you ask it
> to read the medium.
>
> If, with a known good CD, if you can't play it as yourself, i.e. without
> sudo, then your problem may be a permissions thing. Ensure that you
> are in the cdrom, audio, and video groups. Solve this problem first.
>
> Then use cdck without sudo.
>
> Re DVDs, have you got the codecs from debian-multimedia.org? I.e. do
> you have their repository in your sources.list and do you have the
> necessary recommended/suggest packages of the dvd libs? You may be
> missing whatever it is you need to play that DVD.

I have no problem to play DVD video as long as the DVD disk can be
detected and read by the DVD drive.

The problem was only for the particular DVD disk which cannot be
detected and read by my debina linux, but can be read by a window XP
machine, that is really bothers me.

Thank you.

Jim