Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 AM
phillinux

Default Hacking the OLPC XO

Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???

I'm a teacher who would be interested in adapting the XO for
secondary school students. I would need to get a lightweight version
of open office running on that machine.

Is the XO GUI Python based??
Could Open Office run on it??
DSL uses a lightweight GUI. Could that run on an OX and could it
support OpenOffice??

I guess the question I'm asking is, which is more possible:
1. Getting Open Office to run on the existing XO OS & GUI or
2. Could another GUI and apps be built on the XO kernel??

Does any of this make sense or is this a pipe dream?

Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Carl Fink

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:29:55PM -0500, phillinux wrote:
> Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???
>
> I'm a teacher who would be interested in adapting the XO for
> secondary school students. I would need to get a lightweight version
> of open office running on that machine.
>
> Is the XO GUI Python based??
> Could Open Office run on it??
> DSL uses a lightweight GUI. Could that run on an OX and could it
> support OpenOffice??
>
> I guess the question I'm asking is, which is more possible:
> 1. Getting Open Office to run on the existing XO OS & GUI or
> 2. Could another GUI and apps be built on the XO kernel??
>
> Does any of this make sense or is this a pipe dream?

You can buy the Asus EEE PC for $299, and it already comes with
OpenOffice.org.

It isn't as cool--no portable charger, no sunlight mode, and so forth, but
it's closer to what you want.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 AM
phillinux

At 10:41 PM 1/5/2008, you wrote:

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:29:55PM -0500, phillinux wrote:
> Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???
>
> I'm a teacher who would be interested in adapting the XO for
> secondary school students. I would need to get a lightweight version
> of open office running on that machine.
>
> Is the XO GUI Python based??
> Could Open Office run on it??
> DSL uses a lightweight GUI. Could that run on an OX and could it
> support OpenOffice??
>
> I guess the question I'm asking is, which is more possible:
> 1. Getting Open Office to run on the existing XO OS & GUI or
> 2. Could another GUI and apps be built on the XO kernel??
>
> Does any of this make sense or is this a pipe dream?

You can buy the Asus EEE PC for $299, and it already comes with
OpenOffice.org.

It isn't as cool--no portable charger, no sunlight mode, and so forth, but
it's closer to what you want.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!
Part of this is believing in the project of putting a $100 laptop in
the hands of kids in the third world.

BTW, there's a real difference between $100 and $299

Old 01-06-2008, 03:31 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:29:55PM -0500, phillinux wrote:
> Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???
>
> I'm a teacher who would be interested in adapting the XO for secondary
> school students. I would need to get a lightweight version of open office
> running on that machine.
>
> Is the XO GUI Python based??
> Could Open Office run on it??
> DSL uses a lightweight GUI. Could that run on an OX and could it support
> OpenOffice??
>
> I guess the question I'm asking is, which is more possible:
> 1. Getting Open Office to run on the existing XO OS & GUI or
> 2. Could another GUI and apps be built on the XO kernel??

Which is more possible? Too many factors involved to answer.

So back up. what allows Oo.o to run on your linux box now? An
X-windows system. You don't even need a window manager. So, does the
XO have X? If so, and provided other minimum dependencies are met,
then yes you could run Oo.o on it. You might have better success with
some other, more lightweight apps though: abiword, gnumeric, etc.

And, what allows guis and apps to be built for a particular kernel?
Well, they're not built for the kernel, more like built for a
particular libc, but we'll ignore that part. What is needed to build
anything for a particular system is a compiler and development headers
for the various libraries used. Seeing as some apps have been ported
to the XO, that makes it a pretty good bet that there is a compiler
and the requisite libraries available.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:34 AM
David

phillinux wrote:

At 10:41 PM 1/5/2008, you wrote:

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:29:55PM -0500, phillinux wrote:
> Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???
>
> I'm a teacher who would be interested in adapting the XO for
> secondary school students. I would need to get a lightweight version
> of open office running on that machine.

<snip>

Why O.O.?
If you're looking for a small config., why not go for individual apps
like Abiword and Gnumeric?

Why take on the bloat of O.O.?

These two apps would handle a large part of any study requirement,
before looking for anything else you may need.

Presentations? If you need that? - Scribus?
Drawing? - Inkscape/Xfig?

With a classroom situation, you're probably better off with thin clients
working off a central server.
Have Postgresql sitting on that so that database facility isn't required
on each machine.
Debian-edu has a full spectrum of packages to assist in this sort of
scenario. Also applications such as this:

http://packages.debian.org/etch/italc-client

...could do with a look.

> I guess the question I'm asking is, which is more possible:
> 1. Getting Open Office to run on the existing XO OS & GUI

Why O.O.?

or

> 2. Could another GUI and apps be built on the XO kernel??

Fluxbox works in light situations.

> Does any of this make sense or is this a pipe dream?

I don't see why it's unachievable.
First the dream, with the intermediate step of positive action, to reach
the final goal.

Take a good honest look at the dream first though.

The school bully/dope dealer/alcoholic parent (with OLPC, we're
generally looking at third world, with all the socio/psychological
aspects that go with that) could wind up with ownership of the laptop.

With learning - either regional-isolated over the net, or within the
classic classroom aspect, some measure of control in minimising loss is
provided.

The journey between home and school has always presented problems where
the portable property factor exists.

David Palmer
Linux User - #352034

Old 01-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Scott Gifford

phillinux <phillinux@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???

You can get images of XO to run in a virtual machine to check it out
and hack on yourself. I don't remember where I got mine, but I found
it easily from their Web site.

Good luck,

-----Scott.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:56 AM
David

Scott Gifford wrote:

phillinux <phillinux@nyc.rr.com> writes:

Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???

You can get images of XO to run in a virtual machine to check it out
and hack on yourself. I don't remember where I got mine, but I found
it easily from their Web site.

If you're looking for company, the IBM 'developerworks site is involved
and writing python and other programming tutorials to suit.

David Palmer
Linux User - #352034

Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Carl Fink

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:48:24PM -0500, phillinux wrote:
> At 10:41 PM 1/5/2008, you wrote: [that's me]

> >You can buy the Asus EEE PC for $299, and it already comes with
> >OpenOffice.org.
> >
> >It isn't as cool--no portable charger, no sunlight mode, and so forth, but
> >it's closer to what you want.

> Part of this is believing in the project of putting a $100 laptop in
> the hands of kids in the third world.

Fair enough, but ...

> BTW, there's a real difference between $100 and $299

The OLPC XO costs $280 for non-governments at last report (in quantities
under 1000).

Okay, I looked it up. That program is now over, ending 31 December of 2007.
Now you cannot buy them at all, apparently.

http://laptopgiving.org/en/faq.php

Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 AM
phillinux

At 11:31 PM 1/5/2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:29:55PM -0500, phillinux wrote:
> Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???
>
> I'm a teacher who would be interested in adapting the XO for secondary
> school students. I would need to get a lightweight version of open office
> running on that machine.
>
> Is the XO GUI Python based??
> Could Open Office run on it??
> DSL uses a lightweight GUI. Could that run on an OX and could it support
> OpenOffice??
>
> I guess the question I'm asking is, which is more possible:
> 1. Getting Open Office to run on the existing XO OS & GUI or
> 2. Could another GUI and apps be built on the XO kernel??

Which is more possible? Too many factors involved to answer.

So back up. what allows Oo.o to run on your linux box now? An
X-windows system. You don't even need a window manager. So, does the
XO have X? If so, and provided other minimum dependencies are met,
then yes you could run Oo.o on it. You might have better success with
some other, more lightweight apps though: abiword, gnumeric, etc.

And, what allows guis and apps to be built for a particular kernel?
Well, they're not built for the kernel, more like built for a
particular libc, but we'll ignore that part. What is needed to build
anything for a particular system is a compiler and development headers
for the various libraries used. Seeing as some apps have been ported
to the XO, that makes it a pretty good bet that there is a compiler
and the requisite libraries available.

For starters, What is O.o.o?? does this refer to object oriented
development tools??

I'm not a developer, I did main frame programming in CoBOL a million
years ago and barely have the skills to write shell scripts much less
a GUI or sophisticated apps like a spreadsheet. I'm looking to find
a way to get Open office or any office suite that will
translate/convert common file formats - like microsoft's - so kids
can co-operate on projects.

The kernel on th XO is a redhat derivative (I think) because I saw
some selinux stuff in there. I don't think it has any loaded
modules. Everything seems to be compiled into a tight kernel. I
haven't figured out how to get it into single user mode, there's a
GUI terminal app. it has great wireless but I don't know what
hardware it has because lspci lsusb and lsmod don't work. ,aybe I'll
pull those programs from another machne.

Thin clients are nice for a lab, but a lot of educators are looking
for a light cheep machine kids can carry around and take home. A
graphic browser is essential for research and frankly if kids can
listen to music and play with it as well, their work center becomes
a real source of enjoyment. and at 100 bucks, no tragedy if it gets
ripped off or lost. Most school districts pay $50 and $60 for crappy
text books.

While the OLPC folks are focused on the third world (a really great
thing) I have my sights set on my inner city kids; some of whom come
to school with their Macbook pros, and others who don't have a pot to
piss in or a window to throw it out!! A functional $100 laptop (like
the Asus EEE, only cheaper) would be hard for school administrators
to refuse.

Thanks for your fee back. I'll look into the IBM 'developerworks
site and see what their doing

Phil

Old 01-06-2008, 05:54 AM
David

phillinux wrote:

At 11:31 PM 1/5/2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:29:55PM -0500, phillinux wrote:
> Did anyone here work on the OLPC XO project???

So back up. what allows Oo.o to run on your linux box now? An
X-windows system. You don't even need a window manager. So, does the
XO have X? If so, and provided other minimum dependencies are met,
then yes you could run Oo.o on it. You might have better success with
some other, more lightweight apps though: abiword, gnumeric, etc.

And, what allows guis and apps to be built for a particular kernel?
Well, they're not built for the kernel, more like built for a
particular libc, but we'll ignore that part. What is needed to build
anything for a particular system is a compiler and development headers
for the various libraries used. Seeing as some apps have been ported
to the XO, that makes it a pretty good bet that there is a compiler
and the requisite libraries available.

For starters, What is O.o.o?? does this refer to object oriented
development tools??

O.O.o = Open Office.org

<snip>

I'm looking to find a way
to get Open office or any office suite that will translate/convert
common file formats - like microsoft's - so kids can co-operate on
projects.

These are all possible.
In Abiword, for example, teach your pupils how to save in RTF and any
other Word Processor will recognise and display it.

The kernel on th XO is a redhat derivative (I think) because I saw some
selinux stuff in there.

No indication - Debian features this also, but I believe, at last
advice, that OLPC was based on Fedora, a RH derivative.

I don't think it has any loaded modules.

It will have or very little will run.

<snip>

Thin clients are nice for a lab,

...and very productive in the educational context also.

but a lot of educators are looking for
a light cheep machine kids can carry around and take home. A graphic
browser is essential for research

Opera is probably the most featureful, coupled with the smallest of
footprints for that type.

and frankly if kids can listen to
music and play with it as well, their work center becomes a real source
of enjoyment

and no homework gets done.

. and at 100 bucks, no tragedy if it gets ripped off or

lost.

Depends on your budget.

Most school districts pay $50 and $60 for crappy text books.

I don't think they'll be throwing the books away altogether.

While the OLPC folks are focused on the third world (a really great
thing) I have my sights set on my inner city kids; some of whom come to
school with their Macbook pros, and others who don't have a pot to piss
in or a window to throw it out!! A functional $100 laptop (like the
Asus EEE, only cheaper) would be hard for school administrators to refuse.

They would love a thin client-based network even more.
Especially with the tie in with administration, performance assessment
graphs, statistics and etc as an aid to remedial teaching and the ilk
coming off the server.

Poorer kids could and would stay back after school.

Thanks for your fee back.

We didn't charge one, but now that you mention it:

http://www.debian.org/donations#money_donations

I'll look into the IBM 'developerworks site

and see what their doing

I drop by occasionally.
See you there.
--