Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Rodney D. Myers

Default VNC - I know, just not what I was expecting

I can get SSH/VNC to work on my debian machine.

My question. How do I get the default screen to open up, or to get
something other than the 'blank' screen with a shell open.

Thanks.

---
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers.42@gmail.com>
ICQ#: AIM#: YAHOO:
18002350 mailman452 mailman42_5

Ben Franklin - 1759

Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 02:27:18PM -0800, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> I can get SSH/VNC to work on my debian machine.
>
> My question. How do I get the default screen to open up, or to get
> something other than the 'blank' screen with a shell open.

I don't understand. From a command line, you ssh to another box and get
a command line. If you want to run an X app, use an xterm, ensure that
you are forwarding X (just using ssh -X may work), then run the X app
from that command line. The application will be running on the remote
CPU (etc) but will use your Xorg and appear on your screen.

Doug.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Magnus Therning

Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> I can get SSH/VNC to work on my debian machine.
>
> My question. How do I get the default screen to open up, or to get
> something other than the 'blank' screen with a shell open.

IIRC, you can stick a call to gnome-session in your ~/.vnc/startup to
get a GNOME desktop in VNC. This page seems to back me up
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-tutorials-howtos-reference-material/971-installing-running-vnc-redhat-rpm-linux.html

/M

--
Magnus Therning (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus´╝*therning´╝Äorg Jabber: magnus´╝Ätherning´╝*gmail´╝Äcom

What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
the other bad monads?
-- Daveman

Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 AM
"Rodney D. Myers"

I can get SSH/VNC to work on my debian machine.

My question. How do I get the default screen to open up, or to get
something other than the 'blank' screen with a shell open.

I don't understand. From a command line, you ssh to another box and
get
a command line. If you want to run an X app, use an xterm, ensure
that

you are forwarding X (just using ssh -X may work), then run the X app
from that command line. The application will be running on the remote
CPU (etc) but will use your Xorg and appear on your screen.

Doug.

Correct. This I know/understand. I help 2 people, who do not live
locally, with their debian/(k)ubuntu computers.

There are times, when it would be very handy, to 'see' they are
seeing, when they are actually attempting to do things.

---

Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 03:52:14AM -0800, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2008, at 7:31 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 02:27:18PM -0800, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
>>> I can get SSH/VNC to work on my debian machine.
>>>
>>> My question. How do I get the default screen to open up, or to get
>>> something other than the 'blank' screen with a shell open.
>>
>> I don't understand. From a command line, you ssh to another box and get
>> a command line. If you want to run an X app, use an xterm, ensure that
>> you are forwarding X (just using ssh -X may work), then run the X app
>> from that command line. The application will be running on the remote
>> CPU (etc) but will use your Xorg and appear on your screen.
>>
>> Doug.
>
> Correct. This I know/understand. I help 2 people, who do not live locally,
> with their debian/(k)ubuntu computers.
>
> There are times, when it would be very handy, to 'see' they are seeing,
> when they are actually attempting to do things.

You need x11vnc.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)