Old 01-05-2008, 03:57 PM
"Shane D"

Default Blind Debian Potential User

Hello Debian Users,

My name is Shane. I am new to the list. I am trying to install Debian
on an older laptop of mine so that I can use it for an Asterisk box. I
run a couple of radioshows, and need to take calls.

Anyway, I am questing a way to install Debian with Speech. I do not
have a hardware synthesizer. I want a way of
(A) Being able to install debian with speech
(B) Having speech to use in the shell.

I don't want to use a graphical interface once it is installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Shane

--
-Shane
Blog: http://blind-geek.com/blog/

Old 01-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Ralph Katz

On 01/05/2008 11:57 AM, Shane D wrote:
> Hello Debian Users,
>
> My name is Shane. I am new to the list. I am trying to install Debian
> on an older laptop of mine so that I can use it for an Asterisk box. I
> run a couple of radioshows, and need to take calls.
>
> Anyway, I am questing a way to install Debian with Speech. I do not
> have a hardware synthesizer. I want a way of
> (A) Being able to install debian with speech
> (B) Having speech to use in the shell.
>
> I don't want to use a graphical interface once it is installed.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
>
> Shane

Hi Shane,

While you await a knowledgeable reply, here's a list of debian packages
in stable (Etch) to examine. I'm only familiar with flite, which is
trivial to install and use on an old box. I use it for proof-reading
sometimes, but it will read back text piped to it very nicely.

Regards,
Ralph

~$ apt-cache search speech |sort
acroread-plugin-speech - This plugin enable the Read Out Loud feature in
acroread
apertium - Shallow-transfer machine translation engine
brltty-flite - Access software for a blind person using a soft braille
terminal
cl-speech-dispatcher - Common Lisp interface to Speech Dispatcher
cowsay - A configurable talking cow
eflite - Festival-Lite based emacspeak speech server
ekg - console Gadu Gadu client for UNIX systems
emacspeak - speech output interface to Emacs
emacspeak-ss - Emacspeak speech server for several synthesizers
epos - Text-to-speech system
espeak - A multi-lingual software speech synthesizer
espeak-data - A multi-lingual software speech synthesizer: speech data files
festival-czech - Czech support for Festival speech synthesis system
festival-dev - development kit for the Festival speech synthesis system
festival-freebsoft-utils - Festival extensions and utilities
festival - general multi-lingual speech synthesis system
festival-te - This package provides the modules required to synthesize
speech
festlex-ifd - Italian support for Festival
festlex-poslex - Part of speech lexicons and ngram from English
festvox-ellpc11k - Castilian Spanish male speaker for Festival
festvox-kallpc16k - American English male speaker for festival, 16khz
sample rate
festvox-kallpc8k - American English male speaker for festival, 8khz
sample rate
festvox-kdlpc16k - American English male speaker for festival, 16khz
sample rate
festvox-kdlpc8k - American English male speaker for festival, 8khz
sample rate
festvox-rablpc16k - British English male speaker for festival, 16khz
sample rate
festvox-rablpc8k - British English male speaker for festival, 8khz
sample rate
festvox-suopuhe-common - Common files for Festival Finnish speakers
festvox-suopuhe-lj - Finnish female speaker for Festival
festvox-suopuhe-mv - Finnish male speaker for festival
festvox-te-nsk - This is Telugu male speaker for Festival
flite1-dev - A small run-time speech synthesis engine - static libraries
flite - A small run-time speech synthesis engine
gpsdrive - Car navigation system
gstreamer0.8-festival - Festival speech synthesis plugin for GStreamer
gstreamer0.8-gsm - GSM plugin for GStreamer
gstreamer0.8-speex - Speex plugin for GStreamer
ihu - Qt VoIP softphone with an own, encrypted protocol
jbofihe - A parser for the lojban language
kmouth - a type-and-say KDE frontend for speech synthesizers
ksayit - a frontend for the KDE Text-to-Speech system
kttsd - a Text-to-Speech system for KDE
kttsd-contrib-plugins - the KDE Text-to-Speech system
libespeak1 - A multi-lingual software speech synthesizer: shared library
libespeak-dev - A multi-lingual software speech synthesizer: development
files
libestools1.2-dev - Edinburgh Speech Tools Library - developer's
libraries and docs
libestools1.2 - Edinburgh Speech Tools Library
libflite1 - a small run-time speech synthesis engine - shared libraries
libgnome-speech3-dev - GNOME text-to-speech library (development headers)
libgnome-speech3 - GNOME text-to-speech library
libgsm1-dev - Development libraries for a GSM speech compressor
libgsm1 - Shared libraries for GSM speech compressor
libgsm-tools - User binaries for a GSM speech compressor
libmythes-dev - simple thesaurus library (development files)
libspeechd2 - Speech Dispatcher: Shared libraries
libspeechd-dev - Speech Dispatcher: Development libraries and header files
libspeex1 - The Speex Speech Codec
libspeex-dev - The Speex Speech Codec
libsphinx2-dev - speech recognition library - development kit
libsphinx2g0 - speech recognition library
libtime-human-perl - convert localtime() format to "speaking clock" time
libtorch3c2 - State of the art machine learning library - runtime library
libtorch3-dev - State of the art machine learning library - development
files
posixtestsuite - POSIX conformance test suite (dummy package)
praat - program for speech analysis and synthesis
python-speechd - Python interface to Speech Dispatcher
recite - English text speech synthesizer
screader - Screen reader using software or hardware speech synthesizer
sound-icons - Sounds for speech enabled applications
speechd-el-doc-cs - speechd-el documentation in Czech
speechd-el - Emacs speech client using Speech Dispatcher
speech-dispatcher - Common interface to speech synthesizers
speech-dispatcher-doc-cs - Speech Dispatcher documentation in Czech
speech-dispatcher-festival - Festival support for Speech Dispatcher
speech-tools-doc - Documentation for the Edinburgh Speech Tools
speech-tools - Edinburgh Speech Tools - user binaries
speex - The Speex Speech Codec
sphinx2-bin - speech recognition utilities
sphinx2-hmm-6k - speech recognition library - default acoustic model
tiemu - Texas Instruments calculators emulator
transcriber - Transcribe speech data using an integrated editor
wavesurfer - Sound Manipulation Program
wsola - allows one to speed/slow audio without altering its pitch
xmms-speex - Speex Speech Codec - XMMS input plugin

Old 01-06-2008, 06:27 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Shane,
If you are slightly sighted, then you may want to consider KDE. Almost
all KDE applications have integrated text-to-speech functions. You
only need to install festival and KDE takes care of the integration.
You will then have a speech-enabled GUI environment, including web
browser. I use it extensively.

As the OP is using text-to-speech equipment, I am top-posting. Please
excuse me, and see my sig for why not to top-post.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Tapio Kelloniemi

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:57:38AM -0500, Shane D wrote:
> Anyway, I am questing a way to install Debian with Speech. I do not
> have a hardware synthesizer. I want a way of
> (A) Being able to install debian with speech

I doubt it is possible, not sure though. I have done it using braille.

> (B) Having speech to use in the shell.

I don't know what screader is, but if it is not for the console, then you
have to use emacspeak, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The reason why
I haven't done it is because it might (I don't know) hard to configure,
and because Emacs's terminal emulator is a bit clumsy to use.

--
Tapio

Old 01-06-2008, 12:09 PM
"Shane D"

Thank you for the suggestion.

I am just looking for a simple shell reader that will allow me to edit
the .conf files for Asterisk with speech.

I need to use the consol and to edit files. That's all I need on this machine.

I have installed Festival and Flite. Has anyone used Screader before?

Shane