Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Micha

Default problems with mrxvt

I am having a couple of serious problems with mrxvt which I was wondering if
someone knows how to fix.

1. With aptitude, when going between lines with the arrow keys, it seems to mix
up drawing the lines, so the highlighted line show one package and the bottom
window shows the description of another. Also I get double lines, such as when
opening the search window and going to the ok button it is drawn bellow the
previous ok instead of highlighting it (seems to be an off by one error with
the line numbers).

2. With vim, when I open it in console it seems to throw a few characters at
vim so if I press something it goes crazy, pressing arrow down deletes a
couple of lines and goes into insert mode, pressing 50gg will delete 50 lines
and go into insert mode, etc.

Any ideas on what is causing this? I'm using the amd64 architecture (core duo
machine) with xfce.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Micha

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:55:27 +0200
Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> I am having a couple of serious problems with mrxvt which I was wondering if
> someone knows how to fix.
>
> 1. With aptitude, when going between lines with the arrow keys, it seems to
> mix up drawing the lines, so the highlighted line show one package and the
> bottom window shows the description of another. Also I get double lines, such
> as when opening the search window and going to the ok button it is drawn
> bellow the previous ok instead of highlighting it (seems to be an off by one
> error with the line numbers).

Turns out this is due to lack of utf-8 support in mrxvt, changing the en_US or
he_IL locale solved the problem

> 2. With vim, when I open it in console it seems to throw a few characters at
> vim so if I press something it goes crazy, pressing arrow down deletes a
> couple of lines and goes into insert mode, pressing 50gg will delete 50 lines
> and go into insert mode, etc.

No solution here yet, this is not utf-8 related and I think also happens in
other programs, in aptitude I see a delay and refresh when pressing arrow down
for the first time which I am guessing is related to the same issue of some
characters being sent the to program for some reason.

Fixed some amd64 related warnings in the code also, but it didn't help.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:55 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Jan 5, 2008 5:45 AM, Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:55:27 +0200
> Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
>
> > I am having a couple of serious problems with mrxvt which I was wondering if
> > someone knows how to fix.
> >
> > 1. With aptitude, when going between lines with the arrow keys, it seems to
> > mix up drawing the lines, so the highlighted line show one package and the
> > bottom window shows the description of another. Also I get double lines, such
> > as when opening the search window and going to the ok button it is drawn
> > bellow the previous ok instead of highlighting it (seems to be an off by one
> > error with the line numbers).
> >

> Turns out this is due to lack of utf-8 support in mrxvt, changing the en_US or
> he_IL locale solved the problem

Or you could use the package "rxvt-unicode-ml" aka urxvt (multilingual)

> > 2. With vim, when I open it in console it seems to throw a few characters at
> > vim so if I press something it goes crazy, pressing arrow down deletes a
> > couple of lines and goes into insert mode, pressing 50gg will delete 50 lines
> > and go into insert mode, etc.
> >

> No solution here yet, this is not utf-8 related and I think also happens in
> other programs, in aptitude I see a delay and refresh when pressing arrow down
> for the first time which I am guessing is related to the same issue of some
> characters being sent the to program for some reason.
>
> Fixed some amd64 related warnings in the code also, but it didn't help.
>

> > Any ideas on what is causing this? I'm using the amd64 architecture (core duo
> > machine) with xfce.
> >
> > Thanks

Does this happen in, say, xterm? What about on the console (no X)?
What is the environmental variable TERM set to?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Micha

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:55:27 -0800
"Kelly Clowers" <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2008 5:45 AM, Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:55:27 +0200
> > Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> >
> > > I am having a couple of serious problems with mrxvt which I was wondering
> > > if someone knows how to fix.
> > >
> > > 1. With aptitude, when going between lines with the arrow keys, it seems
> > > to mix up drawing the lines, so the highlighted line show one package and
> > > the bottom window shows the description of another. Also I get double
> > > lines, such as when opening the search window and going to the ok button
> > > it is drawn bellow the previous ok instead of highlighting it (seems to
> > > be an off by one error with the line numbers).
> > >

> > Turns out this is due to lack of utf-8 support in mrxvt, changing the en_US
> > or he_IL locale solved the problem
>
> Or you could use the package "rxvt-unicode-ml" aka urxvt (multilingual)

I use rxvt-unicode but the tabs extension isn't compatible with compiz which I
occasionally like and it takes 2-3 times more memory then mrxvt. Although my
main issue is the tabs I like. May just go back to xterm with screen (Although
it is missing a proper scrollbar). Couldn't find a good tabbed terminal. They
are either way to heavy and kde/gnome relient (kterm, gnome-terminal,
roxterminal), not compatible with compiz (urxvt with perl-tabs extension) or
not compatible with vim/aptitude, i.e mrxvt.

> > > 2. With vim, when I open it in console it seems to throw a few characters
> > > at vim so if I press something it goes crazy, pressing arrow down deletes
> > > a couple of lines and goes into insert mode, pressing 50gg will delete 50
> > > lines and go into insert mode, etc.
> > >

> > No solution here yet, this is not utf-8 related and I think also happens in
> > other programs, in aptitude I see a delay and refresh when pressing arrow
> > down for the first time which I am guessing is related to the same issue of
> > some characters being sent the to program for some reason.
> >
> > Fixed some amd64 related warnings in the code also, but it didn't help.
> >

> > > Any ideas on what is causing this? I'm using the amd64 architecture (core
> > > duo machine) with xfce.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> Does this happen in, say, xterm? What about on the console (no X)?
> What is the environmental variable TERM set to?

In every other terminal everything is OK. Also tried running it off some
computer I have access to over the net (my machine in UNI) and it was fine.
Tried purging and reinstalling mrxvt but it didn't help. Will try another user
later on, but I'm guessing it is a 64bit issue (although I don't have another
64bit machine to test it on).

TERM=rxvt

tried changing it but it didn't help

Old 01-13-2008, 03:41 AM
Celejar

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 22:06:35 +0200
Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

[snip]

> it is missing a proper scrollbar). Couldn't find a good tabbed terminal. They
> are either way to heavy and kde/gnome relient (kterm, gnome-terminal,
> roxterminal), not compatible with compiz (urxvt with perl-tabs extension) or
> not compatible with vim/aptitude, i.e mrxvt.

Have you tried xfce4-terminal? I'm no linux/cli guru, but I've been
using it for a while, and I like it. From the package description:

> For people that already know GNOME 2 terminal and are searching for a
> lighter but comparable replacement, Terminal might be the answer.

I haven't measured its resource usage, and it may still be too heavy
for your taste, but the dependency list is substantially shorter than
roxterm's. I run aptitude and vim in it all the time, and it works
fine.

Celejar

Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Micha

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:41:11 -0500
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 22:06:35 +0200
> Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
>

> [snip]
>
> > it is missing a proper scrollbar). Couldn't find a good tabbed terminal.
> > They are either way to heavy and kde/gnome relient (kterm, gnome-terminal,
> > roxterminal), not compatible with compiz (urxvt with perl-tabs extension) or
> > not compatible with vim/aptitude, i.e mrxvt.
>
> Have you tried xfce4-terminal? I'm no linux/cli guru, but I've been
> using it for a while, and I like it. From the package description:

for some reason it's redicoulously slugish to resize on my machine (core 2 duo
2Ghz, so it's not a cpu issue and with xfce4 desktop so it shouldn't be a
desktop issue). Up to a point that it can lock the machine if I try to
maximize/minimize it too many times (without realizing that it's trying to
respond)

Old 01-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:18:49 +0200
Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:41:11 -0500
> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 22:06:35 +0200
> > Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> >

> > [snip]
> >
> > > it is missing a proper scrollbar). Couldn't find a good tabbed terminal.
> > > They are either way to heavy and kde/gnome relient (kterm, gnome-terminal,
> > > roxterminal), not compatible with compiz (urxvt with perl-tabs extension) or
> > > not compatible with vim/aptitude, i.e mrxvt.
> >
> > Have you tried xfce4-terminal? I'm no linux/cli guru, but I've been
> > using it for a while, and I like it. From the package description:
> >

> for some reason it's redicoulously slugish to resize on my machine (core 2 duo
> 2Ghz, so it's not a cpu issue and with xfce4 desktop so it shouldn't be a
> desktop issue). Up to a point that it can lock the machine if I try to
> maximize/minimize it too many times (without realizing that it's trying to
> respond)

Hm. I know this won't help you, but resizing is pretty much
instantaneous on my Celeron M 1.6 Ghz machine. Why don't you file a
bug report?

Celejar

Old 01-14-2008, 03:33 AM
Nick Lidakis

Micha wrote:

for some reason it's redicoulously slugish to resize on my machine (core 2 duo
2Ghz, so it's not a cpu issue and with xfce4 desktop so it shouldn't be a
desktop issue). Up to a point that it can lock the machine if I try to
maximize/minimize it too many times (without realizing that it's trying to
respond)

I had the same issue on a desktop and a laptop with different GPU's, but
it always wasn't sluggish. Can't remember if it was a particular upgrade
that caused the issue. Whilst trying to research what the problem might
be I came across mrxvt. I kinda settled into using it and forgot about
xfce's terminal. Loads up so much quicker.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Micha

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:33:07 -0500
Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net> wrote:

> Micha wrote:
>

> > for some reason it's redicoulously slugish to resize on my machine (core 2
> > duo 2Ghz, so it's not a cpu issue and with xfce4 desktop so it shouldn't be
> > a desktop issue). Up to a point that it can lock the machine if I try to
> > maximize/minimize it too many times (without realizing that it's trying to
> > respond)
> >

> I had the same issue on a desktop and a laptop with different GPU's, but
> it always wasn't sluggish. Can't remember if it was a particular upgrade
> that caused the issue. Whilst trying to research what the problem might
> be I came across mrxvt. I kinda settled into using it and forgot about
> xfce's terminal. Loads up so much quicker.

mrxvt is great, although like I said earlier for some reason vim is messed up
(it deletes a few rows and goes into insert mode when pressing the arrow keys
for the first time).

It seems like some setup problem that I should solve at some point. Don't know
if it's because I'm working in 64bit or not