Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default menu size in Enlightenment

I tried out Enlightenment yesterday out of curiosity but the menu size
on my 1600x1200 display was so small it was unusable. Googling didn't
reveal any way to enlarge it. Is there one?

I expect I'll go back to Icewm anyway, as I always do, but I thought I;d
ask ...

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

Old 01-05-2008, 03:47 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:44:47AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I tried out Enlightenment yesterday out of curiosity but the menu size
> on my 1600x1200 display was so small it was unusable. Googling didn't
> reveal any way to enlarge it. Is there one?
>
> I expect I'll go back to Icewm anyway, as I always do, but I thought I;d
> ask ...

I haven't played with Enlightnment much, as I usually use Icewm too.
Since the docs are all embedded, the info has to be there. Try running
the main help thingy. Do you have tool-tips enabled where you get a
cartoon bubble popping up whenever you leave the mouse still?

I find I use Icewm because of the button bar: I can just click on the
icon for the app I want to start. I haven't figured out how to do that
for Enlightenment and I don't want to have to click to get a menu to
then click off of. What do you do?

If you still can't find your answer to Enlightenment, let me know and
I'll fire it up and see what I can find. Its installed (but not
default) on the other computer.

Doug.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 05 Jan 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:44:47AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I tried out Enlightenment yesterday out of curiosity but the menu size
> > on my 1600x1200 display was so small it was unusable. Googling didn't
> > reveal any way to enlarge it. Is there one?
> >
> > I expect I'll go back to Icewm anyway, as I always do, but I thought I;d
> > ask ...
>
> I haven't played with Enlightnment much, as I usually use Icewm too.
> Since the docs are all embedded, the info has to be there. Try running
> the main help thingy. Do you have tool-tips enabled where you get a
> cartoon bubble popping up whenever you leave the mouse still?
>
> I find I use Icewm because of the button bar: I can just click on the
> icon for the app I want to start. I haven't figured out how to do that
> for Enlightenment and I don't want to have to click to get a menu to
> then click off of. What do you do?
>
> If you still can't find your answer to Enlightenment, let me know and
> I'll fire it up and see what I can find. Its installed (but not
> default) on the other computer.
>
> Doug.

I couldn't see any way to alter the menu size in Enlightenment, no
matter how much I squinted at the tiny menus, though all sorts of other
things are configurable. If you find anything I'd be interested but it
isn't critical. As I say, I was only playing with it just to try it out.
I fire up other WMs from time to time, but Icewm does all I want or
need. It's also easy to configure. I use the menu more than the task
bar.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:29 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:53:56AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 05 Jan 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:44:47AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > I tried out Enlightenment yesterday out of curiosity but the menu size
> > > on my 1600x1200 display was so small it was unusable. Googling didn't
> > > reveal any way to enlarge it. Is there one?
> > >
> > > I expect I'll go back to Icewm anyway, as I always do, but I thought I;d
> > > ask ...
> >

> I couldn't see any way to alter the menu size in Enlightenment, no
> matter how much I squinted at the tiny menus, though all sorts of other
> things are configurable. If you find anything I'd be interested but it
> isn't critical. As I say, I was only playing with it just to try it out.
> I fire up other WMs from time to time, but Icewm does all I want or
> need. It's also easy to configure. I use the menu more than the task
> bar.

I went and had a look and couldn't find it either. I did a google searh
and it seems you either have to change themes or edit the theme
definition and in effect create a new, modified theme and use that. I
see a wish-list item for the next E to be able to edit the font.

Doug.