-   -   1024x768 tiny hard to read (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/29295-1024x768-tiny-hard-read.html)

01-05-2008 03:35 AM

1024x768 tiny hard to read

Dear Debian, I now own a LCD monitor that shall be used in its Native
Resolution of 1024x768. It replaces a CRT that was 800x600.

Now everything is so tiny and hard to read.

Given that I am determined to run my LCD in its Native Resolution,
what do I do to make everything now have bigger fonts, all with one
command? xorg.conf and xrandr I hereby declare off-limits.
/usr/share/doc/fontconfig is above my head.

I use xdm, icewm, emacs, xterm, iceweasel mostly.

Certainly there is one single line I can stick in some configuration
file (.xsession, .Xresources?) to make all theses applications and
their toolbars now have bigger fonts all at once, no?

"Sridhar M.A." 01-05-2008 06:47 AM

1024x768 tiny hard to read

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 12:35:52PM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Given that I am determined to run my LCD in its Native Resolution,
> what do I do to make everything now have bigger fonts, all with one
> command? xorg.conf and xrandr I hereby declare off-limits.
> /usr/share/doc/fontconfig is above my head.

Try dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config. The questions are quite simple
to answer.

HTH,

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

The best prophet of the future is the past.

01-05-2008 05:23 PM

1024x768 tiny hard to read

S> Try dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config. The questions are quite simple...

It just asks three questions, non having to do with sizes.
I'm saying I what I want to do is like first issuing
$ xrandr -s 1024x768
$ #and then now do what to make my monitor look just like I then issued
$ #xrandr -s 800x600
$ #but by other means, i.e., changing the default size of all the
$ #fonts applications (icewm, iceweasel, emacs, xterm) use.

AG> What size is your screen and which Model and Manufacturer?

15 inch Sampo Tech Rad-5Q, placed 1 meter from me. If it were a
laptop, then it would be much closer so 1024x768 would be fine, but it
is 1 meter from me, so I want to make it look like 800x600 but still
run in its Native Resolution of 1024x768, lest ugly phase problems, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution Thanks.