Old 11-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Jesus Arocho

Default wpa, passphrase, and keys

I was trying to install wpa on a Dell inspiron 6000 and connect to a Linksys
WRT55AG and am now confused. I first updated the firmware on the router and
now have ´wpa personal´ as an option. Second, enabled the wireless security,
selected wpa personal, and entered a passphrase. Third, ran wpa_passphrase
on the box, giving the essid and same passphrase as on the router. Fourth,
edited interfacs and wpa_supplicant.conf with the appropriate information;
using key supplied by wpa_passphrase. Tried ifup eth1 and the command just
hung.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Michael Pobega

Old 11-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Jesus Arocho

Configuration files.

Relevant section from interfaces:

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.157
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wireless-essid arocho-b
pre-up
wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dipw2200 -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant
.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

wpa_supplicant.conf in its entirety:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ap_scan=2

network={
ssid="arocho-b"
scan_ssid=1
proto=WPA RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk=verylongstringwithoutquotemarks
}

Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 AM

Jesus Arocho wrote:

> On Thursday 22 November 2007 11:04, Michael Pobega wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 08:01:11AM -0500, Jesus Arocho wrote:
>>> I was trying to install wpa on a Dell inspiron 6000 and connect to a
>>> Linksys WRT55AG and am now confused. I first updated the firmware on the
>>> router and now have ´wpa personal´ as an option. Second, enabled the
>>> wireless security, selected wpa personal, and entered a passphrase. Third, ran wpa_passphrase on the box, giving the essid and same
>>> passphrase as on the router. Fourth, edited interfacs and
>>> wpa_supplicant.conf with the appropriate information; using key supplied
>>> by wpa_passphrase. Tried ifup eth1 and the command just hung.
>> You might post exactly what is in your configuration files so we can see
>> if you configured anything incorrectly.
>>
> Configuration files.
>
> Relevant section from interfaces:
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
> address 192.168.1.157
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.1.1
> wireless-essid arocho-b
> pre-up wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dipw2200 -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant
> .conf
> post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant
>
> wpa_supplicant.conf in its entirety:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> #ap_scan=2
>
> network={
> ssid="arocho-b"
> scan_ssid=1
> proto=WPA RSN
> key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> pairwise=CCMP TKIP
> group=CCMP TKIP
> psk=verylongstringwithoutquotemarks
> }

Hi

You want to make sure that is indeed the passphrase what you have to
input in your router. Here I'm using the second router already where
what you feed into it is the key itself
(verylongstringwithoutquotemarks). Then, probably the command didn't
hang whatsoever but it was waiting for wpa_supplicant to establish the
connection with the router. What I do in these cases is first run
wpa_supplicant from the command line to check that it can actually do
its job. Run it without the -B (background) option so you can just
stop it when you are happy/sad with what it does. Also -dd will give
you more information about it. Last thing is to change the especified
driver; I too own an intel pro wireless 2200b/g and wpa_supplicant
wouldn't work with ipw2200 (last time I checked). I use the generic
linux driver instead: -Dwext (only for this, of course my wireless
card is driven by the ipw2200 module). Once you make sure it connects
you can try wrapping it all in the configuration files.