-   -   [OT] firefox 3 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/2880-ot-firefox-3-a.html)

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-22-2007 11:13 AM

[OT] firefox 3

Hi,

Very few [OT]'s nowadays.
Anybody try the new firefox 3?

Hugo

Patter 11-22-2007 12:52 PM

[OT] firefox 3

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:20:12 +0100, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Very few [OT]'s nowadays.
> Anybody try the new firefox 3?

Yes, and it works well (official tarball from mozilla).

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve@patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter@jabber.earth.li

Kent West 11-22-2007 01:30 PM

[OT] firefox 3

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

Very few [OT]'s nowadays.
Anybody try the new firefox 3?

I just downloaded it last night. I logged in on a second X session as a
second user and untarred it in that user's home directory and ran it
directly from there.

I only ran it 30 mins or so, and didn't "put it through it's paces". It
didn't "feel" or look any different, really. (But I was running a
dist-upgrade in the background part of that time, so that might have
slowed things down.)

Then when I closed it and went to log out of X/Icewm, the machine froze.
I didn't have another machine with which to try to remote in, so I don't
know how frozen the machine was, but as far as I could tell from the
console, it was totally non-responsive.

I have no idea what caused the freeze-up, but it seemed suspicious that
it happened right when I was closing FF. Earlier I had closed FF, and
when I restarted, was told an instance of FF was already running, so
there may have been a dangling FF process still running from my earlier
attempt. A second attempt at firing up FF started normally.

All this to say that my first taste of FF3 has not impressed me yet with
speed or function, and I have a suspicion (very likely unjustified) that
it contributed to my lock-up. Of course, it is beta software ....

(Oh, I also had Iceweasel-Sid running on the first X session under the
first user, so that could have conceivably added to the problems.)

--
Kent

Kent West 11-22-2007 01:37 PM

[OT] firefox 3

Kent West wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Anybody try the new firefox 3?

Also, most of my add-ons are incompatible with FF3. Reckon I'll have to
wait a while on those ....

--
Kent

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-22-2007 02:07 PM

[OT] firefox 3

Kent West wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Anybody try the new firefox 3?

Also, most of my add-ons are incompatible with FF3. Reckon I'll have to
wait a while on those ....

Indeed. Keep us posted on that freeze up. I have not found any trouble
thusfar.

Hugo

"Kelly Clowers" 11-22-2007 06:06 PM

[OT] firefox 3

On Nov 22, 2007 4:13 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Very few [OT]'s nowadays.
> Anybody try the new firefox 3?

I tried it on milestone 7 or 8 (beta 1 is milestone 9).
I only used it for about one day, but I really liked it. The GUI for
managing Places is very nice, although it didn't yet have support
for things like mass tagging. The way Places works in the URL
bar is just fantastic! I didn't get around to trying the advanced
Places searching. It seemed very snappy, and the page zoom
is nice. And I always get excited about better standards support.

Anyway, I am really waiting for more of the features (especially
Places) to make it into the Mozilla nightlies, which is what I
have been using for a few months now.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers