Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Helge Hafting

Default How to wifi with ipw3945 on Dell Vostro ???

Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

Hi,

I am running Debian Lenny on a Dell Vostro laptop which has a ipw3945
wifi card.

The card is recognised by the software and it even works somehow (I can
see all the wifi networks in my building using wifi-radar). But whatever
I do I cannot get a (DHCP) ip address from my Zyxel AP which is using a
WEP key (and it did when I still used Windows Vist so I know for a fact
that it is possible).

You need:
* A driver module. If you use the 2.6.22-3 kernel from debian testing,
install

the ipw3945-modules-2.6.22-3-amd64 package.
Then make sure that /etc/modules contains a line with "ipw3945
You probably have this already, or you wouldn't be able to use the
card at all.

* The package ipw3945d. Install it and make sure the daemon is
running, or the card won't work properly. Without this, the card
will seem ok but anything you do will fail silently and mysteriously.

After that, set it up to associate with your access point.
For a quick test, use iwconfig directly. For a permanent setup, put
something like this in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth2 inet dhcp
pre-up iwconfig eth2 essid YOURSSID key YOURKEY

(Assuming the card is eth2. Use "key off" if there is no
encryption. If there is WPA encryption, get additional
software for supporting WPA. Get the card working
on a open or WEP encrypted net first, to rule out driver problems.
WPA is trickier to set up than WEP)

Hexadecimal keys are easiest to deal with, as there are
two incompatible ways of specifying the key as a text string.
The driver uses one way, some access points use the other way.
Hex is more typing but works everytime.

Also make sure you have a package with dhcp software,
for example dhcp3-client

Helge Hafting

Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Kelly Anderson

Helge Hafting wrote:

Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

[...]

Thought I'd throw in a suggestion that you look into the iwlwifi
driver. Intel has moved on to the next "best thing". The iwl driver
doesn't require the stupid daemon (a big step). And my initial
impression is that it will probably support WEP/WPA more effectively. I
haven't used WEP/WPA with it yet but it's on my agenda. I haven't had
any issues since I switched from iwp to iwlwifi.

http://intellinuxwireless.org/

Old 01-05-2008, 02:16 PM
"C. Ahlstrom"

++++++++ Kelly Anderson 16:38 Fri 04 Jan ++++++++

Thought I'd throw in a suggestion that you look into the iwlwifi driver.
Intel has moved on to the next "best thing". The iwl driver doesn't
require the stupid daemon (a big step). And my initial impression is that
it will probably support WEP/WPA more effectively. I haven't used WEP/WPA
with it yet but it's on my agenda. I haven't had any issues since I
switched from iwp to iwlwifi.

http://intellinuxwireless.org/

I got iwlwifi to work, and it works well enough with wpasupplicant and
ifupdown.

THe only odd thing (and maybe you have a fix) is that it will not turn
in the wireless LED the way the older drive did. But the system beeps
do reassure me (and annoy my wife) that it is operating and connected
<grin>.

--
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Helge Hafting

Kelly Anderson wrote:

Thought I'd throw in a suggestion that you look into the iwlwifi
driver. Intel has moved on to the next "best thing". The iwl driver
doesn't require the stupid daemon (a big step). And my initial
impression is that it will probably support WEP/WPA more effectively.
I haven't used WEP/WPA with it yet but it's on my agenda. I haven't
had any issues since I switched from iwp to iwlwifi.
Thanks - this tip made it possible to upgrade to 2.6.23 for me. I didn't
know

they changed the driver. And it works nicely with WPA too, something the
old driver didn't.

There is another problem though.
My homemade script uses "iwlist scan" in order to see
where the machine is (at home, at work, at friends/family house)
and then select the appropriate essid, key and other stuff.

This part used to work well - now I always have to try bringing the
network up 2-4 times before it actually works. If I run manually, I see
that iwlist comes up empty many times before it suddenly sees
the available networks and access points.

Setting a longer timeout between bringing up the driver and running
iwlist didn't seem to help. The old driver needed 2s. I tried 4s, but still
have to try many times before iwlist will see anything. Is there a trick
to make this work? Running iwlist in a loop is not what I want, that is
error-prone

and wastes CPU. I use the machine in places with no network too.
I want to detect the available networks in minimum time and with only
one attempt.

Helge Hafting

Old 01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Wackojacko

Helge Hafting wrote:

There is another problem though.
My homemade script uses "iwlist scan" in order to see
where the machine is (at home, at work, at friends/family house)
and then select the appropriate essid, key and other stuff.

Have you tried putting all the various networks into a config file for
wpasupplicant (see the examples in /usr/share/doc/). AFAIK, it will
scan for the available networks and connect to the right one. Worth a try.

HTH

Wackojacko