Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Florian Kulzer

Default undefined symbol for pango_language_get_default in lenny upgrade

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:45:26 -0400, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After upgrading my dist from etch to lenny I got problems with GTK applications.
>
> When I try to run any GTK application the following error is displayed
> in the terminal:
>
> symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
> pango_language_get_default
>
> For example, this error happens to synaptic, gedit, icedove and gnome
> desktop as well.
>
> Is there any solution for that? What would be the procedure for that?

pango_language_get_default is defined in /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0,
which is part of the libpango1.0-0 package. Which version of this
package is installed on your system? You can check this by running

dpkg -l libpango1.0-0

in a terminal. A fully up-to-date Lenny system should have version
1.18.3-1. (Just post the output of this command to this list if you are
not sure what it means; we can have a look then.)

My guess is that your upgrade is incomplete, so you should also tell us
which package manager and which command or menu option you used to
perform this upgrade.

Florian |

Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:08:24 -0400, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 6:06 AM, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:45:26 -0400, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After upgrading my dist from etch to lenny I got problems with GTK applications.
> > >
> > > When I try to run any GTK application the following error is displayed
> > > in the terminal:
> > >
> > > symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
> > > pango_language_get_default

[...]

> > pango_language_get_default is defined in /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0,
> > which is part of the libpango1.0-0 package. Which version of this
> > package is installed on your system? You can check this by running
> >
> > dpkg -l libpango1.0-0
> >
> > in a terminal. A fully up-to-date Lenny system should have version
> > 1.18.3-1. (Just post the output of this command to this list if you are
> > not sure what it means; we can have a look then.)
>
> The version is 1.18.3-1 as follows:

[...]

> ii libpango1.0-0 1.18.3-1
> Layout and rendering of internationalized text

That looks good to me.

> > My guess is that your upgrade is incomplete, so you should also tell us
> > which package manager and which command or menu option you used to
> > perform this upgrade.
>
> After changing the sources.list to lenny repository I did the following steps:
>
> #apt-get update
>
> #apt-get dist-upgrade

That should be enough. I assume there were no messages about errors,
broken packages or packages being kept back?

> Any suggestion?

We have to dig a little deeper; you can run the same commands and check
if you get the same output.

Just to be sure, verify that the symbol is indeed defined in
libpango-1.0.so.0:

$ nm -D /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0 | grep pango_language_get_default
000199e0 T pango_language_get_default

We also have to check if libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 gets linked against the
correct pango libraries:

$ ldd /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 | grep pango
libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (0xb7b5d000)
libpango-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0 (0xb7b20000)
libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 (0xb76bb000)

Undefined symbol problems are often caused by non-Debian libraries in
/usr/local/lib/; the "ldd ..." command should tell you if this is the
case for the pango libraries on your system.

Florian |