-   -   Debian branches and when a packet is moved from testing to stable (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/28486-debian-branches-when-packet-moved-testing-stable.html)

Arnau Rebassa i Villalonga 01-04-2008 07:17 AM

Debian branches and when a packet is moved from testing to stable

Hi all,

I've been searching some info about the different Debian's branches
and the policy followed to move one package from SID->testing->stable
but I haven't found this info. I guess it's explained somewhere in the
Debian's site but I couldn't found it, any hint? ;)

Cheers!!
--
Arnau

"Paul Johnson" 01-04-2008 03:09 PM

On Jan 4, 2008 12:17 AM, Arnau <arnaulist@andromeiberica.com> wrote:
> I've been searching some info about the different Debian's branches
> and the policy followed to move one package from SID->testing->stable
> but I haven't found this info. I guess it's explained somewhere in the
> Debian's site but I couldn't found it, any hint? ;)

Packages get moved from testing to stable when testing becomes stable.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Arnau 01-04-2008 03:38 PM

Arnau wrote:

Hi all,

I've been searching some info about the different Debian's branches
and the policy followed to move one package from SID->testing->stable
but I haven't found this info. I guess it's explained somewhere in the
Debian's site but I couldn't found it, any hint? ;)

Thanks Paul and Kevin for your replies. I have also found some
information about how packages are moved from unstable to testing at
http://www.debian.org/devel/testing

--
Arnau

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-04-2008 03:42 PM

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:17:32AM +0100, Arnau Rebassa i Villalonga wrote:
> I've been searching some info about the different Debian's branches
> and the policy followed to move one package from SID->testing->stable
> but I haven't found this info. I guess it's explained somewhere in the
> Debian's site but I couldn't found it, any hint? ;)

It probably is documented somewhere on the website, but for reference,
it is in the debian-reference chapter 2.1 section 3, 4, and 5.

To answer your question, Sid is the unstable section. This is where
active development goes on (or is that Experimental?). There are some
criteria before packages in Sid move to Testing but it is automatic.
One is that the package hasn't changed in 10 days. I think that there
is a limit also on the number of release-critical bugs.

At some point when a new release is planned, when Testing starts to
settle down, it gets Frozen and only release-critical bugs get fixed.
At a later point, a Release Candidate is created (RC1), then after a few
more bugs are found and fixed, an RC2 is created. Once the
release-critical count gets very very small, the Stable version becomes
Old-Stable and Testing (Frozen) becomes Stable. This is all under the
controll of the Release Manger.

If you still can't find it, I'll see what I can find on the web site the
next time I have the internet turned on (I'm on dialup).

Doug.