Old 11-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Matteo Riva

Default Different font rendering in Iceweasel and Google Chrome

Fresh squeeze install, I have this very annoying change in font
rendering in Iceweasel -- specifically what looks ugly is Verdana 10pt,
it just got little bigger than my "old" testing install (not updated for
since september I think).

Screenshot of the difference: http://fruple.com/kemper/font_sizes.png

Iceweasel (3.5.5, but same behavior with 3.0.14) on the left, google
chrome on the right: the usual appearence I always had is the one shown
now in chrome. Epiphany looks the same as Iceweasel (they use the same
engine maybe?). This is driving me crazy, any idea on what caused this?

I verified it's not related to a specific profile, as it's the same on a
new freshly created user.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:58:50 +0100, Matteo Riva wrote:

> Fresh squeeze install, I have this very annoying change in font
> rendering in Iceweasel -- specifically what looks ugly is Verdana 10pt,
> it just got little bigger than my "old" testing install (not updated for
> since september I think).
>
> Screenshot of the difference: http://fruple.com/kemper/font_sizes.png

I see. Yes, it renders bigger than it should be.

> Iceweasel (3.5.5, but same behavior with 3.0.14) on the left, google
> chrome on the right: the usual appearence I always had is the one shown
> now in chrome. Epiphany looks the same as Iceweasel (they use the same
> engine maybe?). This is driving me crazy, any idea on what caused this?
>
> I verified it's not related to a specific profile, as it's the same on a
> new freshly created user.

Does this happens in all applications? I mean, does OOo writer renders
verdana 10pt at the right size or also renders it a bit bigger?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 PM
teoss

Quoting Camaleón:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:58:50 +0100, Matteo Riva wrote:
>
> > Fresh squeeze install, I have this very annoying change in font
> > rendering in Iceweasel -- specifically what looks ugly is Verdana 10pt,
> > it just got little bigger than my "old" testing install (not updated for
> > since september I think).
> >
> > Screenshot of the difference: http://fruple.com/kemper/font_sizes.png
>
> I see. Yes, it renders bigger than it should be.
>
> > Iceweasel (3.5.5, but same behavior with 3.0.14) on the left, google
> > chrome on the right: the usual appearence I always had is the one shown
> > now in chrome. Epiphany looks the same as Iceweasel (they use the same
> > engine maybe?). This is driving me crazy, any idea on what caused this?
> >
> > I verified it's not related to a specific profile, as it's the same on a
> > new freshly created user.
>
> Does this happens in all applications? I mean, does OOo writer renders
> verdana 10pt at the right size or also renders it a bit bigger?

Openoffice writer renders Verdana 10 just like Iceweasel (assuming its
10 point size setting is the same as CSS 10pt). So does Abiword, but I'm
not sure it's a significant comparison.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:00:25 +0100, teoss wrote:

(...)

>> > I verified it's not related to a specific profile, as it's the same
>> > on a new freshly created user.
>>
>> Does this happens in all applications? I mean, does OOo writer renders
>> verdana 10pt at the right size or also renders it a bit bigger?
>
> Openoffice writer renders Verdana 10 just like Iceweasel (assuming its
> 10 point size setting is the same as CSS 10pt). So does Abiword, but I'm
> not sure it's a significant comparison.

I asked because if this behavior is reproducible "system-wide" (that is,
if almost any application renders Verdana 10pt a bit bigger than it
should) it could be related to your screen dpi size.

At least under Lenny (in Gnome desktop) the default dpi was (wrongly)
setup at 86 dpi and I had to change it to 96 so all fonts look at their
right size.

I'm also using TrueType fonts, mostly the MS ones (Arial, Verdana,
Tahoma, Courier New...) and now all of them renders okay in *any* program.

But I'm not sure if the problem you are facing can be related to this at
all :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Matteo Riva

> I asked because if this behavior is reproducible "system-wide" (that is,
> if almost any application renders Verdana 10pt a bit bigger than it
> should) it could be related to your screen dpi size.
>
> At least under Lenny (in Gnome desktop) the default dpi was (wrongly)
> setup at 86 dpi and I had to change it to 96 so all fonts look at their
> right size.
>
> I'm also using TrueType fonts, mostly the MS ones (Arial, Verdana,
> Tahoma, Courier New...) and now all of them renders okay in *any* program.
>
> But I'm not sure if the problem you are facing can be related to this at
> all :-?

That's interesting, although I guess that would be more likely if the
prolem was extended to all the fonts, not just one (or a few, I'm only
sure about the example I linked) -- anyway how can I set screen DPI?
Option in `device` section in xorg.conf seems to have no effect.

Thanks a lot for your replies so far

Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:20:10 +0100, Matteo Riva wrote:

(...)

>> At least under Lenny (in Gnome desktop) the default dpi was (wrongly)
>> setup at 86 dpi and I had to change it to 96 so all fonts look at their
>> right size.
>>
>> I'm also using TrueType fonts, mostly the MS ones (Arial, Verdana,
>> Tahoma, Courier New...) and now all of them renders okay in *any*
>> program.
>>
>> But I'm not sure if the problem you are facing can be related to this
>> at all :-?
>
> That's interesting, although I guess that would be more likely if the
> prolem was extended to all the fonts, not just one (or a few, I'm only
> sure about the example I linked)

That's an important point.

Are all the fonts rendering bigger than they should or just happens with
Verdana? If only one font is rendering badly, it is also possible that
the file is corrupted in some way.

OTOH, are you using TrueType (".ttf) fonts?

> -- anyway how can I set screen DPI?
> Option in `device` section in xorg.conf seems to have no effect.
>
> Thanks a lot for your replies so far

In Gnome, you can right-click on the desktop and select "Change desktop
background / Fonts tab / Details"

In KDE, it should be under Control Center (or "Systems settins", I dunno
the KDE4 way :-P) / Appearance / Fonts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Matteo Riva

Quoting Camaleón:
> That's an important point.
>
> Are all the fonts rendering bigger than they should or just happens with
> Verdana? If only one font is rendering badly, it is also possible that
> the file is corrupted in some way.

Well, so far I found that the problem happens only with truetype fonts
and ONLY at 10pt (tried arial, verdana, tahoma, trebuchet ms) -- they
look different on the two browsers. Other font-sizes look the same.

> > -- anyway how can I set screen DPI?
> > Option in `device` section in xorg.conf seems to have no effect.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your replies so far
>
> In Gnome, you can right-click on the desktop and select "Change desktop
> background / Fonts tab / Details"

Thanks but that seems to have no effect on the browser contents, just
changing gnome fonts.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 22:47:27 +0100, Matteo Riva wrote:

> Quoting Camaleón:
>> That's an important point.
>>
>> Are all the fonts rendering bigger than they should or just happens
>> with Verdana? If only one font is rendering badly, it is also possible
>> that the file is corrupted in some way.
>
> Well, so far I found that the problem happens only with truetype fonts
> and ONLY at 10pt (tried arial, verdana, tahoma, trebuchet ms) -- they
> look different on the two browsers. Other font-sizes look the same.

Okay, then.

- What are your fonts settings in Iceweasel?

Here is what I have:

***
Occidental (iso-8859-1)
Serif: Times News Roman / point: 16
Sans-serif: Arial
Monospace: Courier-new / point: 13
Smallest font size: none
[x] Allow pages to select their own font face, instead the above selection
***

BTW, you can make some checks between Chrome and Iceweasel by browsing
through these pages:

http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-arial.html
http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-tahoma.html
http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-verdana.html

Here is a snapshot of how Iceweasel renders Arial and Verdana fonts in my
system:

http://picpaste.com/arial.png
http://picpaste.com/verdana.png

Also, print the pages (directly from both, Chrome and Iceweasel) to see
if you still see the size difference in the printed page.

>> > -- anyway how can I set screen DPI?
>> > Option in `device` section in xorg.conf seems to have no effect.
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot for your replies so far
>>
>> In Gnome, you can right-click on the desktop and select "Change desktop
>> background / Fonts tab / Details"
>
> Thanks but that seems to have no effect on the browser contents, just
> changing gnome fonts.

Let's discard the "dpi path", then :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Chris Jones

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:58:50PM EST, Matteo Riva wrote:
> Fresh squeeze install, I have this very annoying change in font
> rendering in Iceweasel -- specifically what looks ugly is Verdana 10pt,
> it just got little bigger than my "old" testing install (not updated for
> since september I think).
>
> Screenshot of the difference: http://fruple.com/kemper/font_sizes.png

This does not look like Verdana.

Not sure if it's relevant to the size issue, but are you sure some other
font is not being served in lieu of Verdana?

CJ

Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Matteo Riva

Quoting Chris Jones:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:58:50PM EST, Matteo Riva wrote:
> > Fresh squeeze install, I have this very annoying change in font
> > rendering in Iceweasel -- specifically what looks ugly is Verdana 10pt,
> > it just got little bigger than my "old" testing install (not updated for
> > since september I think).
> >
> > Screenshot of the difference: http://fruple.com/kemper/font_sizes.png
>
> This does not look like Verdana.
>
> Not sure if it's relevant to the size issue, but are you sure some other
> font is not being served in lieu of Verdana?

I don't know, it looks like verdana to me, but the main point is that a
9pt and 11pt they display as expected and there are no differences
between the two browsers. Also, the same problem at 10pt happens with
other fonts.