-   -   Corrupt Reiserfs file system (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/284415-corrupt-reiserfs-file-system.html)

Ogya Chief 11-22-2009 07:16 AM

Corrupt Reiserfs file system

One partition on my linux box with reiserfs is corrupt and I am trying to get it fixed. I ran the following command:
*** reiserfsck --rebuild-sb /dev/sdb2.

The report I got indicates that either I have a corrupt journal or I have changed the start of the partition table editor.
It prompted me to build the journal header and the report I got indicates that I have some corruptions and I was
prompted to confirm whether the statistics were OK. When I entered n the program aborted with the message that
"Super block was not written.

How can I go about fixing the corrupt partition.

Regards,
Ogya

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 11-23-2009 04:05 PM

On Sunday 22 November 2009 02:16:46 Ogya Chief wrote:
> One partition on my linux box with reiserfs is corrupt and I am trying to
> get it fixed. I ran the following command: reiserfsck --rebuild-sb
> /dev/sdb2.

Well, that was wrong. When dealing with ReiserFS, *ALWAYS* run reiserfsck
with the --check option first, and then it will tell you what options (if any)
you need to give to repair the filesystem.

> The report I got indicates that either I have a corrupt journal or I have
> changed the start of the partition table editor. It prompted me to build
> the journal header

You probably broke it then. Writing a new journal header not something that
should be done lightly.

> and the report I got indicates that I have some
> corruptions and I was prompted to confirm whether the statistics were OK.
> When I entered n the program aborted with the message that "Super block
> was not written.

Ah, well, maybe you haven't quite broken it, yet.

> How can I go about fixing the corrupt partition.

First, run reiserfsck --check /dev/sdb2. Then, if you don't understand the
output, reply and include the last 25 lines of program output. Also, make
sure /dev/sdb2 is the correct device. You should probably take a read of the
reiserfsck manpage as well.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))