-   -   Iceweasel annoyance (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/284395-iceweasel-annoyance.html)

T o n g 11-22-2009 04:55 AM

Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:51:51 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> And you MUST use this browser window to select the application. You
> can't just type the name of the application in a box like you can when
> you edit your Applications menu.

Quite agree.

Similarly, what annoys me is the input text with the "browse" button for
local files (whenever you need to do upload, attachments etc), I have to
use that browser window to select the file.

I'm a command line guy, I used to paste the abs path of the file (from
realpath) as string into the input text field and never bother with the
"browse" button to click, click, click, click. . . Now I can't.

Iceweasel/firefox such Ms Winblow behavior and enforcement just annoys me
to death.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

T o n g 11-22-2009 04:56 AM

Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:19:58 -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> Give the guy a break. He has a perfectly articulated and reasonable
> problem.

Bravo Patrick!

Anthony Campbell 11-22-2009 08:21 AM

Iceweasel annoyance

On 21 Nov 2009, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I shouldn't blame Iceweasel, because when I used to use Firefox it did
> the same thing. And they are not the only apps that annoy me with this
> "feature."
>
> What is this annoyance?
>
> I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
> html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on
> it a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
> Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
> Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
> intention of changing.

[snip]

I've tried various ways of getting this to work over the years but now I
just take the simple way out. I right-click on the "mail-to" link. This
produces a little window with the email address in it. I copy this into
Mutt and carry on from there. Not very elegant but it works.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Chris Jackson 11-22-2009 09:18 AM

Iceweasel annoyance

Anthony Campbell wrote:

I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on
it a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
intention of changing.

[snip]

I've tried various ways of getting this to work over the years but now I
just take the simple way out. I right-click on the "mail-to" link. This
produces a little window with the email address in it. I copy this into
Mutt and carry on from there. Not very elegant but it works.

If you go to Edit - Preferences, go to the "Applications" section, and
add or change the entry for content type "mailto", you can use a
different mailer.

--
Chris Jackson
Shadowcat Systems Ltd.

Camaleón 11-22-2009 09:59 AM

Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:51:51 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I shouldn't blame Iceweasel, because when I used to use Firefox it did
> the same thing. And they are not the only apps that annoy me with this
> "feature."
>
> What is this annoyance?

Yes, "that" annoyance comes from "upstream" (Firefox).

> I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
> html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on it
> a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
> Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
> Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
> intention of changing.

If you are on Gnome, then you're lucky. Firefox integrates better with it
(at least for managing "mimetypes" and "mimehandlers") :-)

To make Icedove opens Sylpheed, just go to Gnome "System / Preferences /
Preferred applications" and select there the MUA of your choice.

(...)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Neal Hogan 11-22-2009 12:42 PM

Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:41 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:19:58 -0500
> Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> dijo:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Neal Hogan <nealhogan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > JJJ,
>> >
>> > You need to slow down.
>
>> I don't have an answer for the OP, but this (top-posted) "response" is
>> completely unresponsive, presumptuous, arrogant, unhelpful, dickish,
>> and possibly a reason why people who come to this forum for help
>> leave, pissed off. *Give the guy a break. *He has a perfectly
>> articulated and reasonable problem. *Maybe someone other than me or
>> Neal can actually offer him some help.
>
> Not to worry. Celejar just posted a solution. I don't have it working
> yet, but it looks very promising. And I can possibly use the methodlogy
> later in other situations.
>
> As for being offended, yeah, it is annoying when people post things
> like that, but I've been on e-lists and forums for ages with Linux. I'm
> a big boy now. I can take it. Besides, he really meant well.
>
> I should add that I currently have Debian testing almost to the point
> where my Jaunty installation was. I still have a couple apps to install
> and configure, and I need to migrate my printers, and my bluetooth
> mouse still isn't working. But I'm very close to having a very usable
> OS now. Moreover, I'm liking it a lot. Like wow! I'm riding on my own
> now without the Ubuntu training wheels!

To all those who think that my post was "completely unresponsive,
presumptuous, arrogant, unhelpful, dickish, and possibly a reason why
people who come to this forum for help leave, pissed off" let me say a
few of things

1) Posting your concern or your approval of such a concern is
self-refuting (plus it was top-posted, b/c it wasn't a direct response
to the OP's problem).
2) The OP seems to have appreciated the manner in which I sent it. I
suggested "taking off the training wheels" and the OP is starting to
do so.
3) The "help" was merely a pointier to a tutorial.

I wish John nothing but the best. If you were annoyed or offended,
then you miss the point. Using this list as your personal man
page/blog is not fair (yes, yes . . . refer to my first point ;-).

Celejar 11-22-2009 01:29 PM

Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:17:19 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> no longer has that option. Maybe I have to make it executable from the
> command line. Or maybe it already is automatically. In any event, I am
> still stuck, although this approach seems promising.

>From the command line: 'chmod +x scriptname'

Celejar

Joel Roth 11-23-2009 12:08 AM

Iceweasel annoyance

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 05:55:16AM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:51:51 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > And you MUST use this browser window to select the application. You
> > can't just type the name of the application in a box like you can when
> > you edit your Applications menu.
>
> Quite agree.
>
> Similarly, what annoys me is the input text with the "browse" button for
> local files (whenever you need to do upload, attachments etc), I have to
> use that browser window to select the file.
>
> I'm a command line guy, I used to paste the abs path of the file (from
> realpath) as string into the input text field and never bother with the
> "browse" button to click, click, click, click. . . Now I can't.
>
> Iceweasel/firefox such Ms Winblow behavior and enforcement just annoys me
> to death.

I think this is a (Gnome?) toolkit issue, since I encounter the same
totalitarian file-selection widget in several apps.

"What green, wide-eyed youngster wrote that?" I wonder.

I'd prefer text input (especially with ReadLine style tab
completion) any day!

> --
> Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/

--
Joel Roth

ERSEK Laszlo 11-23-2009 01:44 AM

Iceweasel annoyance

I'm a command line guy, I used to paste the abs path of the file (from
realpath) as string into the input text field and never bother with the
"browse" button to click, click, click, click. . . Now I can't.

I think this is a (Gnome?) toolkit issue, since I encounter the same
totalitarian file-selection widget in several apps.

I'd prefer text input (especially with ReadLine style tab
completion) any day!

I'm not sure I get what you're talking about, but:

In the GTK file selection window (eg. under Firefox's Ctrl+O hotkey),
press "/", as if starting to enter an absoulte pathname. A Location
textbox will appear, where you can middle-button-paste and tab-complete.
This will even stay permanent: the file
~/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini will be created or modified, with the
following contents:

[Filechooser Settings]
LocationMode=filename-entry
ShowHidden=false
ExpandFolders=true

(The LocationMode entry is the important one.)

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, as this Location textbox can
be switched on by a quite obtrusive button in the top left corner as well,
with a tooltip saying "Type a file name". So this may be a feature of the
GTK file chooser, while the GNOME one might lack it.

Sorry if the above is completely irrelevant in the tread.

Cheers,
lacos

Michelle Konzack 11-23-2009 05:13 AM

Iceweasel annoyance

Am 2009-11-21 18:51:51, schrieb John Jason Jordan:
> If I right-click on any other file on my computer I get an "Open with"
> dialog box where I can choose from a list of installed applications.
> Why can't Iceweasel present me with something like that? Grrrr.

Gratulations, now we are at least two!
I hate Firefox/Iceweasel into hell. With Seamonkey it works.

And of course, you can ONLY add an application,
but you can not add options to the executable.
This is the last crap ever seen.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/> Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/> Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/> 50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de 67100 Strabourg/France
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com) Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886 Tel. FR: +33 6 61925193