Old 11-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Michelle Konzack

Default Iceweasel annoyance

Hello Laszlo,

Am 2009-11-23 03:44:13, schrieb ERSEK Laszlo:
> I'm not sure I get what you're talking about, but:
>
> In the GTK file selection window (eg. under Firefox's Ctrl+O
> hotkey), press "/", as if starting to enter an absoulte pathname. A
> Location textbox will appear, where you can middle-button-paste and
> tab-complete.

Hey cool, I was not aware of this.

> This will even stay permanent: the file
> ~/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini will be created or modified,
> with the following contents:
>
> [Filechooser Settings]
> LocationMode=filename-entry
> ShowHidden=false
> ExpandFolders=true

This is already set by default and it does not work since the Dialog
"File Open" from Firefox is slightly different from the GTK-2.0 one.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/> Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/> Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/> 50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de 67100 Strabourg/France
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com) Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886 Tel. FR: +33 6 61925193

Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2009-11-22 10:18:33, schrieb Chris Jackson:
> If you go to Edit - Preferences, go to the "Applications" section,
> and add or change the entry for content type "mailto", you can use a
> different mailer.

I am using a script to run mutt:

----[ '~/bin/mutt_firefox' ]--------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

xterm -geometry 80x45+400+100 -u8 -e mutt -e "set editor=mcedit" $1

Which generaly works, IF the "mailto:" link does not use something like

?subject=something

attached. Also it opens every time a new tab which is not more closed.

Question: How can I prevnt Firefox openening every time I click
on a "mailto:" link an empty TAB or WINDOW?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Clive Standbridge

Michelle Konzack wrote:

> I am using a script to run mutt:
>
> ----[ '~/bin/mutt_firefox' ]--------------------------------------------
> #!/bin/sh
>
> xterm -geometry 80x45+400+100 -u8 -e mutt -e "set editor=mcedit" $1
>
> Which generaly works, IF the "mailto:"; link does not use something
> like
>
> ?subject=something
>
> attached.

I suspect that's because your $1 is not quoted. For good measure I'm
using
-- "$@"
where you have
$1

> Also it opens every time a new tab which is not more
> closed.
>
> Question: How can I prevnt Firefox openening every time I click
> on a "mailto:"; link an empty TAB or WINDOW?

I don't know about that. For what it's worth it doesn't happen here
(Iceweasel 3.0.6/Debian 5.0 Lenny). It's not obvious which config item
might affect that.

Regards,
Clive

Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Celejar

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:00:40 +0000
Clive Standbridge <Clive.Standbridge@myriadgroup.com> wrote:

> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> >
> > I am using a script to run mutt:
> >
> > ----[ '~/bin/mutt_firefox' ]--------------------------------------------
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > xterm -geometry 80x45+400+100 -u8 -e mutt -e "set editor=mcedit" $1
> >
> > Which generaly works, IF the "mailto:"; link does not use something
> > like
> >
> > ?subject=something
> >
> > attached.
>
> I suspect that's because your $1 is not quoted. For good measure I'm
> using
> -- "$@"
> where you have
> $1

And without the quotes, one wrong click and she's toast:

"Note that the quotes around the $1 in my script are crucial from a
security point of view. Imagine the consequences of you clicking on a
link like this:

mailto:someone@somedomain.tld; rm -Rf $HOME/*

Without the quotes, my script would end up doing this:

sylpheed --compose mailto:someone@somedomain.tld; rm -Rf $HOME/*

...which could have unpleasant consequences..."

http://howto-pages.org/mozilla.php

Celejar

Old 11-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Frank Lin PIAT

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 18:51 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I shouldn't blame Iceweasel, because when I used to use Firefox it did
> the same thing. And they are not the only apps that annoy me with this
> "feature."
>
> What is this annoyance?

Why annoyance?
Your email subject would have been way more descriptive if it was:
"Changing the e-mail program used by Iceweasel"

> I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
> html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." [..]
>
> So I went into Preferences > Applications in Iceweasel and noted that
> for mailto only Yahoo mail and Gmail were listed. I don't want to use
> either of them; I want it to launch a Compose Message window in
> Sylpheed.

... and if you google for:
"Changing the e-mail program used by firefox"

then guess what, the first answer is:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Changing+the+e-mail+program+used+by+Firefox

BTW, And you can claim it :
"Firefox 3.5.5 was my idea"
(because you can select your local program)

note: the solution in this email are 100% not-tested !

Franklin

Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Joel Roth

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 07:40:58AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello Laszlo,
>
> Am 2009-11-23 03:44:13, schrieb ERSEK Laszlo:
> > I'm not sure I get what you're talking about, but:
> >
> > In the GTK file selection window (eg. under Firefox's Ctrl+O
> > hotkey), press "/", as if starting to enter an absoulte pathname. A
> > Location textbox will appear, where you can middle-button-paste and
> > tab-complete.
>
> Hey cool, I was not aware of this.

Yes, I never noticed. I wonder if that is something new.
There it is, in Gimp, too, a little pencil icon.

--
Joel Roth

Old 11-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Paul Johnson

Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> I don't have an answer for the OP, but this (top-posted) "response" is
> completely unresponsive, presumptuous, arrogant, unhelpful, dickish,
> and possibly a reason why people who come to this forum for help
> leave, pissed off.

Pot, have you met Kettle yet? If you're going to pull that move, at
least trim off excessive quoting. Or better yet, don't pull that move
to begin with.