FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Celejar
 
Default Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:51:51 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

...

> I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
> html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on
> it a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
> Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
> Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
> intention of changing.
>
> So I went into Preferences > Applications in Iceweasel and noted that
> for mailto only Yahoo mail and Gmail were listed. I don't want to use
> either of them; I want it to launch a Compose Message window in
> Sylpheed. So I deleted them. Now when I click on the Contact Us link in
> the web page Iceweasel pops up a little box that says "This link needs
> to be opened with an application: Send to:" -- and then I can click on
> a button to choose the application.

You don't say what version of IW you're running, but on mine 3.5.5) I
do Prefs / Apps, and then select the dropdown 'Action' menu for the
'mailto' entry, which includes a choice 'select other'. IIUC, you can't
invoke sylph directly, since there's no way to pass it the '--compose'
option, so just follow these directions:

http://howto-pages.org/mozilla.php

Works like a charm.

[I've been meaning to do this for a while; your post finally gave me
the impetus ]

> And there is the annoyance. When I click on the button I get a Nautilus
> browser window. Like I know where the Sylpheed executable file is
> located or what it is called. And you MUST use this browser window to

Doing:

$ which sylpheed

tells you what you want to know

Celejar
--
foffl.sourceforge.net - Feeds OFFLine, an offline RSS/Atom aggregator
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Neal Hogan
 
Default Iceweasel annoyance

JJJ,

You need to slow down.

Yes . . . there is a period one needs to get used to a new system. If
you have completely switched (i.e., wiped your ubuntu partition) to
debian and aren't comfortable, shame on you. It's not that Debian is
that much different, but it's that such a move is irresponsible, given
you're lack of experience.

It was suggested that you start slowly . . . dual boot . . . try stuff
out and see what happens. Problems with visiting and dealing with
websites are not areas to claim problems with the OS. If you want a
certain bit of software, look for it, try to configure it and , WHEN
ALL ELSE FAILS, come to this list for help.

As others have said, *NIX requires work. Ubuntu (and others) try to
make that work as little as possible If you want to advance your
*nix skills, then you need to do stuff on your own. There are so many
forums, archives, tutorials that can help you, if you only look . . .
. . . . so . . . . look!

Once, you've exhausted the possibilities, you come to this list.

jjj, please take this as encouragement . . . I've been there/I am there.



On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
> I shouldn't blame Iceweasel, because when I used to use Firefox it did
> the same thing. And they are not the only apps that annoy me with this
> "feature."
>
> What is this annoyance?
>
> I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
> html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on
> it a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
> Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
> Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
> intention of changing.
>
> So I went into Preferences > Applications in Iceweasel and noted that
> for mailto only Yahoo mail and Gmail were listed. I don't want to use
> either of them; I want it to launch a Compose Message window in
> Sylpheed. So I deleted them. Now when I click on the Contact Us link in
> the web page Iceweasel pops up a little box that says "This link needs
> to be opened with an application: Send to:" -- and then I can click on
> a button to choose the application.
>
> And there is the annoyance. When I click on the button I get a Nautilus
> browser window. Like I know where the Sylpheed executable file is
> located or what it is called. And you MUST use this browser window to
> select the application. You can't just type the name of the application
> in a box like you can when you edit your Applications menu.
>
> If I right-click on any other file on my computer I get an "Open with"
> dialog box where I can choose from a list of installed applications.
> Why can't Iceweasel present me with something like that? Grrrr.
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Patrick Wiseman
 
Default Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Neal Hogan <nealhogan@gmail.com> wrote:
> JJJ,
>
> You need to slow down.
>
> Yes . . . there is a period one needs to get used to a new system. If
> you have completely switched (i.e., wiped your ubuntu partition) to
> debian and aren't comfortable, shame on you. It's not that Debian is
> that much different, but it's that such a move is irresponsible, given
> you're lack of experience.
>
> It was suggested that you start slowly . . . dual boot . . . try stuff
> out and see what happens. Problems with visiting and dealing with
> websites are not areas to claim problems with the OS. If you want a
> certain bit of software, look for it, try to configure it and , WHEN
> ALL ELSE FAILS, come to this list for help.
>
> As others have said, *NIX requires work. Ubuntu (and others) try to
> make that work as little as possible If you want to advance your
> *nix skills, then you need to do stuff on your own. There are so many
> forums, archives, tutorials that can help you, if you only look . . .
> . . . . so . . . . look!
>
> Once, you've exhausted the possibilities, you come to this list.
>
> jjj, please take this as encouragement . . . I've been there/I am there.
>

I don't have an answer for the OP, but this (top-posted) "response" is
completely unresponsive, presumptuous, arrogant, unhelpful, dickish,
and possibly a reason why people who come to this forum for help
leave, pissed off. Give the guy a break. He has a perfectly
articulated and reasonable problem. Maybe someone other than me or
Neal can actually offer him some help.

Patrick

>
>
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I shouldn't blame Iceweasel, because when I used to use Firefox it did
>> the same thing. And they are not the only apps that annoy me with this
>> "feature."
>>
>> What is this annoyance?
>>
>> I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
>> html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on
>> it a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
>> Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
>> Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
>> intention of changing.
>>
>> So I went into Preferences > Applications in Iceweasel and noted that
>> for mailto only Yahoo mail and Gmail were listed. I don't want to use
>> either of them; I want it to launch a Compose Message window in
>> Sylpheed. So I deleted them. Now when I click on the Contact Us link in
>> the web page Iceweasel pops up a little box that says "This link needs
>> to be opened with an application: Send to:" -- and then I can click on
>> a button to choose the application.
>>
>> And there is the annoyance. When I click on the button I get a Nautilus
>> browser window. Like I know where the Sylpheed executable file is
>> located or what it is called. And you MUST use this browser window to
>> select the application. You can't just type the name of the application
>> in a box like you can when you edit your Applications menu.
>>
>> If I right-click on any other file on my computer I get an "Open with"
>> dialog box where I can choose from a list of installed applications.
>> Why can't Iceweasel present me with something like that? Grrrr.
>>
>>
>> --
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 04:17 AM
John Jason Jordan
 
Default Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:22:05 -0500
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> dijo:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:51:51 -0800
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> > I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
> > html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on
> > it a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
> > Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
> > Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
> > intention of changing.
> >
> > So I went into Preferences > Applications in Iceweasel and noted that
> > for mailto only Yahoo mail and Gmail were listed. I don't want to use
> > either of them; I want it to launch a Compose Message window in
> > Sylpheed. So I deleted them. Now when I click on the Contact Us link in
> > the web page Iceweasel pops up a little box that says "This link needs
> > to be opened with an application: Send to:" -- and then I can click on
> > a button to choose the application.
>
> You don't say what version of IW you're running, but on mine 3.5.5) I
> do Prefs / Apps, and then select the dropdown 'Action' menu for the
> 'mailto' entry, which includes a choice 'select other'. IIUC, you can't
> invoke sylph directly, since there's no way to pass it the '--compose'
> option, so just follow these directions:
>
> http://howto-pages.org/mozilla.php
>
> Works like a charm.

Great web page. I tried the instructions, but I can't get it to work.

That is, I copied and pasted the script from that page into a Gedit
document and saved it as Iceweasel_mailto_link_to_Sylpheed in ~/. Then
I went into Iceweasel's Preferences > Applications > mailto and
selected "Other." But it won't take the script in the box. I tried
renaming it to something 8.3, but still no joy. I note in Nautilus that
the icon for the script indicates it is a script. I seem to recall that
you had to make a script executable by right-clicking on the file in
Nautilus and then going into Properties. But the Properties dialog box
no longer has that option. Maybe I have to make it executable from the
command line. Or maybe it already is automatically. In any event, I am
still stuck, although this approach seems promising.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 AM
John Jason Jordan
 
Default Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:19:58 -0500
Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> dijo:

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Neal Hogan <nealhogan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > JJJ,
> >
> > You need to slow down.

> I don't have an answer for the OP, but this (top-posted) "response" is
> completely unresponsive, presumptuous, arrogant, unhelpful, dickish,
> and possibly a reason why people who come to this forum for help
> leave, pissed off. Give the guy a break. He has a perfectly
> articulated and reasonable problem. Maybe someone other than me or
> Neal can actually offer him some help.

Not to worry. Celejar just posted a solution. I don't have it working
yet, but it looks very promising. And I can possibly use the methodlogy
later in other situations.

As for being offended, yeah, it is annoying when people post things
like that, but I've been on e-lists and forums for ages with Linux. I'm
a big boy now. I can take it. Besides, he really meant well.

I should add that I currently have Debian testing almost to the point
where my Jaunty installation was. I still have a couple apps to install
and configure, and I need to migrate my printers, and my bluetooth
mouse still isn't working. But I'm very close to having a very usable
OS now. Moreover, I'm liking it a lot. Like wow! I'm riding on my own
now without the Ubuntu training wheels!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org