FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:19 PM
 
Default Where's my xenbr0 and vif0.0

Everything I've read so far on xen networking
leads me to believe that I should have a bridge
named xenbr0 and a virtual interface vif0.0
for dom0. The bridge appears to be named eth0
here:

-------------------
# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:09:62:29:04
inet addr:192.168.153.200 Bcast:192.168.153.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::211:9ff:fe62:2904/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4833 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4687 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:289823 (283.0 KiB) TX bytes:307062 (299.8 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:10834 (10.5 KiB) TX bytes:10834 (10.5 KiB)

peth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:09:62:29:04
inet6 addr: fe80::211:9ff:fe62:2904/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4833 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4698 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:357521 (349.1 KiB) TX bytes:307928 (300.7 KiB)
Interrupt:20 Base address:0xa000

vif1.0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet6 addr: fe80::fcff:ffff:feff:ffff/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:124 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:32
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:9408 (9.1 KiB)



# brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
eth0 8000.001109622904 no peth0
vif1.0
----------------------------

So how does dom0 talk to the network?

Thanks,

will
--

whollygoat@letterboxes.org

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - IMAP accessible web-mail


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Javier Barroso
 
Default Where's my xenbr0 and vif0.0

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:19 AM, <whollygoat@letterboxes.org> wrote:
> Everything I've read so far on xen networking
> leads me to believe that I should have a bridge
> named xenbr0 and a virtual interface vif0.0
> for dom0. *The bridge appears to be named eth0
> here:
>
> -------------------
> # ifconfig
> eth0 * * *Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr 00:11:09:62:29:04
> * * * * *inet addr:192.168.153.200 *Bcast:192.168.153.255
> * * * * *Mask:255.255.255.0
> * * * * *inet6 addr: fe80::211:9ff:fe62:2904/64 Scope:Link
> * * * * *UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1
> * * * * *RX packets:4833 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> * * * * *TX packets:4687 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> * * * * *RX bytes:289823 (283.0 KiB) *TX bytes:307062 (299.8 KiB)
>
> lo * * * *Link encap:Local Loopback
> * * * * *inet addr:127.0.0.1 *Mask:255.0.0.0
> * * * * *inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> * * * * *UP LOOPBACK RUNNING *MTU:16436 *Metric:1
> * * * * *RX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> * * * * *TX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> * * * * *RX bytes:10834 (10.5 KiB) *TX bytes:10834 (10.5 KiB)
>
> peth0 * * Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr 00:11:09:62:29:04
> * * * * *inet6 addr: fe80::211:9ff:fe62:2904/64 Scope:Link
> * * * * *UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1
> * * * * *RX packets:4833 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> * * * * *TX packets:4698 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> * * * * *RX bytes:357521 (349.1 KiB) *TX bytes:307928 (300.7 KiB)
> * * * * *Interrupt:20 Base address:0xa000
>
> vif1.0 * *Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> * * * * *inet6 addr: fe80::fcff:ffff:feff:ffff/64 Scope:Link
> * * * * *UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1
> * * * * *RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> * * * * *TX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:124 overruns:0 carrier:0
> * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:32
> * * * * *RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) *TX bytes:9408 (9.1 KiB)
>
>
>
> # brctl show
> bridge name * * bridge id * * * * * * * STP enabled * * interfaces
> eth0 * * * * * *8000.001109622904 * * * no * * * * * * *peth0
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *vif1.0
> ----------------------------
>
> So how does dom0 talk to the network?

dom0# ip route

You are building a bridge with peth0 as phisical nic which was eth0
before xen was installed in your server.

Regards,


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-29-2009, 05:29 AM
 
Default Where's my xenbr0 and vif0.0

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:22 +0100, "Javier Barroso"
<javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:19 AM, <whollygoat@letterboxes.org> wrote:
> > Everything I've read so far on xen networking
> > leads me to believe that I should have a bridge
> > named xenbr0 and a virtual interface vif0.0
> > for dom0. *The bridge appears to be named eth0
> > here:
> >
> > -------------------
> > # ifconfig
> > eth0 * * *Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr 00:11:09:62:29:04
> > * * * * *inet addr:192.168.153.200 *Bcast:192.168.153.255
> > * * * * *Mask:255.255.255.0
> > * * * * *inet6 addr: fe80::211:9ff:fe62:2904/64 Scope:Link
> > * * * * *UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1
> > * * * * *RX packets:4833 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > * * * * *TX packets:4687 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> > * * * * *RX bytes:289823 (283.0 KiB) *TX bytes:307062 (299.8 KiB)
> >
> > lo * * * *Link encap:Local Loopback
> > * * * * *inet addr:127.0.0.1 *Mask:255.0.0.0
> > * * * * *inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> > * * * * *UP LOOPBACK RUNNING *MTU:16436 *Metric:1
> > * * * * *RX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > * * * * *TX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> > * * * * *RX bytes:10834 (10.5 KiB) *TX bytes:10834 (10.5 KiB)
> >
> > peth0 * * Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr 00:11:09:62:29:04
> > * * * * *inet6 addr: fe80::211:9ff:fe62:2904/64 Scope:Link
> > * * * * *UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1
> > * * * * *RX packets:4833 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > * * * * *TX packets:4698 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> > * * * * *RX bytes:357521 (349.1 KiB) *TX bytes:307928 (300.7 KiB)
> > * * * * *Interrupt:20 Base address:0xa000
> >
> > vif1.0 * *Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> > * * * * *inet6 addr: fe80::fcff:ffff:feff:ffff/64 Scope:Link
> > * * * * *UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1
> > * * * * *RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > * * * * *TX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:124 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:32
> > * * * * *RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) *TX bytes:9408 (9.1 KiB)
> >
> >
> >
> > # brctl show
> > bridge name * * bridge id * * * * * * * STP enabled * * interfaces
> > eth0 * * * * * *8000.001109622904 * * * no * * * * * * *peth0
> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *vif1.0
> > ----------------------------
> >
> > So how does dom0 talk to the network?
>
> dom0# ip route

I don't understand what you mean by this. I ran the command
but saw nothing that helped me understand why my system looks
so different from all the stuff I've read.

>
> You are building a bridge with peth0 as phisical nic which was eth0
> before xen was installed in your server.

I knew peth0 was the real nic, but I expected to see a bridge named
xenbr0, not eth0. I also expected to see a vifX.Y where X was the
domID as reported by "xm list" and Y was the number of the interface
as it appeared in the domain itself.

Totally confused about what various virtual parts exist, and how
they fit together.

Thanks though.

will
--

whollygoat@letterboxes.org

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
or over the web


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org