Old 11-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Tony van der Hoff

Default BIND 9 messages

Hi, I'm running Lenny with Bind 9 on my server; all working fine, except
that whenever I connect a new client, I get the syslog message:

tony-lx named[4179]: client 192.168.1.12#56479: updating zone
'magpieway.net/IN': update unsuccessful: TONY-XP.magpieway.net/CNAME:
'rrset does not exist' prerequisite not satisfied (YXRRSET)

I've unsuccessfully man'd and googled, as well as read the bind 9
documentation, so I guess I've missed something. Can anyone please tell
me what this means, and how to fix it?

Cheers, Tony

Old 11-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Tom H

> Hi, I'm running Lenny with Bind 9 on my server; all working fine, except
> that whenever I connect a new client, I get the syslog message:
>
> tony-lx named[4179]: client 192.168.1.12#56479: updating zone
> 'magpieway.net/IN': update unsuccessful: TONY-XP.magpieway.net/CNAME: 'rrset
> does not exist' prerequisite not satisfied (YXRRSET)
>
> I've unsuccessfully man'd and googled, as well as read the bind 9
> documentation, so I guess I've missed something. Can anyone please tell me
> what this means, and how to fix it?

Your DNS server is letting you know that it is creating an entry for
tony-xp because it already exists. This is a result of your dynamic
dns and dhcp settings. I am only familiar with WinDHCP (all the
companies where I have worked have run WinDHCP and it's been a few
years since I last worked on one) but there may be some setting to
scavenge stale entries in *nix. Anyway, it is an informational message
and not a error one, so as long as "dig hostname" and "dig -x hostip"
are returning the correct info, you could simply ignore it. (I find
the "CNAME" reference puzzling but it must be part of your setup.)