FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default printing confusion

I am using Lenny, up2date. I use CUPS for printing, and everything prints just
fine for MOST applications. I just tried to print a web page, and I think it
was a flash type page. It brought up a very small window that ( I thought)
had the correct gutenprint printer, and I said OK. nothing printed.

lpstat -t shows:
# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
device for Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380
Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 accepting requests since Sat 21 Nov 2009 06:09:54 AM
EST
printer Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 is idle. enabled since Sat 21 Nov 2009
06:09:54 AM EST


but I see a /var/log/lpr.log that has this in it:
# more lpr.log
Nov 21 05:42:29 paulandcilla lpd[11629]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory
Nov 21 05:43:30 paulandcilla lpd[11702]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory
#

then I saw an email from someone that mentioned lpq so I ran it and got this:
# lpq -a
lp:
Warning: no daemon present
Rank Owner Job Files Total Size
1st pbc 0 ... 493086 bytes
2nd root 1 ... 2161 bytes
3rd pbc 2 /tmp/ps9XOZ8T 40459 bytes
4th pbc 3 /tmp/psIpb51y 40456 bytes
5th pbc 4 /tmp/ps1TUs1D 40456 bytes
6th pbc 5 (standard input) 6092040 bytes
7th pbc 6 (standard input) 6092040 bytes

what does this mean, and what do I do to fix it?


--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Wayne
 
Default printing confusion

Paul Cartwright wrote:
I am using Lenny, up2date. I use CUPS for printing, and everything prints just
fine for MOST applications. I just tried to print a web page, and I think it
was a flash type page. It brought up a very small window that ( I thought)
had the correct gutenprint printer, and I said OK. nothing printed.


lpstat -t shows:
# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
device for Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380
Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 accepting requests since Sat 21 Nov 2009 06:09:54 AM
EST
printer Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 is idle. enabled since Sat 21 Nov 2009
06:09:54 AM EST


I had Gutenprint problems with my HP6 laser printer. changed to foomatic
and it works now. YMMV


but I see a /var/log/lpr.log that has this in it:
# more lpr.log
Nov 21 05:42:29 paulandcilla lpd[11629]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory
Nov 21 05:43:30 paulandcilla lpd[11702]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory
#


then I saw an email from someone that mentioned lpq so I ran it and got this:
# lpq -a
lp:
Warning: no daemon present
Rank Owner Job Files Total Size
1st pbc 0 ... 493086 bytes
2nd root 1 ... 2161 bytes
3rd pbc 2 /tmp/ps9XOZ8T 40459 bytes
4th pbc 3 /tmp/psIpb51y 40456 bytes
5th pbc 4 /tmp/ps1TUs1D 40456 bytes
6th pbc 5 (standard input) 6092040 bytes
7th pbc 6 (standard input) 6092040 bytes

what does this mean, and what do I do to fix it?



I had to go into cups for each of my printer and look at the jobs. I
deleated all pending jobs and lpq -a didn't find them anymore.


HTH

Wayne


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Wayne
 
Default printing confusion

Paul Cartwright wrote:
I am using Lenny, up2date. I use CUPS for printing, and everything prints just
fine for MOST applications. I just tried to print a web page, and I think it
was a flash type page. It brought up a very small window that ( I thought)
had the correct gutenprint printer, and I said OK. nothing printed.


lpstat -t shows:
# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
device for Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380
Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 accepting requests since Sat 21 Nov 2009 06:09:54 AM
EST
printer Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 is idle. enabled since Sat 21 Nov 2009
06:09:54 AM EST



but I see a /var/log/lpr.log that has this in it:
# more lpr.log
Nov 21 05:42:29 paulandcilla lpd[11629]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory
Nov 21 05:43:30 paulandcilla lpd[11702]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory


Sorry missed this in first read.

Use the modify printer option of cups. The usb to parallel adapter I
am using produced this
Connection: usb://HP/LaserJet%206P
you can't use the lpt option with usb.



then I saw an email from someone that mentioned lpq so I ran it and got this:
# lpq -a
lp:
Warning: no daemon present
Rank Owner Job Files Total Size
1st pbc 0 ... 493086 bytes
2nd root 1 ... 2161 bytes
3rd pbc 2 /tmp/ps9XOZ8T 40459 bytes
4th pbc 3 /tmp/psIpb51y 40456 bytes
5th pbc 4 /tmp/ps1TUs1D 40456 bytes
6th pbc 5 (standard input) 6092040 bytes
7th pbc 6 (standard input) 6092040 bytes

what does this mean, and what do I do to fix it?


Wayne



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default printing confusion

On Sat November 21 2009, Wayne wrote:
> > Nov 21 05:42:29 paulandcilla lpd[11629]: /dev/lp0: No such file or
> > directory Nov 21 05:43:30 paulandcilla lpd[11702]: /dev/lp0: No such file
> > or directory
>
> Sorry missed this in first read.
>
> Use the modify printer option of cups. *The usb to parallel adapter I
> am using produced this
> Connection:*****usb://HP/LaserJet%206P
> you can't use the lpt option with usb.

when I pull up the web CUPS admin for my printer, it shows this:

Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 (Default Printer)
Description: EPSON USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)
Location: Local Printer
Printer Driver: Epson Stylus Photo R380 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380


--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Wayne
 
Default printing confusion

Paul Cartwright wrote:

On Sat November 21 2009, Wayne wrote:

Nov 21 05:42:29 paulandcilla lpd[11629]: /dev/lp0: No such file or
directory Nov 21 05:43:30 paulandcilla lpd[11702]: /dev/lp0: No such file
or directory

Sorry missed this in first read.

Use the modify printer option of cups. The usb to parallel adapter I
am using produced this
Connection: usb://HP/LaserJet%206P
you can't use the lpt option with usb.


when I pull up the web CUPS admin for my printer, it shows this:

Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 (Default Printer)

Description: EPSON USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)
Location: Local Printer
Printer Driver: Epson Stylus Photo R380 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380



I am running cups version 1.4.1-4 in squeeze. Lenny has a different
version of cups so.....


Go to the Jobs tab in cups. You should be able to find of the jobs
shown when you did the lpq -a. Delete them.


Re-reading your OP, I am now confused as to what you want. You are
using usb but the lpq -a showed you had files in the cups spooler under
a printer using the lp interface. Did you change printers or how you
connect to them?


I don't recall having any problems printing from firefox/iceweasel using
lenny but I only use it occasionally to get security upgrades.


Sorry if this doesn't help. As no one else has responded you might give
google a shot.


Wayne


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 03:33 AM
Wayne
 
Default printing confusion

Klaus Jantzen wrote:

Wayne wrote:

Paul Cartwright wrote:
I am using Lenny, up2date. I use CUPS for printing, and everything
prints just fine for MOST applications. I just tried to print a web
page, and I think it was a flash type page. It brought up a very
small window that ( I thought) had the correct gutenprint printer,
and I said OK. nothing printed.


lpstat -t shows:
# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
device for Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1:
usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380 Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 accepting
requests since Sat 21 Nov 2009 06:09:54 AM EST printer
Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 is idle. enabled since Sat 21 Nov 2009
06:09:54 AM EST


I had Gutenprint problems with my HP6 laser printer. changed to
foomatic and it works now. YMMV



I also have an HP6MP and with Gutenprint it "takes ages" to get an output.
What did you change to use foomatic?

In the cups interface http://localhost:631/printers pick the printer
and, in squeeze anyway, select in the administration dropdown select
Modify printer. Select Continue on the first two selections until you
get to the 3rd which allows you to select different PPDs. I tried all
the selections for the HP6P and found that the HP LaserJet 6P
foomatic/ljdith worked best for me. Once you highlight your selection
click Modify Printer. You can then set the options you want the printer
to have, like dpi, etc. Then find the 'print test page' to try it out.


In squeeze there are only 5 choices for the HP6P so it doesn't take long
to find a PPC you like.


I have configured my HP6P with 4 different names. printer 6P is set for
600 dpi, HP6 is 150 dpi, HP6P is 300 dpi, and PDF is when cups creates a
PDF file also at600 dpi.


Again this is for squeeze. IIRC there is no Admin box in the earlier
version of cups. There were a bunch of options boxes under each printer
instance. Look for a Modify button, an options buttion and of course
print test page.


Please do NOT write directly to people on Debian User. We use the list
because, in that way, everyone get to learn.


I hope that is help you and I am putting it back on the list for the
benefit of others having the same question.


Tschuss

Wayne



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default printing confusion

On Sat November 21 2009, Wayne wrote:
> In the cups interface http://localhost:631/printers *pick the printer
> and, in squeeze anyway, select *in the administration dropdown select
> Modify printer. Select *Continue on the first two selections until you
> get to the 3rd which allows you to select different PPDs. *I tried all
> the selections for the HP6P and found that the HP LaserJet 6P
> foomatic/ljdith worked best for me. *Once you highlight your selection
> click Modify Printer. *You can then set the options you want the printer
> * to have, like dpi, etc. *Then find the 'print test page' to try it out.

I am happy with my setup in CUPS, that is not the issue. the Gutenprint
printer driver is the best I have found for my Epson R380 printer. My issue
is with the lpr.log file:
# more lpr.log
Nov 21 05:42:29 paulandcilla lpd[11629]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory
Nov 21 05:43:30 paulandcilla lpd[11702]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory


this is from lpd, not CUPS ( I think ??) and I am not sure what it means or
how to get rid of it. Should I not have lpr installed? do I need it?
# dpkg --list lpr
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==============-==============-============================================
ii lpr 1:2008.05.17 BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system

if I try to remove it, it also wants to remove:
libwine-print lsb-core


> Please do NOT write directly to people on Debian User. *We use the list
> because, in that way, everyone get to learn.

sorry, not intentional.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default printing confusion

On Sat November 21 2009, Wayne wrote:
> Go to the Jobs tab in cups. *You should be able to find of the jobs
> shown when you did the lpq -a. *Delete them.
the jobs tab is empty.
>
> Re-reading your OP, I am now confused as to what you want. *You are
> using usb but the lpq -a *showed you had files in the cups spooler under
> a printer using the lp interface. *Did you change printers or how you
> connect to them?
I have an Epson R380 setup in CUPS using the Gutenprint driver:
Description: EPSON USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)
Location: Local Printer
Printer Driver: Epson Stylus Photo R380 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2


my concerns are:
1. /var/log/lpr.log show this:
more lpr.log
Nov 21 05:42:29 paulandcilla lpd[11629]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory
Nov 21 05:43:30 paulandcilla lpd[11702]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory


and I have lpr installed. Not sure if I need it or want it.

2. I have problems printing from SOME web sites, especially when they are PDF
files, it tries to use the lpr printer, and goes nowhere. Sorry, I don't have
a good example handy..

I have these installed:
ii kpdf 4:3.5.9-3+lenny2
ii adobe-flashplugin 10.0.32.18-1
Adobe Flash Player plugin version 10
ii adobereader-enu 8.1.1
Adobe Reader allows you to view navigate and print PDF files.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Klaus Jantzen
 
Default printing confusion

Wayne wrote:

Klaus Jantzen wrote:

Wayne wrote:

Paul Cartwright wrote:
I am using Lenny, up2date. I use CUPS for printing, and everything
prints just fine for MOST applications. I just tried to print a web
page, and I think it was a flash type page. It brought up a very
small window that ( I thought) had the correct gutenprint printer,
and I said OK. nothing printed.


lpstat -t shows:
# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
device for Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1:
usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380 Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
accepting requests since Sat 21 Nov 2009 06:09:54 AM EST printer
Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 is idle. enabled since Sat 21 Nov 2009
06:09:54 AM EST


I had Gutenprint problems with my HP6 laser printer. changed to
foomatic and it works now. YMMV



I also have an HP6MP and with Gutenprint it "takes ages" to get an
output.

What did you change to use foomatic?

In the cups interface http://localhost:631/printers pick the printer
and, in squeeze anyway, select in the administration dropdown select
Modify printer. Select Continue on the first two selections until you
get to the 3rd which allows you to select different PPDs. I tried all
the selections for the HP6P and found that the HP LaserJet 6P
foomatic/ljdith worked best for me. Once you highlight your selection
click Modify Printer. You can then set the options you want the
printer to have, like dpi, etc. Then find the 'print test page' to
try it out.


Thank you for the information. I changed to foomatic with no improvement.
The reason for that is probably the printer.
I read up on the printer info under foomatic and there I found out that
I do not have enough memory in the printer.

After that is fixed I will know more.



In squeeze there are only 5 choices for the HP6P so it doesn't take
long to find a PPC you like.


I have configured my HP6P with 4 different names. printer 6P is set
for 600 dpi, HP6 is 150 dpi, HP6P is 300 dpi, and PDF is when cups
creates a PDF file also at600 dpi.


Again this is for squeeze. IIRC there is no Admin box in the earlier
version of cups. There were a bunch of options boxes under each
printer instance. Look for a Modify button, an options buttion and of
course print test page.


Please do NOT write directly to people on Debian User. We use the
list because, in that way, everyone get to learn.


Sorry, that was not intended. I did not realize that I pressed the wrong
reply button.




I hope that is help you and I am putting it back on the list for the
benefit of others having the same question.


Tschuss

Wayne


--

Cheers,

K.D.J.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Wayne
 
Default printing confusion

Paul Cartwright wrote:

On Sat November 21 2009, Wayne wrote:

In the cups interface http://localhost:631/printers pick the printer
and, in squeeze anyway, select in the administration dropdown select
Modify printer. Select Continue on the first two selections until you
get to the 3rd which allows you to select different PPDs. I tried all
the selections for the HP6P and found that the HP LaserJet 6P
foomatic/ljdith worked best for me. Once you highlight your selection
click Modify Printer. You can then set the options you want the printer
to have, like dpi, etc. Then find the 'print test page' to try it out.


I am happy with my setup in CUPS, that is not the issue. the Gutenprint
printer driver is the best I have found for my Epson R380 printer. My issue
is with the lpr.log file:

# more lpr.log
Nov 21 05:42:29 paulandcilla lpd[11629]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory
Nov 21 05:43:30 paulandcilla lpd[11702]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory


this is from lpd, not CUPS ( I think ??) and I am not sure what it means or
how to get rid of it. Should I not have lpr installed? do I need it?

# dpkg --list lpr
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
uppercase=bad)

||/ Name Version Description
+++-==============-==============-============================================
ii lpr 1:2008.05.17 BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system

if I try to remove it, it also wants to remove:
libwine-print lsb-core



Install the cups-bsd package. see the output of
'apt-cache show cups-bsd'



I would do
aptitude purge lpd
aptitude install cups-bsd libwine-print lsb-core



Wayne



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org