Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default printing confusion

On Sun November 22 2009, Wayne wrote:
> Install the cups-bsd package. see the output of
> 'apt-cache show cups-bsd'

I guess my question is, if I have cups installed, why do I need cups-bsd?

> I would do
> aptitude purge lpd
> aptitude install cups-bsd libwine-print lsb-core

I thought about doing that, but it goes to my question above.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sun November 22 2009, Wayne wrote:
> > if I try to remove it, it also wants to remove:
> > * libwine-print lsb-core
>
> Install the cups-bsd package. see the output of
> 'apt-cache show cups-bsd'
>

> I would do
> aptitude purge lpd

it is actually:
aptitude purge lpr

and when you do that, it "suggests" you install cups-bsd, so your next
aptitude install isn't necessary:

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 410kB will be freed.
libwine-print: Depends: cups-bsd but it is not installable or
cupsys-bsd but it is not installable or
lpr but it is not installable
lsb-core: Depends: lpr but it is not installable

Install the following packages:
cups-bsd [1.3.8-1+lenny7 (stable, stable)]

Score is 39

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
cups-bsd{a}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
lpr{p}

> aptitude install cups-bsd libwine-print lsb-core

now, to see what happens!
thanks for the info!!

Old 11-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Wayne

Paul Cartwright wrote:

On Sun November 22 2009, Wayne wrote:

Install the cups-bsd package. see the output of
'apt-cache show cups-bsd'

That's why I suggested looking at the cups-bsd package description.
cups-bsd is the cups interface to the printer. It replaces all of
the programs that lpr supplied. The entries you were worried about in
your OP were lpr generated. As you stated, you could not print 'some Web
Pages'. As your using cups, why not install it's version of the lpr
programs.

I guess my question is, if I have cups installed, why do I need cups-bsd?

See above. You can't print some web pages now, but you want to. Why
not try cups-bsd. You asked for help and I have given you my
suggestions on how to fix your problem.

I would do
aptitude purge lpd
aptitude install cups-bsd libwine-print lsb-core

I thought about doing that, but it goes to my question above.

Se ya. I'm off to do some real work now.

Wayne

Old 11-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sun November 22 2009, Wayne wrote:
> That's why I suggested looking at the cups-bsd package description.
> cups-bsd is the cups interface to the printer. *It replaces all of
> the programs that lpr supplied. *The entries you were worried about in
> your OP were lpr generated. As you stated, you could not print 'some Web
> Pages'. *As your using cups, why not install it's version of the lpr
> programs.

seems my thread got hijacked, and my responses are split down two threads.. I
did install cups-bsd, actually removing lpr SUGGESTED ( Y/n/q) that I
install cups-bsd, so I did.
I just need to find a web page and see if the problem still exists.
I do thank you for your help!!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Wayne

Paul Cartwright wrote:

On Sun November 22 2009, Wayne wrote:

That's why I suggested looking at the cups-bsd package description.
cups-bsd is the cups interface to the printer. It replaces all of
the programs that lpr supplied. The entries you were worried about in
your OP were lpr generated. As you stated, you could not print 'some Web
Pages'. As your using cups, why not install it's version of the lpr
programs.

seems my thread got hijacked, and my responses are split down two threads.. I
did install cups-bsd, actually removing lpr SUGGESTED ( Y/n/q) that I
install cups-bsd, so I did.

I just need to find a web page and see if the problem still exists.
I do thank you for your help!!

Your Welcome. Hope it works for you now.

Regards

Wayne