Old 11-21-2009, 01:03 AM
John Jason Jordan

Default Nautilus messed up in testing

This morning I did a fresh install of testing amd64 to a new hard drive
in an effort to move to Debian from Ubuntu. This is actually my second
time around; the first time was a month ago. Unfortunately I managed to
mess up my window manager and after several days could not get it
fixed. I needed the computer for other things, so I put the old hard
disk with Jaunty back in and decided to reinstall from scratch later.

That later is now. However, the first time around I discovered that
Nautilus was messed up. If you click on Preferences it will crash. You
can't create bookmarks either. At the time of my first installation I
queried here and some kind soul informed me that it was a bug and that
the only solution was to wait for a the new version.

OK, fine, but it's really annoying. I understand this is testing and
bugs are to be expected. What I'd like to find out is what is the
progress on the new version that will supposedly fix the problems. Or
maybe I can install a release candidate of the new version. Or install
an older version that at least works.

Unfortunately I seem to have deleted the e-mails from a month ago where
I asked about it. Can someone steer me to the place where bugs are
logged for Debian?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:57 AM
Alan Ianson

On Fri November 20 2009 06:03:18 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
> This morning I did a fresh install of testing amd64 to a new hard drive
> in an effort to move to Debian from Ubuntu. This is actually my second
> time around; the first time was a month ago. Unfortunately I managed to
> mess up my window manager and after several days could not get it
> fixed. I needed the computer for other things, so I put the old hard
> disk with Jaunty back in and decided to reinstall from scratch later.
>
> That later is now. However, the first time around I discovered that
> Nautilus was messed up. If you click on Preferences it will crash. You
> can't create bookmarks either. At the time of my first installation I
> queried here and some kind soul informed me that it was a bug and that
> the only solution was to wait for a the new version.

I noticed the preferences in testing weren't working to. In my case I
installed unstable and that fixed the problem for me.

What I usually do when I run testing is to have both testing and unstable in
my /etc/apt/sources.list and I have this in /etc/apt/apt.conf

APT:efault-Release "testing";

That way if I do have a problem I can always install the version from
unstable. I have found that in most cases that will solve the problem. You
need to select the version from unstable yourself, the versions available are
listed in the package details in aptitude.

It is still testing/unstable though, and stuff can happen there..

> OK, fine, but it's really annoying. I understand this is testing and
> bugs are to be expected. What I'd like to find out is what is the
> progress on the new version that will supposedly fix the problems. Or
> maybe I can install a release candidate of the new version. Or install
> an older version that at least works.

http://www.debian.org/Bugs is where you can find info about all the bugs in
debian.

reportbug is a good tool to use to report any bugs you may find, it will list
all outstanding bugs before the actual report is made so you can see if it
has already been reported.

> Unfortunately I seem to have deleted the e-mails from a month ago where
> I asked about it. Can someone steer me to the place where bugs are
> logged for Debian?

I might suggest you just move up to unstable, but that is a choice you need to
make. Testing is a lot like unstable but packages don't move into testing
from unstable until they are 10 days old with no RC bugs reported against
them. If a package does have bugs it won't move into testing and that can be
a problem if other apps depend on it. That's why I have both testing and
unstable in my sources.list.

Anyway, just some stuff for you to think about..

Old 11-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Frank Lin PIAT

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 20:57 -0800, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Fri November 20 2009 06:03:18 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > This morning I did a fresh install of testing amd64 to a new hard drive [..]
> > However, the first time around I discovered that
> > Nautilus was messed up. If you click on Preferences it will crash. You
> > can't create bookmarks either.[..]
>
> I noticed the preferences in testing weren't working to. In my case I
> installed unstable and that fixed the problem for me.
(testing is squeeze)

> What I usually do when I run testing is to have both testing and unstable in
> my /etc/apt/sources.list and I have this in /etc/apt/apt.conf
>
> APT:efault-Release "testing";
>
> That way if I do have a problem I can always install the version from
> unstable. I have found that in most cases that will solve the problem.

I do this too but, but only if it doesn't install a large amount of
package from unstable.

Personally, I set this in /root/.aptitude/config :
aptitude::UI::Package-Display-Format "%c%a%M%S %p %Z %v %V %t";
so the distribution name appears next to the package version.

Franklin