Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 PM
ERSEK Laszlo

Default survey about lbzip2 as a bzip2 alternative in Debian

Dear Debian User,

I apologize for spamming you with this.

I kindly request you to take ten minutes to read my article under [1] on
lbzip2, my parallel bzip2 utility, and to participate in this survey.
Please choose exactly one of the four options below, and send me a mail
with the corresponding mnemonic on the left as the sole word in the mail
subject, and leave the mail body empty.

------------

lbzip2-opt-1 -- I'd like to have lbzip2 available as a bzip2 alternative.

lbzip2-opt-2 -- I'd like to use lbzip2 as a bzip2 alternative only in
combination with tar.

lbzip2-opt-3 -- I don't want to use lbzip2 as a bzip2 alternative in any
way.

lbzip2-opt-4 -- I don't know / I don't care.

------------

I've no idea of what volume of answers to expect; nonetheless, I plan to
release a raw count for each option in the evening of 24-NOV-2009 +0100.
I'll try to get a subscriber count for debian-user if it's public and
calculate the option frequencies relative to the number of answers and to
the number of all subscribers. The summary will be released under the
CC-BY-SA v3.0 license, see [2].

I will not release the full corpus of answers for privacy reasons. I will
send the corpus to any Debian Developer who wants to see it, in a
gpg-encrypted attachment. I think a sufficiently anonymized corpus could
be published, but I personally won't risk that.

(These last two paragraphs may be overkill for this survey. I'm trying to
follow MJR's advice on surveys, see [3].)

As additional info on lbzip2's scaling, I mention [4].

Thank you very much,
Laszlo Ersek

[1] http://debaday.debian.net/2009/11/12/lbzip2-parallel-bzip2-utility/
[2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/