Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 PM
John Jason Jordan

Default Bluetooth on testing

Squeeze amd64 on Thinkpad T61, fresh installation five hours ago. Idiot
user migrating from Jaunty x86_64.

I have long used a bluetooth Razer Pro|Click Mobile mouse, which works
fine on Jaunty. I cannot get it to work in Debian testing.

If I click on the bluetooth icon in the Gnome panel, then Setup new
device ... nothing happens.

If I click on the bluetooth icon in the Gnome panel, then Preferences,
I get a dialog box. However, no devices are shown. The dialog box has a
button for Setup new device ..., but nothing happens when I click on it.

>From the command line:

Devil8:/home/jjj# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:0F:F6:6C:6CB Pro|Click Mobile
Devil8:/home/jjj# hcitool cc 00:0F:F6:6C:6CB
Devil8:/home/jjj#

As seen above, the connect command appears to work without error, but
the mouse still does not work.

Putting the mouse into pairing mode (hold the Connect button down until
the light flashes rapidly) while doing any of the above makes no
difference.

Since hcitool found the mouse it is clear that the installation of
Squeeze correctly found and configured the bluetooth module in the
laptop. Since the mouse works fine in Jaunty, there must be nothing
wrong with the mouse. If there is nothing wrong with the hardware, the
problem must lie in the software, but I am out of ideas.

Suggestions?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Nuno MagalhĂŁes

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 22:15, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
> Since hcitool found the mouse it is clear that the installation of
> Squeeze correctly found and configured the bluetooth module in the
> laptop. Since the mouse works fine in Jaunty, there must be nothing
> wrong with the mouse. If there is nothing wrong with the hardware, the
> problem must lie in the software, but I am out of ideas.
>
> Suggestions?

Something in the gnome configuration? Does the user belong to the
"bluetooth group" (if such exists)? Ubuntu does a lot behind the
scenes with su/do, maybe it's permissions somewhere.

HTH

--
() ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraĆ* html-a retpoƝto
/ ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

Old 11-21-2009, 12:45 AM
John Jason Jordan

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:19:50 +0000
Nuno Magalhăes <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt> dijo:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 22:15, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Since hcitool found the mouse it is clear that the installation of
> > Squeeze correctly found and configured the bluetooth module in the
> > laptop. Since the mouse works fine in Jaunty, there must be nothing
> > wrong with the mouse. If there is nothing wrong with the hardware, the
> > problem must lie in the software, but I am out of ideas.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> Something in the gnome configuration? Does the user belong to the
> "bluetooth group" (if such exists)? Ubuntu does a lot behind the
> scenes with su/do, maybe it's permissions somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion.

There is a bluetooth group, but I was already a member of it. Root was
not, but I added root as well.

Still no joy.