Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Matthew Moore

Default strange aptitude error

On Friday November 20 2009 9:33:41 am drz wrote:
> gzip: stdout: No space left on device
> update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-2-powerpc
> dpkg: Unterprozess installiertes post-installation-Skript gab den
> Fehlerwert 1 zurück
>
> No space left on device? Which device and how can I free some space?
> # df -h
> Dateisystem Größe Benut Verf Ben% Eingehängt auf
> /dev/mapper/hda4_crypt
> 14G 7,0G 6,2G 54% /
> tmpfs 630M 4,0K 630M 1% /lib/init/rw
> udev 10M 324K 9,7M 4% /dev
> tmpfs 630M 88K 630M 1% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda2 93M 69M 20M 78% /boot
> /dev/mapper/hda6_crypt
> 83G 50G 30G 63% /home

My guess would be that it is talking about your /boot. If you have any unused
kernels lying around, try removing them and then running it again. An
alternative would be the resize your /boot so that it is larger.

MM

Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-11-20 17:33 +0100, drz wrote:

> Im facing a problem with aptitude (running testing).
>
> If I run:
> # aptitude update
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct
> the problem.
> Couldnt lock Cache-File ... (translation by me)
> Then download info and:
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct
> the problem.
>
> If I run
> # dpkg --configure -a
> Richte initramfs-tools ein (0.93.4) ...
> update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
> Verarbeite Trigger für initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-2-powerpc
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/FW13 for module b43
> cryptsetup: WARNING: target hda5_crypt uses a key file, skipped
>
> gzip: stdout: No space left on device

This happens when update-initramfs tries to compress the initramfs.
I.e. the device where no space is left is /boot.

> /dev/hda2 93M 69M 20M 78% /boot

That may be a bit small these days with the default update-initramfs
configuration. If you cannot increase the /boot partition, you need to
free some space another way, e.g.

- remove some old kernels, or just their initramfs

- use MODULES=dep in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to reduce the
size of the initramfs

- use backup_initramfs=no in /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf
to disable the creation of initrd.img*.bak files in /boot.

Sven

Old 11-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Márcio H. Parreiras

Hi,

How many kernel images are installed to take 69MB in the /boot?

Regards,

On 2009-11-20 17:33 +0100, drz wrote:

> Im facing a problem with aptitude (running testing).

> If I run:

> # aptitude update

> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct

> the problem.

> Couldnt lock Cache-File ... (translation by me)

> Then download info and:

> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct

> the problem.

> If I run

> # dpkg --configure -a

> Richte initramfs-tools ein (0.93.4) ...

> update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

> Verarbeite Trigger für initramfs-tools ...

> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-2-powerpc

> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/FW13 for module b43

> cryptsetup: WARNING: target hda5_crypt uses a key file, skipped

> gzip: stdout: No space left on device

This happens when update-initramfs tries to compress the initramfs.

I.e. the device where no space is left is /boot.

> /dev/hda2 * * * * * * *93M * 69M * 20M *78% /boot

That may be a bit small these days with the default update-initramfs

configuration. *If you cannot increase the /boot partition, you need to

free some space another way, e.g.

- remove some old kernels, or just their initramfs

- use MODULES=dep in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to reduce the

*size of the initramfs

- use backup_initramfs=no in /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf

*to disable the creation of initrd.img*.bak files in /boot.

Sven

Márcio H. Parreiras

GNU/Linux Professional

Pedro Leopoldo - MG - Brazil

"A caixa dizia: Requer MS Windows ou superior, então eu instalei Debian/GNU Linux!"

http://www.debian.org/index.pt.html

"The box said: Requires MS Windows or better, then I installed Debian/GNU Linux!"
http://www.debian.org/index.en.html

Por favor evite enviar-me anexos MS Excel (.xls, .xlsx), MS PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx) ou MS Word (.doc, .docx)
Veja http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.pt-br.html

Experimente http://www.broffice.org (ABNT NBR ISO/IEC 26300:2006)

Please avoid sending me MS Excel (.xls, .xlsx), MS PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx) or MS Word (.doc, .docx) attachments

Try http://www.openoffice.org (ABNT NBR ISO/IEC 26300:2006)

Filosofia M$: Se podemos complicar, porque simplificar?

M$ philosophy: If we can complicate, why simplify?

Codificação de caracteres / Character encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 PM
drz

On 2009-11-20 17:33 +0100, drz wrote:

>This happens when update-initramfs tries to compress the initramfs.
>I.e. the device where no space is left is /boot.
>
>> /dev/hda2 93M 69M 20M 78% /boot
>
>That may be a bit small these days with the default update-initramfs
>configuration. If you cannot increase the /boot partition, you need to
>free some space another way, e.g.
>
>- remove some old kernels, or just their initramfs
>
>- use MODULES=dep in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to reduce the
> size of the initramfs
>
>- use backup_initramfs=no in /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf
> to disable the creation of initrd.img*.bak files in /boot.
thx a lot to all repliers, I did that and removed the .bak files and it solved
the problem.

greetz
drz