Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Jochen Schulz

Default Why aptitude wants to remove zenity and xserver-xephyr?

Sven Joachim:
> On 2009-11-20 11:17 +0100, Javier Barroso wrote:
>
>> I would like to guess why aptitude removed my zenity and
>> xserver-xephyr when I only want to remove hplip-gui. In its output
>> appear "{u}" , I think it means "because of a upgrade"
>
> No, it means "unused", i.e. these packages were automatically installed,
> and no manually installed packages depend on (or recommend) them
> anymore.
>
> If you don't like this behavior, you can turn off the automatic deletion
> of unused packages. Start the aptitude TUI and uncheck the box under
> "Options -> Preferences -> Remove unused packages automatically".

Or, if you just want to tell aptitude that you don't want it to
auto-remove a certain package:

aptitude unmarkauto zenity

J.
--
When I get home from the supermarket I don't know what to do with all the
plastic.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Javier Barroso

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Sven Joachim:
>> On 2009-11-20 11:17 +0100, Javier Barroso wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to guess why aptitude removed my zenity and
>>> xserver-xephyr when I only want to remove hplip-gui. In its output
>>> appear "{u}" , I think it means "because of a upgrade"
>>
>> No, it means "unused", i.e. these packages were automatically installed,
>> and no manually installed packages depend on (or recommend) them
>> anymore.
>>
>> If you don't like this behavior, you can turn off the automatic deletion
>> of unused packages. *Start the aptitude TUI and uncheck the box under
>> "Options -> Preferences -> Remove unused packages automatically".
>
> Or, if you just want to tell aptitude that you don't want it to
> auto-remove a certain package:
>
> aptitude unmarkauto zenity
Thanks both

Ok, The cause was that I removed gdm, and then xserver-xephyr and
zenity wasn't need any more ...

Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Tony Nelson

On 09-11-20 05:36:13, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-11-20 11:17 +0100, Javier Barroso wrote:
>
> > I would like to guess why aptitude removed my zenity and
> > xserver-xephyr when I only want to remove hplip-gui. In its
> > output appear "{u}" , I think it means "because of a upgrade"
>
> No, it means "unused", i.e. these packages were automatically
> installed, and no manually installed packages depend on (or
> recommend) them anymore.

I'd sure like to find the documentation on those flags!