Old 11-19-2009, 04:54 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default Custom Label Software

I'd like to get some suggestions about what software is best for making custom
labels. Well, not actually making labels, but inserts. Currently, I'm making
them completely by hand, which is long, tiring, and error-prone. I take a
piece of US Letter paper (8.5" x 11") and fold it so that it is divided
roughly in thirds horizontally and fifths vertically, crease, and tear along
the creases. This results in 15 blank inserts that are approximately 2+1/4" x
2+1/2". I then add the text to the inserts with a pen. Some inserts are
duplicates, but never a whole page, so it is important I can easily put
varying text on each insert.

What I'd like to do is find a program that I can tell it I am printing on 11"
x 8.5" (US Letter -- Landscape) paper that I want divided into 3 rows and 5
columns. Then, I could enter the text I need into each "cell". I suppose
with my printer not able to do bleed printing on standard pages, It would have
to be able to handle a hardware-enforced margins along the outside of the
page. It would be preferable if the software could also print very light cut
guides for when I get out the scissors or paper cutter after printing.

I was thinking OO.o could do the job, using New->Label gives a rather
unhelpful dialog. It doesn't seem to want to let me input a custom paper
size, although it will let me put in a custom label size. There is a "Avery
Letter" size, but I don't think it takes into account the margins required for
my printer. Also, when I accept the values in the dialog and the document is
generated, it has me putting in text in portrait orientation, which is
incorrect.

I've heard on a KDE program KBarCode or something that is supposed to handle a
lot of this, but I've got no experience with it. KOffice might also be an
option. I'm hoping someone has some experience with a task like this and can
tell me not only what software to use, but a quick overview of the fastest way
to accomplish my task.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> I'd like to get some suggestions about what software is best for making custom
> labels. Well, not actually making labels, but inserts. Currently, I'm making
> them completely by hand, which is long, tiring, and error-prone. I take a
> piece of US Letter paper (8.5" x 11") and fold it so that it is divided
> roughly in thirds horizontally and fifths vertically, crease, and tear along
> the creases. This results in 15 blank inserts that are approximately 2+1/4" x
> 2+1/2". I then add the text to the inserts with a pen. Some inserts are
> duplicates, but never a whole page, so it is important I can easily put
> varying text on each insert.
>
> What I'd like to do is find a program that I can tell it I am printing on 11"
> x 8.5" (US Letter -- Landscape) paper that I want divided into 3 rows and 5
> columns. Then, I could enter the text I need into each "cell". I suppose
> with my printer not able to do bleed printing on standard pages, It would have
> to be able to handle a hardware-enforced margins along the outside of the
> page. It would be preferable if the software could also print very light cut
> guides for when I get out the scissors or paper cutter after printing.
>
> I was thinking OO.o could do the job, using New->Label gives a rather
> unhelpful dialog. It doesn't seem to want to let me input a custom paper
> size, although it will let me put in a custom label size. There is a "Avery
> Letter" size, but I don't think it takes into account the margins required for
> my printer. Also, when I accept the values in the dialog and the document is
> generated, it has me putting in text in portrait orientation, which is
> incorrect.
>
> I've heard on a KDE program KBarCode or something that is supposed to handle a
> lot of this, but I've got no experience with it. KOffice might also be an
> option. I'm hoping someone has some experience with a task like this and can
> tell me not only what software to use, but a quick overview of the fastest way
> to accomplish my task.

Hello,

Scribus may be the way to go for your needs, just google scribus + label
+ template should get you started.

With Ooo I used templates from
http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-template.htm a while ago, I
think the ".ott" format should open just fine in current Ooo3. Otherwise
you can search there http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/ .

Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Teruel de Campo MD

On Thursday 19 November 2009 10:54:44 am Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> 'd like to get some suggestions about what software is best for making
> custom labels.

I use OO. You can do any label you wanted with any page size you wanted. Of
course it has a zillion templates that make life easier.

1.Open OO and choose Templates or Text and then FIle/new/Labels

2. Enter your text under Label text

3. On the brand drop down menu choose Avery Letter Size

4 Type choose 5871 Laser Business Cards for example

5. New Document

and you have it. Just choose the Avery sheets you like and then selected here
the same item and you are done.

Also OO allows you to use mail merge where you can get info from database. I
use Evolution so I can make labels from a group of addresses I want to without
have to enter each individually. I use mainly this approach for envelopes.

Synchronize content feature can be very handy.

OK do no go to #5 but instead go to /Format tab

There you see how the 5871 Laser Business Cards is formatted, so you can do a
custom format if you need it.

1. go to Format within the dialog box

Horizontal pitch: 3.5
Veritcal Pitch: 3.0
Width: 2.25
Height: 2.5
Left Margin: 0.25
Top Margin 0.2
Colums: 5
Rows: 3

2. Go to Options within the Dialog Box

Checked entire page
Printer/setup choose landscape

3. New Document

and you should be done

Of course I did not spent any time measuring position etc but that is the
process.

-=terry=-

.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20091119_115444, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> I'd like to get some suggestions about what software is best for making custom
> labels. Well, not actually making labels, but inserts. Currently, I'm making
> them completely by hand, which is long, tiring, and error-prone. I take a
> piece of US Letter paper (8.5" x 11") and fold it so that it is divided
> roughly in thirds horizontally and fifths vertically, crease, and tear along
> the creases. This results in 15 blank inserts that are approximately 2+1/4" x
> 2+1/2". I then add the text to the inserts with a pen. Some inserts are
> duplicates, but never a whole page, so it is important I can easily put
> varying text on each insert.
>
> What I'd like to do is find a program that I can tell it I am printing on 11"
> x 8.5" (US Letter -- Landscape) paper that I want divided into 3 rows and 5
> columns. Then, I could enter the text I need into each "cell". I suppose
> with my printer not able to do bleed printing on standard pages, It would have
> to be able to handle a hardware-enforced margins along the outside of the
> page. It would be preferable if the software could also print very light cut
> guides for when I get out the scissors or paper cutter after printing.
>
> I was thinking OO.o could do the job, using New->Label gives a rather
> unhelpful dialog. It doesn't seem to want to let me input a custom paper
> size, although it will let me put in a custom label size. There is a "Avery
> Letter" size, but I don't think it takes into account the margins required for
> my printer. Also, when I accept the values in the dialog and the document is
> generated, it has me putting in text in portrait orientation, which is
> incorrect.
>
> I've heard on a KDE program KBarCode or something that is supposed to handle a
> lot of this, but I've got no experience with it. KOffice might also be an
> option. I'm hoping someone has some experience with a task like this and can
> tell me not only what software to use, but a quick overview of the fastest way
> to accomplish my task.

Look at glabel, which is available in main, I think. It has a vast array of
pre-designed templates, and a template designer that I think will meet your
needs for a specific pattern of labels on letter paper. I use glabel to make
one-off address labels. In that use, its print dialog displays an image of
the sheet of labels and allows you to select which positions on the sheet
will be inked with text/image.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 11-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:54:44AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

..............snip.............

> I was thinking OO.o could do the job, using New->Label gives a rather
> unhelpful dialog. It doesn't seem to want to let me input a custom paper
> size, although it will let me put in a custom label size. There is a "Avery
> Letter" size, but I don't think it takes into account the margins required for
> my printer. Also, when I accept the values in the dialog and the document is
> generated, it has me putting in text in portrait orientation, which is
> incorrect.

It seems to me that I have seen Avery sheets with small rectangular tabs
that can be used for what you want. What dimensions do you need?

You would have better luck posting to the OOo users list.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:54:44 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

(...)

> What I'd like to do is find a program that I can tell it I am printing
> on 11" x 8.5" (US Letter -- Landscape) paper that I want divided into 3
> rows and 5 columns. Then, I could enter the text I need into each
> "cell". I suppose with my printer not able to do bleed printing on
> standard pages, It would have to be able to handle a hardware-enforced
> margins along the outside of the page. It would be preferable if the
> software could also print very light cut guides for when I get out the
> scissors or paper cutter after printing.

I agree with the rest of the comments: Scribus or OOo Writer should do
the job.

But using a predefined template (template wizard) is not always required.
I have developed my own templates in order to adjust it to my printer's
margins but had to make them from scratch.

In your case, I can see some ways to achieve it:

1/ In Writer, by setting the page in landscape layout and inserting a
table (5 columns x 3 rows), specifying a 0.05pt light-grey border so you
can see a thin line in the printed page.

2/ If you need more control over each cell, then you can use "text boxes"
instead a table. Text boxes can be inserted from "Drawing toolbar" and
can be placed at any place in the page layout.

3/ Another option, which allows more control over all the elements
involved in the design, is Scribus (a desktop publishing software), but
if you are not going to use images or any other advanced settings -just
text-, I think Writter should be enough.

Gretings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-20-2009, 01:49 AM
"H.S."

Teruel de Campo MD wrote:
> On Thursday 19 November 2009 10:54:44 am Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> 'd like to get some suggestions about what software is best for making
>> custom labels.
>>
> I use OO. You can do any label you wanted with any page size you wanted. Of
> course it has a zillion templates that make life easier.
>
> 1.Open OO and choose Templates or Text and then FIle/new/Labels
>
> 2. Enter your text under Label text
>
> 3. On the brand drop down menu choose Avery Letter Size
>
> 4 Type choose 5871 Laser Business Cards for example
>
> 5. New Document
>
> and you have it. Just choose the Avery sheets you like and then selected here
> the same item and you are done.
>
> Also OO allows you to use mail merge where you can get info from database. I
> use Evolution so I can make labels from a group of addresses I want to without
> have to enter each individually. I use mainly this approach for envelopes.
>
> Synchronize content feature can be very handy.
>
> OK do no go to #5 but instead go to /Format tab
>
> There you see how the 5871 Laser Business Cards is formatted, so you can do a
> custom format if you need it.
>
> 1. go to Format within the dialog box
>
> Horizontal pitch: 3.5
> Veritcal Pitch: 3.0
> Width: 2.25
> Height: 2.5
> Left Margin: 0.25
> Top Margin 0.2
> Colums: 5
> Rows: 3
>
> 2. Go to Options within the Dialog Box
>
> Checked entire page
> Printer/setup choose landscape
>
> 3. New Document
>
> and you should be done
>
> Of course I did not spent any time measuring position etc but that is the
> process.

Yes, I second OOo. I have created labels for Avery sheets (their sizes
come built-in in OOo), and I have also created custom sized labels. To
the OP: try searching google on how to create labels in OOo if one of
the prebuilt sizes doesn't help you, but OOo works quite well.

Other than that, you have other suggestions in this thread. Plus, you
can try LaTeX if you are in to that, though it takes quite a while
getting used to.

ever having been read.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 19 Nov 2009, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:54:44AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>
> ..............snip.............
>

> > I was thinking OO.o could do the job, using New->Label gives a rather
> > unhelpful dialog. It doesn't seem to want to let me input a custom paper
> > size, although it will let me put in a custom label size. There is a "Avery
> > Letter" size, but I don't think it takes into account the margins required for
> > my printer. Also, when I accept the values in the dialog and the document is
> > generated, it has me putting in text in portrait orientation, which is
> > incorrect.
>
> It seems to me that I have seen Avery sheets with small rectangular tabs
> that can be used for what you want. What dimensions do you need?
>
> You would have better luck posting to the OOo users list.

I did this years ago in Latex for these labels, the kind you stick on
the back of envelopes to show your address. I did it by trial and error,
so long ago that I've forgotten the details. It only needed doing once.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 11-22-2009, 12:42 AM
"S. Fishpaste"

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:54:44 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> --nextPart2035970.ymaEZfMocb
>
> I'd like to get some suggestions about what software is best for making cus=
> tom=20
> labels. Well, not actually making labels, but inserts. Currently, I'm mak=
> ing=20

Haven't used it, but is glabels too simplistic for your needs?

gLabels is a lightweight program for creating labels, barcodes, business
cards and media covers for the GNOME
desktop environment. It is designed to work with various laser/ink-jet
peel-off label and business card
sheets that you'll find at most office supply stores.

gLabels also supports mail merge from sources such as CSV files, vCards
and Evolution data servers.

Author: Jim Evins <evins@snaught.com>
Homepage: http://glabels.sourceforge.net/