Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Javier Barroso

Default Inquiry:What is the equivalent for the screen command?

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 8:58 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> Please be informed that I couldn't find the screen command package for my
> Debian 3.1 server . I really need it to manage multiple screens just*from
> one*login session . I tried to update my Debian repository list , as the
> followings :
> #apt-get update
> Then I tried to find it for installation , by issuing the followings :
> #apt-cache search screen
> But no "screen" found . Can you please do me favor and let me know what is
> the equivalent command that can be used instead of "screen" command on my
> Debian for managing multiple screens ?
Maybe you need replace your repository to archive.debian.org in your
/etc/apt/sources.list

I think this is the line:
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free

Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 PM
John Hasler

AndyC writes:
> Please think seriously about upgrading this to at least Debian 4.0

However, don't skip major releases when upgrading. Go from Sarge to
Etch to Lenny. Don't try to go directly to Lenny.
--
John Hasler

Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, John Hasler wrote:

> AndyC writes:
> > Please think seriously about upgrading this to at least Debian 4.0
>
> However, don't skip major releases when upgrading. Go from Sarge to
> Etch to Lenny. Don't try to go directly to Lenny.

yeah ... been there, done that, as members of this ML will probably
remember. i went thru it in several stages -- first upgrading the 3.1
system as much as possible, then fully upgrading to stock 4.0, then
upgrading that, then fully to 5.1, and so on and so on, constantly
tweaking things along the way.

my only brain fart was not upgrading apache *much* sooner than i
did. do that ASAP.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 11-19-2009, 03:11 PM
John Hasler

Robert P. J. Day writes:
> i went thru it in several stages -- first upgrading the 3.1 system as
> much as possible, then fully upgrading to stock 4.0, then upgrading
> that, then fully to 5.1, and so on and so on, constantly tweaking
> things along the way.

No need to step through all the point releases.
--
John Hasler

Old 11-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 01:40, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 08:37:17AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
>> Thank you for your reply . Please be informed that this Debian 3.1 server is
>> really my DECT server with Asterisk 3.1.14 pre-installed
>
> Asterisk 1.4.13 ?
>
> Debian 5.0 (Lenny) has a package of 1.4.21.2 .
>
> What do you mean by "DECT server"? What hardware is connected to it?

Obviously I don't know exactly what he has set up, but DECT is the (originally
European) cordless phone standard. So I guess he has Asterisk with some
hardware to act as a DECT base station.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
"S. Fishpaste"

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:31:20 -0600, John Hasler in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> AndyC writes:
>> Please think seriously about upgrading this to at least Debian 4.0
>
> However, don't skip major releases when upgrading. Go from Sarge to
> Etch to Lenny. Don't try to go directly to Lenny.

Exactly, I learned this lesson the difficult way. LOL