Old 11-19-2009, 06:58 AM
hadi motamedi

Default Inquiry:What is the equivalent for the screen command?

Dear All
Please be informed that I couldn't find the screen command package for my Debian 3.1 server . I really need it to manage multiple screens just*from one*login session . I tried to update my Debian repository list , as the followings :

#apt-get update
Then I tried to find it for installation , by issuing the followings :
#apt-cache search screen
But no "screen" found . Can you please do me favor and let me know what is the equivalent command that can be used instead of "screen" command on my Debian for managing multiple screens ?
Let me thank you in advance
*

Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 07:58:56AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Please be informed that I couldn't find the screen command package for my
> Debian 3.1 server . I really need it to manage multiple screens just from
> one login session . I tried to update my Debian repository list , as the
> followings :
> #apt-get update
> Then I tried to find it for installation , by issuing the followings :
> #apt-cache search screen
> But no "screen" found . Can you please do me favor and let me know what is
> the equivalent command that can be used instead of "screen" command on my
> Debian for managing multiple screens ?
> Let me thank you in advance

Sure it's there:

http://archive.debian.net/screen

But why would you run a Sarge server?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 11-19-2009, 07:31 AM
"Andrew M.A. Cater"

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 07:58:56AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Please be informed that I couldn't find the screen command package for my
> Debian 3.1 server . I really need it to manage multiple screens just from
> one login session . I tried to update my Debian repository list , as the
> followings :
> #apt-get update
> Then I tried to find it for installation , by issuing the followings :
> #apt-cache search screen
> But no "screen" found . Can you please do me favor and let me know what is
> the equivalent command that can be used instead of "screen" command on my
> Debian for managing multiple screens ?
> Let me thank you in advance

Please think seriously about upgrading this to at least Debian 4.0

You have no security support: you have no updates: you are running a
version of Debian that is now well behind the current Debian stable.

If the server is not critical / you have few users using it, consider a
full reinstall of Debian 4.0 or 5.0. [The move from kernel 2.4 to 2.6
was slightly more difficult than usual and there were other major
changes hence the major version bump].

The release notes for 4.0 should tell you how to upgrade: the release
notes for 5.0 tell you how to move from 4.0 -> 5.0

All the best,

AndyC

Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Johan Grönqvist

hadi motamedi skrev:

Dear All
Please be informed that I couldn't find the screen command package for
my Debian 3.1 server . I really need it to manage multiple screens
just from one login session . I tried to update my Debian repository
list , as the followings :

#apt-get update

As Debian 3.1 is no longer supported, I am not sure about the
availability of packages. Can you find and install other packages.
Otherwise you may have to look at the archive
<http://archive.debian.org/debian/README>, or upgrade to a more recent
release.

Then I tried to find it for installation , by issuing the followings :
#apt-cache search screen
But no "screen" found . Can you please do me favor and let me know what
is the equivalent command that can be used instead of "screen" command
on my Debian for managing multiple screens ?

The screen program is available in the package screen, see
<http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=screen>.

Regards

Johan

Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 AM
hadi motamedi

Thank you for your reply . Please be informed that this Debian 3.1 server is really my DECT server with Asterisk 3.1.14 pre-installed . If I try to upgrade my Debian OS to higher releases , can you please let me know if there will be any inconsistency/incompatibility issue ?

Thank you in advance

*

--
Tzafrir Cohen * * * * | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| a Mutt's

ICQ# 16849754 * * * * | * * * * * * * * * *| friend

Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 08:37:17AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your reply . Please be informed that this Debian 3.1 server is
> really my DECT server with Asterisk 3.1.14 pre-installed

Asterisk 1.4.13 ?

Debian 5.0 (Lenny) has a package of 1.4.21.2 .

What do you mean by "DECT server"? What hardware is connected to it?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend