Old 11-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Mike Allegro

Default New Debian install problem

I just installed Debian 5.0 and it seem to install just fine. After the
installation I rebooted my computer and Debian Linux loaded up, when it
goes into the graphics part I see a blue screen with a symbol that
reminds me of the hour glass symbol from Microsoft Windows. After the
symbol disappears it should go to the login screen but it does not. It
goes to a solid white screen where there is nothing but the mouse
pointer. I am not sure what is going on? Do you have any ideas? Could
it be a problem with my graphics card? I have the following in my computer;

AMD 1.2 Ghz processor
512 Mb Ram
Diamond graphics card with ATI 9250 chipset with 128 MB ram
80Gb hard drive
CD Drive
CD Burner

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Regards,

Mike

Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 AM
Greg Madden

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 16:51:38 Mike Allegro wrote:
> I just installed Debian 5.0 and it seem to install just fine. After the
> installation I rebooted my computer and Debian Linux loaded up, when it
> goes into the graphics part I see a blue screen with a symbol that
> reminds me of the hour glass symbol from Microsoft Windows. After the
> symbol disappears it should go to the login screen but it does not. It
> goes to a solid white screen where there is nothing but the mouse
> pointer. I am not sure what is going on? Do you have any ideas? Could
> it be a problem with my graphics card? I have the following in my
> computer;
>
> AMD 1.2 Ghz processor
> 512 Mb Ram
> Diamond graphics card with ATI 9250 chipset with 128 MB ram
> 80Gb hard drive
> CD Drive
> CD Burner
>

> Any help would be appreciated!!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

It is a driver, video card issue, ATI. The radeon driver changed. Search for 'white
screen of death' , ATI

--
Peace

Greg Madden

Old 11-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Brian Denheyer

Mike,

A mouse pointer is a good thing as it means X is probably working.

To get a login window you need a "display manager" of some sort.

Usually its "gdm", but could also be mwm, kdm, and several others (I
think).

Make sure that gdm is installed, e.g.

ii gdm 2.20.10-1 GNOME Display Manager

Your version may not necessarily match mine. jDepending on your setup
you may be running one of the other display managers.

Try

dpkg --list | grep -i "manager"

and see what shows up.

If there is a display manager installed, then there is some issue with
the start-up scripts.

Brian

Mike> I just installed Debian 5.0 and it seem to install just fine.
Mike> After the installation I rebooted my computer and Debian Linux
Mike> loaded up, when it goes into the graphics part I see a blue
Mike> screen with a symbol that reminds me of the hour glass symbol
Mike> from Microsoft Windows. After the symbol disappears it should
Mike> go to the login screen but it does not. It goes to a solid
Mike> white screen where there is nothing but the mouse pointer. I
Mike> am not sure what is going on? Do you have any ideas? Could
Mike> it be a problem with my graphics card? I have the following
Mike> in my computer;

Mike> AMD 1.2 Ghz processor 512 Mb Ram Diamond graphics card with
Mike> ATI 9250 chipset with 128 MB ram 80Gb hard drive CD Drive CD
Mike> Burner

Mike> Any help would be appreciated!!!

Mike> Regards,

Mike> Mike

Old 11-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Brian Denheyer

Mike,

That's great !

I'm not quite sure why you could see a mouse pointer if your video
card wasn't working. Very strange.

My experience with ATI and Linux has been very bad.

I've got an ATI in this G5 that I'm using and it's been the first ATI
card which has worked reliably for me under Linux. I started buying
nvidia a while ago. They've got problems too, but fewer than ATI.

Maybe now that AMD's got them things will get better. Linux & AMD has always worked well for me.

Brian

p.s. disable html when you post...

Mike> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Mike> Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
Mike> content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"
Mike> bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"> Brian,<br> <br> I figured it
Mike> out.&nbsp; The problem was my ATI 9250 video card.&nbsp; I
Mike> went out today and bought a NVidia Geforce 6200 and everything
Mike> Brian Denheyer wrote: <blockquote
Mike> cite="mid:19204.57726.330475.553234@gargle.gargle. HOWL"
Mike> type="cite"> <pre wrap="">Mike,

Mike> A mouse pointer is a good thing as it means X is probably
Mike> working.

Mike> To get a login window you need a "display manager" of some
Mike> sort.

Mike> Usually its "gdm", but could also be mwm, kdm, and several
Mike> others (I think).

Mike> Make sure that gdm is installed, e.g.

Mike> ii gdm 2.20.10-1 GNOME Display Manager

Mike> Your version may not necessarily match mine. jDepending on
Mike> your setup you may be running one of the other display
Mike> managers.

Mike> Try

Mike> dpkg --list | grep -i "manager"

Mike> and see what shows up.

Mike> If there is a display manager installed, then there is some
Mike> issue with the start-up scripts.

Mike> Brian

Mike> <blockquote type="cite"> <blockquote type="cite"> <blockquote
Mike> type="cite"> <pre wrap="">"Mike" == Mike Allegro <a
Mike> class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
Mike> href="mailto:mikeallegro71@gmail.com">&lt;mikealle gro71@gmail.com&gt;</a>
Mike> just installed Debian 5.0 and it seem to install just fine.
Mike> Mike&gt; After the installation I rebooted my computer and
Mike> Debian Linux Mike&gt; loaded up, when it goes into the
Mike> graphics part I see a blue Mike&gt; screen with a symbol that
Mike> reminds me of the hour glass symbol Mike&gt; from Microsoft
Mike> Windows. After the symbol disappears it should Mike&gt; go to
Mike> the login screen but it does not. It goes to a solid Mike&gt;
Mike> white screen where there is nothing but the mouse pointer. I
Mike> Mike&gt; am not sure what is going on? Do you have any ideas?
Mike> Could Mike&gt; it be a problem with my graphics card? I have
Mike> the following Mike&gt; in my computer;

Mike> Mike&gt; AMD 1.2 Ghz processor 512 Mb Ram Diamond graphics
Mike> card with Mike&gt; ATI 9250 chipset with 128 MB ram 80Gb hard
Mike> drive CD Drive CD Mike&gt; Burner

Mike> Mike&gt; Any help would be appreciated!!!

Mike> Mike&gt; Regards,

Mike> Mike&gt; Mike

Mike> PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head>
Mike> <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"

Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 AM
T o n g

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:27:06 -0900, Greg Madden wrote:

> It is a driver, video card issue, ATI. The radeon driver changed. Search
> for 'white screen of death' , ATI

Ok, the problem is all over the web, from time to time. what's the
solution?

I don't have any proprietary fglrx ati drivers installed, all I have is
xorg, xserver-xorg-video-all & fluxbox.

when I 'startx', the fluxbox starts but the computer freeze entirely, not
even the caps/num locks keys.

This is a recently debootstrap installed SID box. what's the solution?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/