FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
AG
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

I used to use korganizer, but for whatever reason it no longer minimises
to my notification area in Gnome, and when it does I cannot click it to
open it to add new reminders.


I want to have a reminder that can run in the background when I don't
need it and minimises to the notification area (system tray?) in Gnome
(the area near the clock on a default lay out), and when an appointment
is due it pops up with a reminder. There are any number of calendars,
etc., but I haven't been able to find something that I am looking for
(such as something similar to korganizer).


Can anyone make a recommendation please? I am running Testing.

Thanks.

AG


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Charlie
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:27:35 +0000 AG
<computing.account@googlemail.com> shared this with us all:

>I used to use korganizer, but for whatever reason it no longer
>minimises to my notification area in Gnome, and when it does I cannot
>click it to open it to add new reminders.
>
>I want to have a reminder that can run in the background when I don't
>need it and minimises to the notification area (system tray?) in Gnome
>(the area near the clock on a default lay out), and when an
>appointment is due it pops up with a reminder. There are any number
>of calendars, etc., but I haven't been able to find something that I
>am looking for (such as something similar to korganizer).
>
>Can anyone make a recommendation please? I am running Testing.
>
>Thanks.
>
>AG

Don't know Korganiser but Kalarm might work for you? I use it with
FVWM, don't know it it will work correctly with Gnome? Probably won't
pull in much more KDE stuff than you already have?

HTH
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
.................................................. ...

It is an illusion that youth is happy, an illusion of those who have
lost it; but the young know they are wretched for they are full of the
truthless ideal which have been instilled into them, and each time they
come in contact with the real, they are bruised and wounded. ...W.
Somerset Maugham

.................................................. ...

Debian GNU/Linux - just the best way to create magic


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 AM
didier gaumet
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

Le Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:27:35 +0000,
AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> a écrit :

[...]
> I want to have a reminder that can run in the background when I don't
> need it and minimises to the notification area (system tray?) in
> Gnome (the area near the clock on a default lay out), and when an
> appointment is due it pops up with a reminder.
[...]

Hi,
You can try Orage or Osmo



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:41 AM
AG
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

didier gaumet wrote:

Le Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:27:35 +0000,
AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> a écrit :

[...]


I want to have a reminder that can run in the background when I don't
need it and minimises to the notification area (system tray?) in
Gnome (the area near the clock on a default lay out), and when an
appointment is due it pops up with a reminder.


[...]

Hi,
You can try Orage or Osmo





Merci Didier



Orage seems to do the job quite nicely.



AG
 
Old 11-21-2009, 03:54 AM
"S. Fishpaste"
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:27:35 +0000, AG in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> I used to use korganizer, but for whatever reason it no longer minimises
> to my notification area in Gnome, and when it does I cannot click it to
> open it to add new reminders.
>
> I want to have a reminder that can run in the background when I don't
> need it and minimises to the notification area (system tray?) in Gnome
> (the area near the clock on a default lay out), and when an appointment
> is due it pops up with a reminder. There are any number of calendars,
> etc., but I haven't been able to find something that I am looking for
> (such as something similar to korganizer).
>
> Can anyone make a recommendation please? I am running Testing.

Evolution is the best I've found so far. Bonus if you're using Google
Calendar, as it interfaces nicely with it. One doesn't need to have
Evolution running in order to be reminded of tasks/appts.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Lisi
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

On Saturday 21 November 2009 04:54:11 S. Fishpaste wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:27:35 +0000, AG in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> > I used to use korganizer, but for whatever reason it no longer minimises
> > to my notification area in Gnome, and when it does I cannot click it to
> > open it to add new reminders.
> >
> > I want to have a reminder that can run in the background when I don't
> > need it and minimises to the notification area (system tray?) in Gnome
> > (the area near the clock on a default lay out), and when an appointment
> > is due it pops up with a reminder. There are any number of calendars,
> > etc., but I haven't been able to find something that I am looking for
> > (such as something similar to korganizer).
> >
> > Can anyone make a recommendation please? I am running Testing.
>
> Evolution is the best I've found so far. Bonus if you're using Google
> Calendar, as it interfaces nicely with it. One doesn't need to have
> Evolution running in order to be reminded of tasks/appts.

+1

Although I use KDE, I much prefer Evolution's calendar to KOrganizer. I
install Evolution expressly to be able to use the calendar function, even
tho' it is the only bit of it that I use.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:19 AM
AG
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

Lisi wrote:

On Saturday 21 November 2009 04:54:11 S. Fishpaste wrote:


On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:27:35 +0000, AG in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:


I used to use korganizer, but for whatever reason it no longer minimises
to my notification area in Gnome, and when it does I cannot click it to
open it to add new reminders.

I want to have a reminder that can run in the background when I don't
need it and minimises to the notification area (system tray?) in Gnome
(the area near the clock on a default lay out), and when an appointment
is due it pops up with a reminder. There are any number of calendars,
etc., but I haven't been able to find something that I am looking for
(such as something similar to korganizer).

Can anyone make a recommendation please? I am running Testing.


Evolution is the best I've found so far. Bonus if you're using Google
Calendar, as it interfaces nicely with it. One doesn't need to have
Evolution running in order to be reminded of tasks/appts.



+1

Although I use KDE, I much prefer Evolution's calendar to KOrganizer. I
install Evolution expressly to be able to use the calendar function, even
tho' it is the only bit of it that I use.

Lisi




Hmmm ... plus all of the additional overhead of a MS Outlook clone.* I
reckon that I'll stick with Orage thanks.
 
Old 11-22-2009, 12:15 AM
"S. Fishpaste"
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:19:36 +0000, AG in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:

[ ...]

> Hmmm ... plus all of the additional overhead of a MS Outlook clone. I
> reckon that I'll stick with Orage thanks.

Yeah, but that's not a bad thing necessarily, M$ Outlook is really the gold
standard for calendaring/organizing. Let's give credit where it's due; I'm
no M$FT apologist but it does, do *some* things quite well.

I use XFce, and personally didn't care for Orage, but understand your point
of the "overhead".


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Johann Spies
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:29:19AM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> > Evolution is the best I've found so far. Bonus if you're using Google
> > Calendar, as it interfaces nicely with it. One doesn't need to have
> > Evolution running in order to be reminded of tasks/appts.
>

It is a pity that Evolution does not have the ability to sync using
caldav. I can do that on icedove using the server from the Chandler
project as backend.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4599
Informasietegnologie, Universiteit van Stellenbosch

"The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to
all that call upon him in truth."
Psalms 145:18


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:35 AM
"S. Fishpaste"
 
Default Calendar/ reminder wanted - recommendations

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:09:22 +0200, Johann Spies in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:29:19AM +0000, Lisi wrote:
>> > Evolution is the best I've found so far. Bonus if you're using Google
>> > Calendar, as it interfaces nicely with it. One doesn't need to have
>> > Evolution running in order to be reminded of tasks/appts.
>>
>
> It is a pity that Evolution does not have the ability to sync using
> caldav. I can do that on icedove using the server from the Chandler
> project as backend.

Your attribution is wrong. ;-D

Haven't used CALDAV in Evolution. If it doesn't sync what's it used for
then? Sorry not being obtuse, a genuine question.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org