Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Zachary Uram

Default Bizarre X windows behaviour?

Running Debian lenny. I installed the Catalyst driver (from
manufacturer) for my ATI Radeon
HD 4550 card and it seems to be working, but I noticed something weird.
Now when I move a window it no longer shows the window static as it is
being moved,
it's like it keeps redrawing it as I move it. So as I drag it it will move it a
little then redraw the window, move it a little, then redraw the
window, etc. Also I noticed in Firefox when I scroll it does the same
thing, instead of keeping the text fixed it redraws the text as the
scroller moves. i really don't like this. It didn't do this in Ubuntu
and I used to same driver. How can I fix this? Here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "off"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "0-CRT2"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "PreferredMode" "1440x900"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "0 0"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
Option "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "Monitor-CRT2" "0-CRT2"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Regards,
Zach

Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:23:34PM -0500, Zachary Uram wrote:
> Running Debian lenny. I installed the Catalyst driver (from
> manufacturer) for my ATI Radeon
> HD 4550 card and it seems to be working, but I noticed something weird.
> Now when I move a window it no longer shows the window static as it is
> being moved,
> it's like it keeps redrawing it as I move it. So as I drag it it will move it a
> little then redraw the window, move it a little, then redraw the
> window, etc.

don't take this the wrong way, but how do you think it is done? The
image is redrawn constantly to give the effect of motion. It's just
that usually the redraw happens fast enough for you to not see it.

I don't know a thing about ATI, but it sounds to me like the driver is
not making use of any hardware acceleration, so the redraw is taking
longer. I'm willing to bet that if you watch your cpu, you'll see it
taking the load when you rapidly move a window around.

I would suggest investigating what acceleration is available for that
driver/card combination. There may be options you aren't using that
will remedy the situation for you.

sorry I'm not more helpful, but maybe that points you in the right
direction.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Klistvud

Dne, 21. 11. 2009 00:10:15 je Andrew Sackville-West napisal(a):

> > Running Debian lenny. I installed the Catalyst driver (from
> > manufacturer) for my ATI Radeon
> > HD 4550 card and it seems to be working, but I noticed something

I may be misreading your post, but it would be smarter if you installed
the fglrx package(s) from the 'non-free' repository instead of the
'from manufacturer' driver. You should first uninstall your current
Catalyst driver, of course.

--
Regards and good luck,

Klistvud