Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Fred Zinsli

Default 503-I386 net install problem

Hello all

*

I have been trying this for some time now and can't seem to resolve the problem.

*

Version: Debian stable i386 503 netinst

Downloaded today as an ISO from the Debian site.

*

I get to the point where the installer asks for the mirror and it goes away and scans the mirror/security/volatile repositories.

*

At that point it all stops.

On the install screen it shows the "Select and install software" banner with the message "Please wait ..." at the bottom, and it is at 1% on the progress bar.

It does this for any mirror I select. I don't believe it is a problem with my network as my other D503 server updates properly (apt-get update), and other distros (Centos & FC) install on the same server.

*

Ctrl+Alt+F4 screen

Initializing package states...

Writing extended state information...

Reading task descriptions...

libgnutls26 libnewt0.52 libssl0.9.8 linuximage-2.6.26-2-686 tzdata

whiptail

7 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 25.1MB of archives. After unpacking 926kB will be used.

Untrusted versions of the following packages will be installed!

Untrusted packeges could compromise your system's security.

You should only proceed with the installation if you are certain that

this is what you want to do.

tzdata

Do you want to ignor this warning and proceed anyway?

To continue, enter "Yes"; to abort, enter "No":

*

That is as far as I am getting.

This is now day 11 and I am getting a little the worse for the effort.

*

If I bypass the mirror select the base system installs and grub installs. But with my very limited knowledge I can't seem to get any further head with that as I can't seem to install any other packages using apt-get with the CD in the drive. Yup, really limited knowledge.

*

Can someone please put me out of my misery and point out the error of my ways.

*

Regards

*

Fred

Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Charlie

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:43:05 +1300 Fred Zinsli
<fred.zinsli@shooter.co.nz> shared this with us all:

>Hello all
>
>I have been trying this for some time now and can't seem to resolve the
>problem.
>
>Version: Debian stable i386 503 netinst
>
>Downloaded today as an ISO from the Debian site.
>
>I get to the point where the installer asks for the mirror and it goes
>away and scans the mirror/security/volatile repositories.
>
>At that point it all stops.
>
>On the install screen it shows the "Select and install software" banner
>with the message "Please wait ..." at the bottom, and it is at 1% on
>the progress bar.
>
>It does this for any mirror I select. I don't believe it is a problem
>with my network as my other D503 server updates properly (apt-get
>update), and other distros (Centos to abort, enter "No":
>
>That is as far as I am getting.
>
>This is now day 11 and I am getting a little the worse for the effort.
>
>If I bypass the mirror select the base system installs and grub
>installs. But with my very limited knowledge I can't seem to get any
>further head with that as I can't seem to install
>any other packages using apt-get with
>the CD in the drive. Yup, really limited knowledge.
>
>Can someone please put me out of my misery and point out the error of
>my ways.
>
>Regards
>
>Fred

While this is happening do you press F4 key, I think that's it, just to
see what is really happening. Depending on your connection speed it may
take some time to scan this mirror and the all its packages.

In the past, my connection speed has been slow and and I saw just how
slow when I hit F4.

Hope that helps.
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
.................................................. ...

I do not confer praise or blame: I accept. I am the measure of all
things. I am the centre of the world. ........W. Somerset Maugham

.................................................. ...

Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Fred Zinsli

OK, so I started it all again (can do this blind folded now).
After I select the mirror I select Alt+F4 to the the terminal screen.
I see it scanning the mirror, security and volatile repositories.
D/L speed is about 182Kb/s

It then all stops at the place mentioned in my original message.
I can leave it there for hours (over night), nothing happens.

It seems all ridiculous considering I could do a net install up until about
2 weeks ago.
I have done nothing with the firewall, no changes to the network, no new
equipment. And whats even more perplexing is that it will happily scan the
repositories without error. I even download the netinst ISO again and
burned it to CD again just in case mine had an error.

There has to be something I am missing (and probably looking right at it)
but I can't see the wood for the trees.

Further comments would be most helpful.

Regards

Fred

Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 14:49:35 Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 18. 11. 2009 00:43:05 je Fred Zinsli napisal(a):
>

> I think you may be overcomplicating things: IIUC, you *can install
> the base system* without specifying any mirrors. Why don't you just do
> that then?
> IIRC, that's actually *not* without mirrors -- it's just the default US
> servers the installer defaults to. Once you have the base system, you
> just fire up Synaptics
<SNIP>

Synaptic in base system? I dont think it is part of it. But in any case,
aptitude will work. You may also use tasksel after a base install. Something
like tasksel install standard will install, well tandard staff, then tasksel
install desktop will install gnome destop, or if you kde or xfe:
desktop=kde (for kde desktop) then tasksel install desktop.
Hope it helps (even if it does not explain why you get stack!)
Thierry

Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Klistvud