-   -   Which javas? (Was java / iceweasel) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/281802-javas-java-iceweasel.html)

Ken Heard 11-17-2009 02:16 PM

Which javas? (Was java / iceweasel)

Camaleón 11-17-2009 04:43 PM

Which javas? (Was java / iceweasel)

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:16:24 -0500, Ken Heard wrote:

> In my box the command "update-alternatives --config java" returns the
> following:
>
> There are 3 alternatives which provide `java'.
>
> Selection Alternative
> - -----------------------------------------------
> 1 /usr/bin/gij-4.3
> *+ 2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
> 3 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
>
> What is the difference among the three?

- The first one, I dunno :-?

...oh, it's an intrepreter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Interpreter_for_Java

- The second one is an open version of a Java compiler.

- The third one is the Sun's JRE java version. I find this is the best
(stable and compatible) version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Java_implementations

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Alex Samad 11-17-2009 05:34 PM

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 05:43:13PM +0000, Camale?n wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:16:24 -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
>
> > In my box the command "update-alternatives --config java" returns the
> > following:
> >
> > There are 3 alternatives which provide `java'.
> >
> > Selection Alternative
> > - -----------------------------------------------
> > 1 /usr/bin/gij-4.3
> > *+ 2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
> > 3 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java

I think the main issue is with the libraries and how complete classpath
is compared to the sun one. I believe (last time I looked), that a
majority of the standard java library from sun has been opensourced, but
some small part hasn't.

gij + gcj should produce runnable code from java source, you will see a
lot of deb java package with -gcj helper packages - eclipse and
openoffice.

I have been stung by a few quirky instances where gij/gcj hasn't worked,
so I stick with the sun implementations.

your milage may vary

alex

--
"There may be some tough times here in America. But this country has gone through tough times before, and we're going to do it again."

- George W. Bush
08/13/2002
Waco, TX

Ken Heard 11-17-2009 06:33 PM

Which javas? (Was java / iceweasel)

Wolodja Wentland 11-17-2009 07:18 PM

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 14:33 -0500, Ken Heard wrote:

> On Camaleón's advice in alternatives I changed my default java to the
> sun-java6-jre version. In your post you also indicated that that
> version is the best one to use. I have consequently purged the packages

You might want to consider installing openjdk-6-jre, which is the open
source variant of SUN's JRE. For more information see [1], but just to
give you a little teaser:

"A few of us have been discussing the removal of sun-java6. It is
non-free, orphaned, buggy (including security bugs), and can generally
be replaced by openjdk"

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/10/msg00140.html
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :

Ken Heard 11-18-2009 05:07 PM

Which javas? (Was java / iceweasel)

Ken Heard 11-18-2009 07:52 PM

Which javas? (Was java / iceweasel)

Camaleón 11-18-2009 09:21 PM

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:52:23 -0500, Ken Heard wrote:

> Another java question.

It seems you are vey interested in Java :-)

> While I have installed icedtea-gcjwebplugin (Lenny),openjdk-6-jre and
> dependencies I note that the java website has available a Linux version
> of java, jre1.6_17.

Yes, it's the Sun's package. At Sun's web page you will always find the
most updated java version available.

> While this version is proprietary and likely the
> latest, is it nevertheless dependable enough to use with Debian Lenny --
> OR am I better off using openjdk-6-jre with icedtea-gcjwebplugin?

Well, that depends on your specific needs.

For example, I am using a fax program that works better with the Sun's
JRE Java. Also, there are some online banks that requiere the Sun's java
version in order to make online operations.

But if you have no special "java needs", then you are fine with the open
version.

> jre1.6.17 does have disadvantages that it does not appear in the java
> alternatives list, and I presumably have to make a symbolic link to plug
> it in to my browsers. If I were to use this version, which plugin should
> I use, the ns07 or the ns07-gcc?

I would stay with your current setup. In the event you need any other
java jre version or something does not work for you, just use the "update-
lateratives" command to set as default the Sun's java you already have
installed in your system.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Alex Samad 11-18-2009 10:53 PM

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:21:20PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:52:23 -0500, Ken Heard wrote:

[snip]

> For example, I am using a fax program that works better with the Sun's
> JRE Java. Also, there are some online banks that requiere the Sun's java
> version in order to make online operations.
>
> But if you have no special "java needs", then you are fine with the open
> version.

I have (previously) found a few web site where the openjre plugin
doesn't work

hope this isn't going to be one of those occasions where the dev's say
'well it works most of the time, so thats good enough' I haven't had any
problems with the sun plugin it work each and every time.

[snip]

--
"One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end."

- George W. Bush
01/08/2003
Washington, DC

Alex Samad 11-19-2009 12:20 AM

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:53:43AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:21:20PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:52:23 -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> >

> [snip]
>

> > For example, I am using a fax program that works better with the Sun's
> > JRE Java. Also, there are some online banks that requiere the Sun's java
> > version in order to make online operations.
> >
> > But if you have no special "java needs", then you are fine with the open
> > version.
>
> I have (previously) found a few web site where the openjre plugin
> doesn't work
>

> hope this isn't going to be one of those occasions where the dev's say
> 'well it works most of the time, so thats good enough' I haven't had any
> problems with the sun plugin it work each and every time.

I thought I would try the icedtea plugin but it failed - it was a
internet trading site.....

--
"My administration has been calling upon all the leaders in the -- in the Middle East to do everything they can to stop the violence, to tell the different parties involved that peace will never happen."

- George W. Bush
08/13/2001
Crawford, TX