Old 11-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Sthu Deus

Default running acceleraation on ati-hardware

Good day.

I have ATI x1100 on a laptop and in x-server logs I see that it load Radeon driver with GLX module... - AFAIK it should allow 3D direct rendering - but it is not - visually and the glxinfo utility states the same. It also states about setting

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose

for more info - so I did at the shell, then run the glxinfo

but no additional info was added.

So, in case the above should support 3D DR, how I can fix that?

In /etc/xorg.conf I have only keyboard settings - all other is set at run time.

Thank You for Your time.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Steven Demetrius

Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good day.
>

> I have ATI x1100 on a laptop and in x-server logs I see that it load Radeon driver with GLX module... - AFAIK it should allow 3D direct rendering - but it is not - visually and the glxinfo utility states the same. It also states about setting
>
> LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose
>
> for more info - so I did at the shell, then run the glxinfo
>
> but no additional info was added.
>
> So, in case the above should support 3D DR, how I can fix that?
>
> In /etc/xorg.conf I have only keyboard settings - all other is set at run time.
>
> Thank You for Your time.

Sthu Deus:

Are you using the open-source module or the proprietary module?

In order to use 3D acceleration you have to use the proprietary module
from ATI/AMD. You can install it via the Fglrx model package in the
Debian repository or download it directly from ATI/AMD. The safest way
is to use the Debian package.

Read the README and other text files that come with the Fglrx package,
you have to install it first. I've found that in some cases I have to
rebuild the Fglrx module with Module-Assistant (m-a). After you install
the module and other dependent packages you have to run

Here is one easy way to install and setup the ATI/AMD module:

1. Install the module-assistant package
2. Run module-assistant (m-a) as root
3. Update m-a. There is an option in m-a to do this
4. Select the Fglrx module
5. Build the Fglrx module
6. Install the Fglrx module. After m-a as built the module it will ask
you if you want to install it. Select yes. It will all so install all
the dependent packages.
7. Exit m-a
8. Reboot the computer.
9. Run as root "aticonf --initial" to configure xorg.conf. If X window
is running kill it first.
10. Start X window or reboot.

You can test it by running one of the 3D screen savers.

Steven.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Dave Witbrodt

Steven Demetrius wrote:

Sthu Deus wrote:

I have ATI x1100 on a laptop and in x-server logs I see that it load

>> Radeon driver with GLX module... - AFAIK it should allow 3D direct
>> rendering - but it is not - visually and the glxinfo utility states
>> the same. It also states about setting

[...]

Are you using the open-source module or the proprietary module?

In order to use 3D acceleration you have to use the proprietary module
from ATI/AMD. You can install it via the Fglrx model package in the
Debian repository or download it directly from ATI/AMD. The safest way
is to use the Debian package.

This is not correct. The open source drivers, 'radeon' and 'radeonhd'
should both be able to handle 3D on Radeon X1000 generation hardware.
Here is a quote from the 'radeonhd' wiki

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

"The driver supports full modesetting (read: any mode is usable, not
only those provided by the BIOS), and is compatible to RandR 1.3. 2D
and Xv (video) acceleration is provided for all supported GPUs; 3D
acceleration via Mesa is supported for r5xx/rs690 GPUs (X1xxx) and is in
progress for r6xx/r7xx GPUs (HD2xxx-HD4xxx)."

Open source support for 3D depends not only on the X server (DDX)
driver, but also having a version of Mesa compiled with DRI drivers for
your hardware and DRM modules in the Linux kernel.

I would advise folks having problems with 3D on 'radeon' or 'radeonhd'
to send emails to the mailing lists for the driver they are using. Info
about the mailing lists can be found on the freedesktop.org wiki: see
above for the 'radeonhd' wiki URI, and the URI for the 'radeon' wiki is

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon

Read the README and other text files that come with the Fglrx package,
you have to install it first. I've found that in some cases I have to
rebuild the Fglrx module with Module-Assistant (m-a). After you install
the module and other dependent packages you have to run

At this point, 'fglrx' is a poor choice for Radeon X1000 cards, since
ATI has dropped Linux support for their old hardware. The only choice
for people with old ATI cards now is the open source drivers.

HTH,
Dave W.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Steven:

> Are you using the open-source module or the proprietary module?

If You talk about driver, then I use an open one - the "radeon".

> In order to use 3D acceleration you have to use the proprietary module
> from ATI/AMD.

I have read from somewhere in the list about 3D acceleration only in that case for the x1200 card and it was said that it should work with 3D. I supposed x1100 should too...

Are You sure about only AMD's driver will let me to have 3D-acceleration for the x1100 (RS485M)?