-   -   SD Card not being seen (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/281143-sd-card-not-being-seen.html)

Alan Chandler 11-16-2009 09:37 AM

SD Card not being seen

I am running Debian Sid, and have a USB multicard reader installed in my
PC. I know the card reader is seen, lsusb lists it

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1
Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)

And /dev is populated with /dev/sdc,/dev/sdd, /dev/sde and /dev/sdf
which appear to be the four different card slots on this unit. (I
presume it is acting as a hub, because when I plug a usb thumb stick on
the usb port on it, it adds another device /dev/sdg)

I know the SD card I have is formated with vfat, since I can see it on a
Sheeva plug computer that I have. However, I cannot detect it when
installed in the card reader on my Debian Sid PC.

When I plug the SD card in, the reader shows an orange light, showing
its detected something, but (for instance) running fdisk -l does not
show it, and I cannot see any devices appearing in /dev (such as
/dev/sd[cdef]1) to indicated the card is seen.

Am I missing something, like a modprobe that is needed? or is it likely
that the hardware doesn't work (I have never used it before, despite
being several years old).

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Klistvud 11-16-2009 01:22 PM

SD Card not being seen

Sorry for pointing out the obvious, but have you tried setting up a
mount folder and manually mounting the device therein? Regardless of
the configuration of your system, manual mounting should always work,
even when various automounting daemons are disabled ...

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Stefan Monnier 11-16-2009 02:03 PM

SD Card not being seen

> When I plug the SD card in, the reader shows an orange light, showing
> its detected something, but (for instance) running fdisk -l does not
> show it, and I cannot see any devices appearing in /dev (such as
> /dev/sd[cdef]1) to indicated the card is seen.

What does `dmesg' say?

Stefan

Joe 11-16-2009 02:19 PM

SD Card not being seen

Alan Chandler wrote:
[...]

I've just been through this on Ubuntu, Googling around and seeing people
being recommended to look up the device name in dmesg, create a mount
point and then manually mount it...

That's fine on a server, where you want a lean, highly tuned machine
with minimum crud, but when I plug a USB stick/drive into a desktop or
laptop, I want it mounted for me. NOW.

The missing link is usbmount.

--
Joe

T o n g 11-16-2009 04:42 PM

SD Card not being seen

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:37:47 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

> When I plug the SD card in, the reader shows an orange light, showing
> its detected something, but (for instance) running fdisk -l does not
> show it, and I cannot see any devices appearing in /dev (such as
> /dev/sd[cdef]1) to indicated the card is seen.
>
> Am I missing something, like a modprobe that is needed? or is it likely
> that the hardware doesn't work (I have never used it before, despite
> being several years old).

yes, as others indicated, 'dmesg' will tell you why.

Let me guess, the reader doesn't support SDHC (since it's several years
old) but your are inserting a SDHC card? Try inserting a SD card which is
less than 2G first and see what you get.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Charles Kroeger 11-17-2009 01:17 AM

SD Card not being seen

>I know the card reader is seen, lsusb lists it

With your favorite file manager, look at /dev/disk/by-id I think you will see what Debian has designated for this card reader. It will be a 'disk' with a standard device name: sd<something> You can then put a line in your /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sd<something> /mnt vfat defaults 0 0

to have it mounted each time you boot the computer

If you stick someones memory card or stick into that reader and the reader is mounted as /dev/sdf the memory card you just installed will be /dev/sdf1 and to mount that assuming it will be using a file system like FAT* you will be able to mount it by:

#mount -t vfat /dev/sdf1 /mnt

With your file manager, go to /mnt/<your memory card or stick> open that and all your say, .jpg images will be lined up just like in your camera.

By the way, if it's images from a camera we're talking about here try this one:

Move these .jpg files to a folder on your home directory then install and start Google Picasa, a thoroughly astounding piece of non-free software:

The best way to load it is to put this in your sources.list:

deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main

get the signing key:

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add -

apt-get update

apt-get install picasa

If you run Gnome or KDE there will be desktop integration for you pussies but if you run a sturdy window manger get an Xterm console and type in: $ picasa
then sit back and watch it go. For a corporate piece of non-free software to work like this on Debian, you have to think things are looking up from the bad old days of ms oppression of God's operating system. Well I hate editorializing so don't get me started.

--
CK

Alan Chandler 11-19-2009 07:51 AM

SD Card not being seen

On Monday 16 Nov 2009, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I am running Debian Sid, and have a USB multicard reader installed in
> my PC. I know the card reader is seen, lsusb lists it
>
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1
> Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)
>
> And /dev is populated with /dev/sdc,/dev/sdd, /dev/sde and /dev/sdf
> which appear to be the four different card slots on this unit. (I
> presume it is acting as a hub, because when I plug a usb thumb stick
> on the usb port on it, it adds another device /dev/sdg)

Thanks for all the tips, including the suggestion that it might not read
sdhc cards. I can't make anything work, and there is no indication in
dmesg or anywhere else I can find that the plugging in of the card is
seen. Yet the moment I load it into my ubuntu netbook, it works
perfectly. I have to assume the hardware is broken.