Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Thierry Chatelet

Default Hs: Messender + video

Hello
Running squeeze, I am looking for a messenger that support chat with a webcam.
Thanks for any tips.
Thierry

Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

11/16/2009 02:53 PM, Thierry Chatelet::

Running squeeze, I am looking for a messenger that support chat with a webcam.
Thanks for any tips.

One tip:
http://www.google.com/search?q=pidgin+empathy+webcam

+261 33 11 207 36

Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
App Des

It has become a universal standard, skype is probably the most appropriate, and works suprisingly well when setup correctly. The latest version has also solved problems with PulseAudio (in case you use it in squeeze). I recommend getting the static build from the official site.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,16.Nov.09, 14:01:04, App Des wrote:
> It has become a universal standard, skype is probably the most appropriate,
> and works suprisingly well when setup correctly. The latest version has also
> solved problems with PulseAudio (in case you use it in squeeze). I recommend
> getting the static build from the official site.

Works fine without pulseaudio as well

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

11/16/2009 03:01 PM, App Des::

works suprisingly well when setup correctly

As far as I know, every software behave that way.

+261 33 11 207 36

Old 11-16-2009, 01:40 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> Hello
> Running squeeze, I am looking for a messenger that support chat with a webcam.
> Thanks for any tips.
> Thierry

If you don't need to join an particular network, you can go with a sip
account and one of the good clients like "ekiga", "qutecom" (picky with
webcams), "linphone"...

To join Microsoft "messenger" network, I had good luck with "amsn" (and
the "libsnack2-alsa" package), kde "kopete" is supposed to do the same,
but it never worked with a webcam for me.
For skype there's skype for Linux.

They all work with a webcam.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Monday 16 November 2009 15:40:52 tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > Hello
> > Running squeeze, I am looking for a messenger that support chat with a
> > webcam. Thanks for any tips.
> > Thierry
>
> If you don't need to join an particular network, you can go with a sip
> account and one of the good clients like "ekiga", "qutecom" (picky with
> webcams), "linphone"...
>
> To join Microsoft "messenger" network, I had good luck with "amsn" (and
> the "libsnack2-alsa" package), kde "kopete" is supposed to do the same,
> but it never worked with a webcam for me.
> For skype there's skype for Linux.
>
> They all work with a webcam.

This is to set a computer for a grandma so she can see her grandchildren. So I
tried amsn, and did work. So I guess I will leave it like that.
Thank you to all for all tips
Thierry