Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

Default results: debian-user's favourite FLOSS (2009)

Hi,

Following is the results of a poll that has been running for over a
week, one which questions readers of debian-user to list their
favourite FLOSS -> Free (Libre) or Open Source Software.

There's the usual stars in the form of Firefox/Iceweasel, GIMP,
aptitude, and OpenOffice.org's word processor. There still isn't
competition for the audio editor, Audacity and there's the usual
category killers in the form of K3b (disc burner), Pidgin (instant
messenger), and MPlayer (movie player). KTorrent also got quite a
following while Okular (pdf reader) looks like the hot new kid on the
block.

One other thing, which is biased considering this is a Debian list,
Debian wins again as the most respected community/organisation in the
entire FLOSS landscape.

Listed below is entries which received at least 3 votes; for anything
else, please do search the archive. If specific entrants won before,
I've listed the year(s) when.

audio editor:
audacity [2005-2008] x6 votes

audio player:
amarok [2005, 2007, 2008] x6 votes
mplayer x3
rhythmbox x3

cd-ripper:
abcde x4

DBMS:
sqlite x3
postgresql x3

desktop environment OR window manager:
KDE4 [2007] x5
GNOME [2005-2008] x4

development:
emacs [2008] x3

disc burner:
k3b [2005-2008] x8
wodim x5

e-mail client:
mutt [2006-2008] x5
icedove/thunderbird [2005] x3
claws-mail x3

file manager:
mc [2005, 2006] x6
bash x3

ftp client:
mc, wget x3

games:
wesnoth [2008] x3

image creator/editor:
gimp [2005-2008] x11
inkscape x4

image viewer:
gqview [2006] x3
gpicview x3

instant messenger:
pidgin [2005-2008] x4
irssi x3

misc utilities:
screen [2007, 2008] x3

p2p:
ktorrent [2008] x7

package manager:
aptitude 11 [2005-2008]
apt 7
synaptic 3

pdf/ps-reader:
okular, xpdf x6
evince [2006, 2007, 2008] x5

spreadsheet:
OOo [2006-2008] x8

terminal emulator:
gnome-terminal [2005, 2006] x3
xterm x3

text editor:
emacs x7
vim [2006-2008] x5

video player:
mplayer [2005-2008] x8
vlc x4

web browser:
iceweasel/firefox [2005-2008] x12

word-processor:
OOo [2006-2008] x12
emacs (latex) x3

non-free:
skype [2008] x3

any organisation/community deserving great honours:
Debian [2008] x11
GNU x4
FSF, Linux x3

sidenote:
this year has had probably the worst participation since I've started
this poll in 2005 :-(

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com

Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:07:21PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following is the results of a poll that has been running for over a
> week, one which questions readers of debian-user to list their
> favourite FLOSS -> Free (Libre) or Open Source Software.
[...]
> sidenote:
> this year has had probably the worst participation since I've started
> this poll in 2005 :-(

I noticed that as well. Kinda sad. Any thoughts as to why?

my .02 is that the list doesn't seem to have quite the breadth of
traffic it has had before. But that's a cursory observation at best.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Tim Tebbit

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> I noticed that as well. Kinda sad. Any thoughts as to why?
>
> my .02 is that the list doesn't seem to have quite the breadth of
> traffic it has had before. But that's a cursory observation at best.

This seem to back that up.

http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-user.png

Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 08:31:47PM -0500, Tim Tebbit wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>

> > I noticed that as well. Kinda sad. Any thoughts as to why?
> >
> > my .02 is that the list doesn't seem to have quite the breadth of
> > traffic it has had before. But that's a cursory observation at best.
>
> This seem to back that up.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-user.png

first of all, thanks for a great link. moving one up in the directory
is amazing!

And it seems to be the same across most of the more active lists. I
thought perhaps amd64 was getting some of the traffic with the rise in
that architecture, but no, it is falling as well. Interesting.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:18 AM
Dotan Cohen

>> sidenote:
>> this year has had probably the worst participation since I've started
>> this poll in 2005 :-(
>
> I noticed that as well. Kinda sad. Any thoughts as to why?
>
> my .02 is that the list doesn't seem to have quite the breadth of
> traffic it has had before. But that's a cursory observation at best.

My guess would be the popularity of Ubuntu. Much of the pie went
there. As Ubuntu is Debian-derived, how about doing the poll there as
well?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Tixy

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 20:31 -0500, Tim Tebbit wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>

> > I noticed that as well. Kinda sad. Any thoughts as to why?
> >
> > my .02 is that the list doesn't seem to have quite the breadth of
> > traffic it has had before. But that's a cursory observation at best.
>
> This seem to back that up.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-user.png

Perhaps http://forums.debian.net/ took the traffic. That seems to have
started at the end of 2004 - about the same time the debian-user list
trafic began to decline.

--
Jon

Old 11-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 03:31, Tim Tebbit<ttebbit@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>

>> I noticed that as well. Kinda sad. Any thoughts as to why?
>>
>> my .02 is that the list doesn't seem to have quite the breadth of
>> traffic it has had before. But that's a cursory observation at best.
>
> This seem to back that up.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-user.png

Thanks for the link. Did you however notice that membership is at an
all-time high? Good sign according to me. I think the quality of
questions are also rising (cursory observation) so maybe more newbies
are running to Ubuntu.

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com

Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:18, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> sidenote:
>>> this year has had probably the worst participation since I've started
>>> this poll in 2005 :-(
>>
>> I noticed that as well. Kinda sad. Any thoughts as to why?
>>
>> my .02 is that the list doesn't seem to have quite the breadth of
>> traffic it has had before. But that's a cursory observation at best.
>>

> My guess would be the popularity of Ubuntu. Much of the pie went
> there. As Ubuntu is Debian-derived, how about doing the poll there as
> well?

I actually once did, but am sure I'll be swamped if I try now - Ubuntu
is massive! It would be nice though to compare the response
(favourites) from both camps. I'll limit myself to Debian for now;
maybe next year :-(

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com

Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Dotan Cohen

> I actually once did, but am sure I'll be swamped if I try now - Ubuntu
> is massive! It would be nice though to compare the response
> (favourites) from both camps. I'll limit myself to Debian for now;
> maybe next year :-(

Would you like me to do it? I am rather active on the Ubuntu and
Kubuntu lists. I have no problem taking responsibility for those lists
every year, and you keep up the good work with Debian. What do you
say?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:25, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I actually once did, but am sure I'll be swamped if I try now - Ubuntu
>> is massive! It would be nice though to compare the response
>> (favourites) from both camps. I'll limit myself to Debian for now;
>> maybe next year :-(
>>

> Would you like me to do it? I am rather active on the Ubuntu and
> Kubuntu lists. I have no problem taking responsibility for those lists
> every year, and you keep up the good work with Debian. What do you
> say?

magnificent! when u going to start it? I'm going to re-subscribe right
now just for the poll!

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com