Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default results: debian-user's favourite FLOSS (2009)

>> Would you like me to do it? I am rather active on the Ubuntu and
>> Kubuntu lists. I have no problem taking responsibility for those lists
>> every year, and you keep up the good work with Debian. What do you
>> say?
>
> magnificent! when u going to start it? I'm going to re-subscribe right
> now just for the poll!

Go subscribe, I'll post in about ten minutes.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Avi Greenbury

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:01:20 +0200
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Would you like me to do it? I am rather active on the Ubuntu and
> >> Kubuntu lists. I have no problem taking responsibility for those
> >> lists every year, and you keep up the good work with Debian. What
> >> do you say?
> >
> > magnificent! when u going to start it? I'm going to re-subscribe
> > right now just for the poll!
> >

> Go subscribe, I'll post in about ten minutes.

Ah, handy!

I managed to miss this on here, so I'll await its appearance on the
dark side.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Tim Tebbit

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> My guess would be the popularity of Ubuntu. Much of the pie went
> there. As Ubuntu is Debian-derived, how about doing the poll there as
> well?

Out of curiosity I extracted unique email address from ubuntu-users.mbox
available from their archive site. The archive starts 15 Sep 2004, and I
found 10,809 unique address give or take a few my patterns missed.

I'm sure their current subscription is not that high, and I was not able
to find a mbox for debian-user ( a good thing ) to see what debian had
over the same time period for comparison.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:01:53 -0500
Tim Tebbit <ttebbit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >
> > My guess would be the popularity of Ubuntu. Much of the pie went
> > there. As Ubuntu is Debian-derived, how about doing the poll there as
> > well?
> >

> Out of curiosity I extracted unique email address from ubuntu-users.mbox
> available from their archive site. The archive starts 15 Sep 2004, and I
> found 10,809 unique address give or take a few my patterns missed.
>
> I'm sure their current subscription is not that high, and I was not able
> to find a mbox for debian-user ( a good thing ) to see what debian had
> over the same time period for comparison.

As you say, a good thing Here's a harvester to go through an mbox
file and print out all the 'froms' found (requires Mail::MboxParser -
install libmail-mboxparser-perl):

#! /usr/bin/perl -w

# usage: 'harvester.pl mbox'
# prints all values of 'from' lines in 'mbox'
# to do useful things with this, you'll probably want to pipe the output
# through sort, and sometimes uniq, e.g.:
# 'harvester.pl mbox | sort | uniq | wc -l' - count the number of unique
# addresses found (not entirely accurate, since there can be multiple
# equivalent variations of the same address

use Mail::MboxParser;

my $parseropts = {
enable_cache => 1,
enable_grep => 1,
cache_file_name => '/tmp/harvester-cache-file',
};

my $mb = Mail::MboxParser->new(shift, decode => 'ALL', parseropts => $parseropts);
while (my $msg = $mb->next_message) {print $msg->header->{from}, "
"}

Celejar

Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 AM
T o n g

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:51:31 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

>>> my .02 is that the list doesn't seem to have quite the breadth of
>>> traffic it has had before. But that's a cursory observation at best.
>>
>> This seem to back that up.
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-user.png
>
> Thanks for the link. Did you however notice that membership is at an
> all-time high? Good sign according to me.

Yeah, I hold that view as well.

> I think the quality of
> questions are also rising (cursory observation)

I feel the same (can't back it up).

> so maybe more newbies
> are running to Ubuntu.

Isn't it a good thing? I think it is amazingly good. Take a look at all
those questions asked in the Ubuntu forum, >90% are tasteless. What's
worse, (have you flipped down several index pages?), the questions on the
4th or 5th pages are just asked hours ago! I think the "huge success" of
Ubuntu is becoming the huge disaster for it at the same time. With such
huge traffic, any question that need a little more thinking would be
neglected.

I recently asked a question there, and on noticing the above fact, I
didn't even bother to bump up my question. Why bother? Several hours
later it will end up on 6th pages again.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 11-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Dotan Cohen

> Isn't it a good thing? I think it is amazingly good. Take a look at all
> those questions asked in the Ubuntu forum, >90% are tasteless. What's
> worse, (have you flipped down several index pages?), the questions on the
> 4th or 5th pages are just asked hours ago! I think the "huge success" of
> Ubuntu is becoming the huge disaster for it at the same time. With such
> huge traffic, any question that need a little more thinking would be
> neglected.
>
> I recently asked a question there, and on noticing the above fact, I
> didn't even bother to bump up my question. Why bother? Several hours
> later it will end up on 6th pages again.

That is precicely why the quality of the Debian list has improved. The
gurus know that thier important question will be over the Ubuntites'
heads, and they ask here. For me, it comes down to this:
Trivial questions that google should have answered but didn't: Ubuntu list
Tough questions that require specialized knowledge: Debian list
Software recomendations and hardware problems: Fedora list

The probelm with that approach is that I tend to bikeshed on the
Debian list as I try to help where I can, but my personal knowledge is
below the list average. But I read and experiment a lot, so I learn.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Gabor Urban

Hi, are there possibilies to do this survey using a internet-based
user interface. I think, this might give more up-to-date information.

--
Linux: Choice of a GNU Generation

Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <f7ac28aa0911180510s43a22c8bybc551ce6bdbaecd0@mail .gmail.com>, Gabor Urban
wrote:
>Hi, are there possibilies to do this survey using a internet-based
>user interface.

It has used email traveling over the Internet since it's inception. That's an
Internet-based user interface in my book.

Is it possible your mean "web-based"? That's still a bad term, since people's
definitions of "the web" seems to vary from person to person, but usually
includes HTTP, HTTPS, HTML, CSS, ECMAScript, and various image and font
standards, with possibly a bit of Flash.

I, for one, probably wouldn't have participated if I had to open a web
browser. I certainly wouldn't have participated if I had to register.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 11-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Javier Barroso

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> In <f7ac28aa0911180510s43a22c8bybc551ce6bdbaecd0@mail .gmail.com>, Gabor Urban
> wrote:
>>Hi, are there possibilies to do this survey using a internet-based
>>user interface.
>
> It has used email traveling over the Internet since it's inception. *That's an
> Internet-based user interface in my book.
>
> Is it possible your mean "web-based"? *That's still a bad term, since people's
> definitions of "the web" seems to vary from person to person, but usually
> includes HTTP, HTTPS, HTML, CSS, ECMAScript, and various image and font
> standards, with possibly a bit of Flash.
>
> I, for one, probably wouldn't have participated if I had to open a web
> browser. *I certainly wouldn't have participated if I had to register.
It would be useful if you can choose both methods (mail and doodle
like system)

I think that a webapp can do the hard work of recollect all the data
from people that doesn't dislike webapps and then a poor human can
translate from email replies to the database and get stats from both.

I don't like the mail chains ... and don't like to webapps ... so
it would be useful to have a cli interface to such task !

Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM
"S. Fishpaste"

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:15:54 +0100, Javier Barroso in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:

> I think that a webapp can do the hard work of recollect all the data
> from people that doesn't dislike webapps and then a poor human can
> translate from email replies to the database and get stats from both.
>
> I don't like the mail chains ... and don't like to webapps ... so
> it would be useful to have a cli interface to such task !

Me neither. I didn't participate because there wasn't a web based app. It's
not like there isn't any FOSS web based poll software available ...