Old 11-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Edmond Halley

Default Want new kernel >2.6.28 supporting ext4

Hi, all

I installed debian lenny 5.0.3. The kernel is 2.6.26, I want a newer kernel image >2.6.28. Can I just "apt-get install" a new kernel? I can't find new kernel in the repository by apt-cache search "kernel-image" or search in aptitude.

If there is not pre-compile kernel image in the repository, does it mean I myself have to compile it from source?

Thanks, all!

Best Regards!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:05 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:56:46AM +0800, Edmond Halley wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I installed debian lenny 5.0.3. The kernel is 2.6.26, I want a newer
> kernel image >2.6.28. Can I just "apt-get install" a new kernel? I can't
> find new kernel in the repository by apt-cache search "kernel-image" or
> search in aptitude.

Sadly, the kernel present in Debian Lenny is 2.6.26+17+lenny1 (i386
and amd64). Read below for further options.

> If there is not pre-compile kernel image in the repository, does it mean I
> myself have to compile it from source?

You could compile your own kernel using kernel-package[1]. However,
you could also leverage on the Lenny backports; the current backported
kernel is 2.6.30+20~bpo50+1 [2]. You can learn more about backports
here:

http://wiki.debian.org/Backports and
http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php

HTH.

Kumar

[1]: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/kernel-package
[2]: http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/linux-image-2.6-amd64
--
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
-- Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel

Old 11-16-2009, 03:17 AM
John Hasler

Edmond Halley writes:
> I installed debian lenny 5.0.3. The kernel is 2.6.26, I want a newer kernel
> image >2.6.28. Can I just "apt-get install" a new kernel? I can't find new
> kernel in the repository by apt-cache search "kernel-image" or search in
> aptitude.

Try searching for "linux-image".
--
John Hasler