Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Roy Stuivenberg

Default java / iceweasel

After spending a whole evening trying to get java to work with
iceweasel ..

Help appreciated to get the job done.

My last attempt was this one :
> http://www.rsreese.com/2009/05/installing-sun-java-on-debian-lenny.html

That also didn't work.

Regards,

Roy Stuivenberg.

--
_
_ooOoo_
o8888888o
88" . "88
(| -_- |)
O = /O
____/`---'\____
.' | |// `.
/ ||| : |||//
/ _||||| -:- |||||_
| | - /'| | |
| \_| ``---'// |_/ |
.-\__ `-. -'__/-. /
___`. .' /--.-- `. .'___
."" '< `.___\_<|>_/___.' _> "".
| | : `- `. ;`. _/; .'/ / .' ; |
`-. \_\_`. _.'_/_/ -' _.' /
===========`-.`___`-.__ \___ /__.-'_.'_.-'================

Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Camaleón

El Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:09:31 +0100, Roy Stuivenberg escribió:

> After spending a whole evening trying to get java to work with iceweasel
> ..
>
> Help appreciated to get the job done.
>
> My last attempt was this one :
>> http://www.rsreese.com/2009/05/installing-sun-java-on-debian-lenny.html
>>
> That also didn't work.

That installs JDK (Java Development Kit) and maybe you need JRE (Java
Runtime Environment) to run applets within the browser.

Just install "sun-java6-jre" and run "update-alternatives --config java"
to select the default java path. Then you're done :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:09:31PM +0100, Roy Stuivenberg wrote:

> After spending a whole evening trying to get java to work with
> iceweasel ..

I gave up on the Sun packages, too. The icedtea plugin works for me,
though, and is reasonably compatible with most Java applets--not all,but
most.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 11-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Camaleón

El Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:10:50 +0000, Camaleón escribió:

(...)

> Just install "sun-java6-jre" and run "update-alternatives --config java"
> to select the default java path. Then you're done :-)

You send the message to my direct mail :-)

***
Wish that was true

Selectie Alternatieven
1 /usr/bin/gij-4.3
+ 2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
* 3 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
***

So, you mean you have set the right path to the right Java and still
Icewasel cannot run any applets? That's weird.

What "aboutlugins" says?

And what tells "http://www.java.com/es/download/installed.jsp"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Roy Stuivenberg

--
_
_ooOoo_
o8888888o
88" . "88
(| -_- |)
O = /O
____/`---'\____
.' | |// `.
/ ||| : |||//
/ _||||| -:- |||||_
| | - /'| | |
| \_| ``---'// |_/ |
.-\__ `-. -'__/-. /
___`. .' /--.-- `. .'___
."" '< `.___\_<|>_/___.' _> "".
| | : `- `. ;`. _/; .'/ / .' ; |
`-. \_\_`. _.'_/_/ -' _.' /
===========`-.`___`-.__ \___ /__.-'_.'_.-'================

Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Roy Stuivenberg

Camaleon,

In this case, I think the question would be
how to make the symbolic link java-6-sun / iceweasel

Regards,

Roy.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Camaleón

El Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:20:35 +0100, Roy Stuivenberg escribió:

> Camaleon,
>
> In this case, I think the question would be how to make the symbolic
> link java-6-sun / iceweasel

It should done automatically, once you run "update-alternatives" and
choose the Sun's one.

Can you please post the results of the tests I told you before so we can
check what is being happening with your config? :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Roy Stuivenberg

Camaleón,

I reinstalled sun-6-java .. and now it's working.
First time I installed using aptitude, and get stuck with the license
agreement .. after fixing broken with synaptic manager, it didn't work,
so I think it was the license agreement, that did not pass.

Thanks for the help.

Kind regards,

Roy Stuivenberg.

--
_
_ooOoo_
o8888888o
88" . "88
(| -_- |)
O = /O
____/`---'\____
.' | |// `.
/ ||| : |||//
/ _||||| -:- |||||_
| | - /'| | |
| \_| ``---'// |_/ |
.-\__ `-. -'__/-. /
___`. .' /--.-- `. .'___
."" '< `.___\_<|>_/___.' _> "".
| | : `- `. ;`. _/; .'/ / .' ; |
`-. \_\_`. _.'_/_/ -' _.' /
===========`-.`___`-.__ \___ /__.-'_.'_.-'================

Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Camaleón

El Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:59:57 +0100, Roy Stuivenberg escribió:

> Camaleón,
>
> I reinstalled sun-6-java .. and now it's working. First time I installed
> using aptitude, and get stuck with the license agreement .. after fixing
> broken with synaptic manager, it didn't work, so I think it was the
> license agreement, that did not pass.

That's fine, becasue I really dunno why your Iceweasel was unable to see
any of your java binaries (openjdk nor Sun's java) O:-)

I was performing some Lenny installations over the weekend and Java setup
was very easy and straightforward.

> Thanks for the help.

Your welcome. Glad you got it working :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:10:50PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> El Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:09:31 +0100, Roy Stuivenberg escribió:
>
> > After spending a whole evening trying to get java to work with iceweasel
> > ..
> >
> > Help appreciated to get the job done.
> >
> > My last attempt was this one :
> >> http://www.rsreese.com/2009/05/installing-sun-java-on-debian-lenny.html
> >>
> > That also didn't work.
>
> That installs JDK (Java Development Kit) and maybe you need JRE (Java
> Runtime Environment) to run applets within the browser.
>
> Just install "sun-java6-jre" and run "update-alternatives --config java"
> to select the default java path. Then you're done :-)
that can be a problem if you have openjdk installed with the icedtea
plugin, because it has priority over the sun plugin - but doesn't always
work

--
A man said to the Universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the Universe,
"the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."
-- Stephen Crane