FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-15-2009, 04:24 AM
hadi motamedi
 
Default Inquiry:How to enable Telnet & SSH on my Debian 3.1 server?

Dear All
Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I enable telnet & ssh on my Debian 3.1 server (as it does not support them at now) ?
Let me thank you in advance
*
 
Old 11-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
 
Default Inquiry:How to enable Telnet & SSH on my Debian 3.1 server?

hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I enable telnet &
> ssh on my Debian 3.1 server (as it does not support them at now) ?

Just install the packages with the servers. In the latest version they
are openssh-server and telnetd (or another package providing
telnet-server). This may be different in previous versions, but you can
find out packages with 'apt-cache search telnet' or a similar command.

Note, however, that telnet is quite unsecure as it transmits passwords
in cleartext. ssh is better, but old versions of both may have security
problems. If you are going to have services running on your machine,
it's highly recommended to upgrade to the latest stable version, Debian
5.0 because this version gets security fixes, unlike your ancient version.


--
You know it's going to be a long day when you get up, shave and shower,
start to get dressed and your shoes are still warm.
-- Dean Webber

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-15-2009, 10:14 AM
hadi motamedi
 
Default Inquiry:How to enable Telnet & SSH on my Debian 3.1 server?

Thank you for your reply . Please be informed that I tried as the followings :
#apt-cache search telnet
#apt-get install telnet
At now , my Debian server can telnet to my MS Windows client but my MS Windows client cannot telnet to my Debian server . Can you please let me know what is still wrong ?
Thank you in advance


*
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:


hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I enable telnet &
> ssh on my Debian 3.1 server (as it does not support them at now) ?


Just install the packages with the servers. In the latest version they
are openssh-server and telnetd (or another package providing
telnet-server). This may be different in previous versions, but you can
find out packages with 'apt-cache search telnet' or a similar command.


Note, however, that telnet is quite unsecure as it transmits passwords
in cleartext. ssh is better, but old versions of both may have security
problems. If you are going to have services running on your machine,

it's highly recommended to upgrade to the latest stable version, Debian
5.0 because this version gets security fixes, unlike your ancient version.


--
You know it's going to be a long day when you get up, shave and shower,

start to get dressed and your shoes are still warm.
* * * * * * * *-- Dean Webber

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Neal Hogan
 
Default Inquiry:How to enable Telnet & SSH on my Debian 3.1 server?

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 5:14 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply . Please be informed that I tried as the followings
> :
> #apt-cache search telnet
> #apt-get install telnet
> At now , my Debian server can telnet to my MS Windows client but my MS
> Windows client cannot telnet to my Debian server . Can you please let me
> know what is still wrong ?
> Thank you in advance

# apt-get install telnetd
# /etc/init.d/inetd restart


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default Inquiry:How to enable Telnet & SSH on my Debian 3.1 server?

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:14:41AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your reply . Please be informed that I tried as the followings
> :
> #apt-cache search telnet
> #apt-get install telnet
> At now , my Debian server can telnet to my MS Windows client but my MS
> Windows client cannot telnet to my Debian server . Can you please let me
> know what is still wrong ?
> Thank you in advance

You need to run telnet daemon (telnetd).

In lenny (Debian 5.0), inetutils-telnetd, krb5-telnetd, telnetd, and
telnetd-ssl seems to provide such.

I have no idea what package offer telnetd in Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
(a.k.a. sarge, two before current stable release). I bet for simple
telnetd.

Unless you have special reason, you should use current stable release.
Once you get to understans basics, you can play with old ones as hobby.
They are still available at http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/

I think learning some basics should help you.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/index.en.html

Most of "Inquiry" are answered or hinted in there.

Osamu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Hartwig Atrops
 
Default Inquiry:How to enable Telnet & SSH on my Debian 3.1 server?

Hi.

On Sunday 15 November 2009 12:14, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your reply . Please be informed that I tried as the
> followings
>
> #apt-cache search telnet
> #apt-get install telnet
> At now , my Debian server can telnet to my MS Windows client but my MS
> Windows client cannot telnet to my Debian server . Can you please let me
> know what is still wrong ?
> Thank you in advance

You need a telnet deamon on your linux machine. Try

apt-get install telnetd

Hope the package is the same with sarge. On Lenny, apt-get search has:

telnet - the telnet client (you need that to connect to other machine)
telnetd - the telnet server (you need this to give other machines access to
your server)

Regards,

Hartwig


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
John O Laoi
 
Default Inquiry:How to enable Telnet & SSH on my Debian 3.1 server?

On many systems you have to use inetd to start telnetd.

On one system, a slax system , I think, I had to add an entry to
the configuration file /etc/inetd.conf, and then restart inetd, even
after installing telnetd.

I don't have the exact entry, but google would tell you

John


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org