FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Omar Campagne
 
Default Problem with gettext files and Mutt.

Hello to everybody:

I'm still learning Mutt (this is my first installation), and I've worked
out encoding issues and the likes, particullarly when somebody sends me
a gettext po file, enabling me to *see* it with the regular pager.
Although it sometimes detects utf-8 as iso.

However, now, when I try to *attach* such a file to send it to whatever
list, I get "application/x-gettext", and Mutt doesn't
autoshow the contents (says it can't), unless I view it in the
attachment menu. Other times I get text/plain, and it shouldn't.

My locale is en_US.utf8. I have in my .mime.types

application/x-gettext po
text/x-gettext-translation po

Commenting the first and leaving the second works better,
as Mutt was detecting the same po format under different names, randomly
(as far as I know).

Some po files are in iso-5..-15, most in utf8. However, I need mutt to
guess correctly the encoding of the file, as I may end up sending some
garbled file to the translation lists.
When Mutt detects iso...-1 in a received, I get garbled accents in Spanish,
therefore, which are visible with iso..-15. I had to put

charset-hook iso-8859-1 iso-8859-15

in .muttrc to view those right.

I also have

set file_charset="utf-8:iso-8859-15:us-ascii"
set send_charset="utf-8:iso-8859-15:us-ascii"
set assumed_charset="utf-8"
set locale="en_US.utf8

in my .muttrc. May this force a conversion on sent attachments?

They need to be recognized by their mimetype as po to ensure a
correct send, and also when I save it.

The thing is, I either get plain/text utf8 on recieved, same with wrong
encoding (fixed with the charset-hook), and applicattion/x-gettext,
quoted, on sending.

Let me know if I can provide more information.

Thanks in advance!
Omar

--

"Why stop now just when I'm hating it?" -- Marvin The Paranoid Android


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Problem with gettext files and Mutt.

On Fri,13.Nov.09, 16:01:25, Omar Campagne wrote:
> Hello to everybody:

[snip]

I think you are overdoing it. I don't have a .mime.types file, nor any
encoding settings in my .muttrc, I'm just using a terminal with proper
UTF-8 support (rxvt-unicode).

How are you testing the encodings of the files you send/receive?

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Omar Campagne
 
Default Problem with gettext files and Mutt.

> I think you are overdoing it. I don't have a .mime.types file, nor any
> encoding settings in my .muttrc, I'm just using a terminal with proper
> UTF-8 support (rxvt-unicode).

> How are you testing the encodings of the files you send/receive?

Thanks for the response. I'm using gnome-terminal. I started trying to
do this thing because I was getting a lot of messages in plain us-ascii,
and, I was getting mail in Spanish in iso..-1 badly rendered, therefore
the charset-hoo for iso...-15, in order to see the accents.

Now, Po files I send are "always" in utf-8, same as I receive. However,
I was getting garbled iso...1 instead of the right thing when it came to
receive it before. Then, mutt would also save the attachment with a
garbled enconding.

Now, with the fixes, when I send it, I get utf8 quoted, or plain/text
with the right encoding but wrong mime, yet viewable (what po's are,
just text). My problem is that the po is sometimes not viewable as
app/gettext, quoted, attachement. This is available in
/usr/share/doc/mutt.

>
l10n support ~~~~~~~~~~~~ If you want to see non-ASCII characters on a
Debian system, there's no use fiddling with the variable "charset", as
described in the manual page muttrc(5). Instead, you'll need to have
the Debian package "locales" installed on your system and set the LANG
or LC_CTYPE environment variable. e.g. US users will want to add
"export LC_CTYPE=en_US" to their ~/.bashrc.
<

That's way I tried everything. You say you just use that terminal and it
works?

Regards, Omar


--

"Why stop now just when I'm hating it?" -- Marvin The Paranoid Android


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Problem with gettext files and Mutt.

On Sun,15.Nov.09, 12:55:50, Omar Campagne wrote:
>
> That's way I tried everything. You say you just use that terminal and it
> works?

That and also make sure you use a font which supports the respective
characters (like DejaVu).

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org