-   -   eth1 disappears after kernel upgrade - SUCCESS (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/279885-eth1-disappears-after-kernel-upgrade-success.html)

Anthony Campbell 11-13-2009 11:15 AM

On 10 Nov 2009, Colin wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >I seem to remember doing that in the past but the broadcom packages are
> >apparently not available at the moment.
>
> Then you'll have to do what we did in the 2.6.31 kernel thread:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/wl

OK, the steps indicated there have now worked for me. A couple of things
were needed.

1. Although this is on a 64-bit computer I'm using a 32-bit kernel so I
have to use the 32-bit driver (obvious to everyone but me, I expect).

2. I had problems loading the wl module. Then for some reason kernel
2.6.31-1-686-bigmem started locking up X for me. So I removed it and
also removed the relevant module in /lib, followed by a reinstall of the
kernel and linux-headers. This time everything worked correctly: I
followed the steps in the link above, rebooted, and wireless came up
flawlessly.

So although I'm not clear what the difficulty was initially (slight
corruption in downloads?) it's fine now.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Alex Samad 11-13-2009 06:17 PM

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:15:28PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 10 Nov 2009, Colin wrote:
> > Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > >I seem to remember doing that in the past but the broadcom packages are
> > >apparently not available at the moment.
> >
> > Then you'll have to do what we did in the 2.6.31 kernel thread:
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/wl
> >

> OK, the steps indicated there have now worked for me. A couple of things
> were needed.
>
> 1. Although this is on a 64-bit computer I'm using a 32-bit kernel so I
> have to use the 32-bit driver (obvious to everyone but me, I expect).

there is a 64bit kernel for the 32bit debian userspace just to confuse
:)

[snip]

--
If a group of _N persons implements a COBOL compiler, there will be _N-1
passes. Someone in the group has to be the manager.