Old 11-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Lisi

Default Weird mirrors error on fresh Lenny installation

This morning I installed Lenny using netinstall. I have done this with Debian
many times over the years without problem.

I always install the base system, let the standard system be set up
automatically and then install anything else I want manually after rebooting.
Today, that didn't work.

The mirrors are said to be uncontactable and the reason is given as 101
network unreachable.

I have checked everything. The router is working fine (I have had a look and
reset everything). The system is being given a DHCP address - I check with
ifconfig. I can ping the router by IP and Google by url. I have tried
editing the network interfaces file and setting it up for static IP. It made
no difference. I have tried 3 different mirrors - *ox.ac.uk*, *man.ac.uk*
and the primary UK mirror. The system still reports failure, both when it
tries to verify the security and volatile sources and when accessing the
mirrors - but it installs the standard system without any other hitch.

In desperation I did a fresh installation. Same problems. I am out of
ideas - can anyone suggest anything??

TIA,
Lisi

Old 11-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:05:51PM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> This morning I installed Lenny using netinstall. I have done this with Debian
> many times over the years without problem.
>
> I always install the base system, let the standard system be set up
> automatically and then install anything else I want manually after rebooting.
> Today, that didn't work.

Maybe mirrors are in some bad situation.

> The mirrors are said to be uncontactable and the reason is given as 101
> network unreachable.

hmmm...

Did you check http://mirror.debian.org/status.html

> The router is working fine (I have had a look and
> reset everything). The system is being given a DHCP address - I check with
> ifconfig. I can ping the router by IP and Google by url. I have tried
> editing the network interfaces file and setting it up for static IP. It made
> no difference. I have tried 3 different mirrors - *ox.ac.uk*, *man.ac.uk*
> and the primary UK mirror. The system still reports failure, both when it
> tries to verify the security and volatile sources and when accessing the
> mirrors - but it installs the standard system without any other hitch.

Hmmm... these mirror looks good.

> In desperation I did a fresh installation. Same problems. I am out of
> ideas - can anyone suggest anything??

Can you point your browser and see something at mirror site?

Osamu

Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Artur Frydel

I always install the base system, let the standard system be set up
automatically and then install anything else I want manually after rebooting.
Today, that didn't work.

Check if you have transparent proxy through way to your mirror. Try to use
ftp:// instead of http:// in sources.list

--
Artur 'bzyk' Frydel
"Always look on the bright side of life."

Old 11-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Lisi

On Friday 13 November 2009 14:34:36 Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:05:51PM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> > This morning I installed Lenny using netinstall. I have done this with
> > Debian many times over the years without problem.
> >
> > I always install the base system, let the standard system be set up
> > automatically and then install anything else I want manually after
> > rebooting. Today, that didn't work.
>
> Maybe mirrors are in some bad situation.
>
> > The mirrors are said to be uncontactable and the reason is given as 101
> > network unreachable.
[snip]
> > In desperation I did a fresh installation. Same problems. I am out of
> > ideas - can anyone suggest anything??
>
> Can you point your browser and see something at mirror site?

Thanks Osamu and Artur. The computer actually belongs to a client, and I have
not at this moment got access to it. I am still very grateful for your
suggestions and shall try to put them into practice when I can.

Lisi

Old 11-15-2009, 04:32 AM
Osamu Aoki

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 02:00:45PM +0000, Lisi wrote:

> Thanks Osamu and Artur. The computer actually belongs to a client, and I have
> not at this moment got access to it. I am still very grateful for your
> suggestions and shall try to put them into practice when I can.

You mean no X connection? Then use w3m etc as client to http.

There were some ipv6 problem with some consumer router. If you are
chasing latest sid, you may be hit by it.

Osamu