FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Alex Samad
 
Default OT - multitail - Connecting a video camera

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:04:36AM +0100, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:
[snip]
>
> watch "tail /var/log/kern.log"

OT but have you looked at multitail instead of watch tail


>
> in a console while plugging the camera to see which driver is loaded
> automatically.
>
[snip]
>

--
"It just seems so un-American to me, the picture of the guy storming the house with a scared little boy (Elian Gonzalez) there. I talked to my little brother, Jeb I haven't told this to many people. But he's the governor of I shouldn't call him my little brother."

- George W. Bush
04/27/2000
on NewsHour with Jim Lehrer
 
Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"
 
Default OT - multitail - Connecting a video camera

Alex Samad wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:04:36AM +0100, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
>> Alex Samad wrote:
> [snip]
>> watch "tail /var/log/kern.log"
>
> OT but have you looked at multitail instead of watch tail
>
>
> [snip]
>

Yes, I use it regularly, but it requires separate install when "watch"
is readily available. And "multitail" is really interesting for watching
several files at onces. In the context of this thread it would have
added an unnecessary overhead to the conversation...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman
 
Default OT - multitail - Connecting a video camera

tv.debian@googlemail.com schreef:

Alex Samad wrote:

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:04:36AM +0100, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

Alex Samad wrote:

[snip]

watch "tail /var/log/kern.log"

OT but have you looked at multitail instead of watch tail


[snip]



Yes, I use it regularly, but it requires separate install when "watch"
is readily available. And "multitail" is really interesting for watching
several files at onces. In the context of this thread it would have
added an unnecessary overhead to the conversation...
What does 'watch' deliver that 'tail -f' does not? 'tail -f' is even
realtime, something that watch is not.
 
Old 11-13-2009, 11:57 AM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"
 
Default OT - multitail - Connecting a video camera

Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> tv.debian@googlemail.com schreef:
>> Alex Samad wrote:
>>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:04:36AM +0100, tv.debian@googlemail.com
>>> wrote:
>>>> Alex Samad wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>> watch "tail /var/log/kern.log"
>>> OT but have you looked at multitail instead of watch tail
>>>
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>> Yes, I use it regularly, but it requires separate install when "watch"
>> is readily available. And "multitail" is really interesting for watching
>> several files at onces. In the context of this thread it would have
>> added an unnecessary overhead to the conversation...
> What does 'watch' deliver that 'tail -f' does not? 'tail -f' is even
> realtime, something that watch is not.
>
Nothing I guess, thanks for pointing this bashism. Time for a "man tail"
(that's interesting...).


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default OT - multitail - Connecting a video camera

In <4AFD57BA.7080000@googlemail.com>, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
>Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>> What does 'watch' deliver that 'tail -f' does not? 'tail -f' is even
>> realtime, something that watch is not.
>
>Nothing I guess, thanks for pointing this bashism. Time for a "man tail"
>(that's interesting...).

The "-f" option to tail is not a bashism. The "-f" option to tail is
specified in the Single UNIX Specification, version 2 (and possibly other
versions).

Bashisms are features of *bash* that are not required features of the "Shell
Command Lanaguage" part of the POSIX/SUS lines of specifications. It is not
an alias for "stuff you didn't know".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 11-14-2009, 08:24 AM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"
 
Default OT - multitail - Connecting a video camera

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <4AFD57BA.7080000@googlemail.com>, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
>> Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>>> What does 'watch' deliver that 'tail -f' does not? 'tail -f' is even
>>> realtime, something that watch is not.
>> Nothing I guess, thanks for pointing this bashism. Time for a "man tail"
>> (that's interesting...).
>
> The "-f" option to tail is not a bashism. The "-f" option to tail is
> specified in the Single UNIX Specification, version 2 (and possibly other
> versions).
>
> Bashisms are features of *bash* that are not required features of the "Shell
> Command Lanaguage" part of the POSIX/SUS lines of specifications. It is not
> an alias for "stuff you didn't know".

Sorry you took it the other way round, that's the "watch blabla" I was
was pointing to, not the perfectly fine "tail -f", I am always more than
happy to leave behind a stupidity ("watch blabla") and learn the proper
way to do things ("tal -f") ;-). My English may be the problem here.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:31 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org