Old 11-13-2009, 03:16 AM
Cahaya Lilin

Default Domain server on linux

Hallo there..

Need some help, i just want to know, is linux can be a domain server ??
in my office, we already have 2 server, it is DHCP server and domain server. both of it using windows.

i want to change the domain server with linux, but don't know how??

may be some body have some experience to share..

Old 11-13-2009, 03:24 AM
David Parker

> Need some help, i just want to know, is linux can be a domain server ??
> in my office, we already have 2 server, it is DHCP server and domain server. both of it using windows.

> i want to change the domain server with linux, but don't know how??

> may be some body have some experience to share..

Hello,

Are you talking about Active Directory?* Have you looked at Samba?

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html#id2562489

Samba can act as a domain controller, but if you are looking to get rid of Windows completely then you would also need to implement an LDAP system and migrate your AD accounts over to it.

*** - Dave

Old 11-13-2009, 03:41 AM
Jari Fredriksson

On 13.11.2009 6:16, Cahaya Lilin wrote:
> Hallo there..
>
> Need some help, i just want to know, is linux can be a domain server ??
> in my office, we already have 2 server, it is DHCP server and domain
> server. both of it using windows.
>
> i want to change the domain server with linux, but don't know how??
>
> may be some body have some experience to share..

If you mean a Windows domain by the "domain" then yes. The software is
called "Samba".

You can install it by "aptitude install samba". Configuration is manual
labor, info and examples can be found from www.samba.org and internet
(google: samba).

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You will never know hunger.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:46 AM
Jari Fredriksson

On 13.11.2009 6:16, Cahaya Lilin wrote:
> Hallo there..
>
> Need some help, i just want to know, is linux can be a domain server ??
> in my office, we already have 2 server, it is DHCP server and domain
> server. both of it using windows.
>
> i want to change the domain server with linux, but don't know how??
>
> may be some body have some experience to share..

In addition to Samba, it has a graphical configuration tool (used with a
browser).

aptitude install swat

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You will never know hunger.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Chris Davies

Cahaya Lilin <lingling.165@gmail.com> wrote:
> Need some help, i just want to know, is linux can be a domain server ??

> in my office, we already have 2 server, it is DHCP server and domain server.
> both of it using windows.

DHCP server - Yes, straightforward unless you also want DDNS (possible
but trickier)

Domain server - Active Directory or DNS? Active Directory is very hard
(but just about possible). DNS is complex but certainly viable.

Chris