Old 11-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Javier Barroso

Default Inquiry:How to set the Debian server to be automatically rebooted at pre-specified times ?

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 8:31 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I set my Debian server to
> be automatically rebooted at pre-specified times each day ? Please be
> informed that my Debian server version is read as "/proc/version : Debian
> 1:3.3.5-13" and I need it to be automatically rebooted at 2:00 A.M. each day
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reboot+daily+linux&l=1

Please search in google or any other search engine before asking (this
is a rule in this list) ...

Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 AM
hadi motamedi

Sorry . I do not send any message to you Gentlemen before searching in Google . But my specific question is why my crontab settings vanish when my Debian server gets rebooted ? I want to set it to be automaticallt rebooted at 2:00 A.M. each day . But after the first reboot my crontab job will disappear . I asked you to see if you can help me in this regard .

Sorry bothering you and thank you in advance

*
> Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I set my Debian server to

> be automatically rebooted at pre-specified times each day ? Please be
> informed that my Debian server version is read as "/proc/version : Debian
> 1:3.3.5-13" and I need it to be automatically rebooted at 2:00 A.M. each day

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reboot+daily+linux&l=1

Please search in google or any other search engine before asking (this
is a rule in this list) ...

Regards,

Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Javier Barroso

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry . I do not send any message to you Gentlemen before searching in
> Google . But my specific question is why my crontab settings vanish when my
> Debian server gets rebooted ? I want to set it to be automaticallt rebooted
> at 2:00 A.M. each day . But after the first reboot my crontab job will
> disappear . I asked you to see if you can help me in this regard .
> Sorry bothering you and thank you in advance
Then you should explain better your problem, your solution in August
(that which put crontab in local.rc) was not fine.

Use /etc/cron.d/ directory to schedule this task.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Jari Fredriksson

On 12.11.2009 10:48, Javier Barroso wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry . I do not send any message to you Gentlemen before searching in
>> Google . But my specific question is why my crontab settings vanish when my
>> Debian server gets rebooted ? I want to set it to be automaticallt rebooted
>> at 2:00 A.M. each day . But after the first reboot my crontab job will
>> disappear . I asked you to see if you can help me in this regard .
>> Sorry bothering you and thank you in advance
> Then you should explain better your problem, your solution in August
> (that which put crontab in local.rc) was not fine.
>
> Use /etc/cron.d/ directory to schedule this task.

That's strange... I use crontab.txt file in my home directory and
command crontab crontab.txt to activate it. It stays active after any
number of reboots. /etc/cron.d works very fine also, of course.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

This will be a memorable month -- no matter how hard you try to forget it.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 AM
hadi motamedi

Thank you very much for your reply . Can you please do me favor and let me know what is the equivalent of Linux "/etc/rc.local" bootup script in Debian ? In Linux , I put the "crontab crontab.txt" in /etc/rc.local bootup script but where I am expected to put it under my Debian server ?

Thank you in advance

*

Old 11-14-2009, 06:44 AM
hadi motamedi

Thank you for your reply . Please be informed that I checked for my Debian server version , as the followings :
#more /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.27-2-386 (horms@tabatha.lab.ultramonkey.org) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)) #1 Wed Aug 17 09:33:35 UTC 2005
#more /etc/debian_version
3.1
#cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
I installed the DECT package and the Asterisk SW on it . Then , when I set my cron job via "#crontab -e" and then reboot the server I saw that my cron job will vanish after server reboot . Please help me solve my problem.

Thank you in advance

*
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 07:31:18AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I set my Debian server to
> be automatically rebooted at pre-specified times each day ? Please be

> informed that my Debian server version is read as "/proc/version : Debian
> 1:3.3.5-13" and I need it to be automatically rebooted at 2:00 A.M. each day
> .
> Let me thank you in advance

That looks odd: not least because there never was a Debian 1.

For comparison: here is /proc/version on the machine in front of me:

Linux version 2.6.26-2-amd64 (Debian 2.6.26-19lenny1) (dannf@debian.org)

(gcc version 4.1.3 20080704 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-25))
#1 SMP Mon Oct 19 02:34:17 UTC 2009

[Lines broken by me - on screen it was all one line.]

>From this and other questions posed by you on this and other lists:

Are you _SURE_ you're running Debian? Did you install this machine with
its software , or did you take on a machine built a long time ago by
somebody else?

Send us the output of

cat /etc/debian-version

The machine in front of me gives 5.0.3

cat /etc/issue

gives

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0

It's always possible that someone installed a different Linux then made
it look like Debian to fool hackers e.g. by changing sendmail / apache

messages and others

All the best,

AndyC

Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 AM
hadi motamedi

Sorry . Why my Debian server does not contain /etc/rc.local bootup file ?
Thank you in advance

*
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

Please don't top-post.

hadi motamedi:

> Thank you very much for your reply . Can you please do me favor and let me
> know what is the equivalent of Linux "/etc/rc.local" bootup script in Debian
> ?

Debian uses /etc/rc.local as well. It's a Linux system, after all. ;-)

J.
--
I use a Playstation to block out the existence of my partner.
[Agree] * [Disagree]

Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 AM
hadi motamedi

Sorry . According to you , I created my own /etc/rc.local and put my own bootup script in it . But when I reboot my Debian server I don't see my intended startup scripts being effective on my Debian server . Can you please let me know why ?

Thank you in advance

*
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

Please don't top-post.

hadi motamedi:

> Sorry . Why my Debian server does not contain /etc/rc.local bootup file ?

I don't know, but nothing keeps you from creating it. The default file
looks like this:

#!/bin/sh -e

#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution

# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

exit 0

J.
--
When standing at the top of beachy head I find the rocks below very
attractive.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Javier Barroso

> Martin Krafft's book - The Debian System - from No Starch Press deals
> well with 3.1 and what was expected in 4.0. A new edition is being
> prepared to deal with 5.0. What's in that edition is not completely out
> of date because it covers a wealth of background information on Debian
> which is still relevant.
One fix to your comment, it will be about Debian 6.0 (Squeeze)

And it is a very good new !

http://madduck.net/blog/2009.10.08:commencing-work-on-the-second-edition-of-my-book/