Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default setting screen resolution to 1366x768

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:32:32PM +0200, Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed Debian Lenny on a Compaq Presario. The screen
> resolution was automatically set to 1024x768.
> This resolution seems to be the highest available based on the
> output of 'xrandr'.
> The native screen resolution for my laptop is 1366x768.
> I'd appreciate anyone suggesting how to go about it.

without spending all day relearning how to do it, the basic procedure
is to specify a new mode.

You can do this dynamically through xrandr at the command line. Read
the manpage for instructions on how to specify a new mode. I believe
it looks similar to the old ModeLine stuff from xorg.conf. Once you've
successfully added the mode through xrandr, you can select it and test
it out. If that works, then you'll want to take the mode line
specification and put it into xorg.conf to make it available to X on
startup.

There are a couple of modeline calculators available on the net, and
I'm pretty sure there is one available in the standard repo, but I
don't recall the name.

hopefully that is enough to get you headed towards a solution.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Tony Nelson

On 09-11-11 17:15:06, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:32:32PM +0200, Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have installed Debian Lenny on a Compaq Presario. The screen
> > resolution was automatically set to 1024x768.
> > This resolution seems to be the highest available based on the
> > output of 'xrandr'.
> > The native screen resolution for my laptop is 1366x768.
> > I'd appreciate anyone suggesting how to go about it.
>
> without spending all day relearning how to do it, the basic procedure
> is to specify a new mode.
>
> You can do this dynamically through xrandr at the command line. Read
> the manpage for instructions on how to specify a new mode. I believe
> it looks similar to the old ModeLine stuff from xorg.conf. Once
> you've successfully added the mode through xrandr, you can select it
> and test it out. If that works, then you'll want to take the mode
> line specification and put it into xorg.conf to make it available to
> X on startup.

Before doing that, take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/
xorg.conf, and see why the modes aren't available. If they're all
disabled due to "out of range", look at the "Configured Monitor" lines,
and possibly edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf "Monitor" section to broaden the
range(s) (but don't exceed the manufacturer's specs! If the laptop
display vertical range is 60 - 60, then perhaps 59 - 61 will fix it).

> There are a couple of modeline calculators available on the net, and
> I'm pretty sure there is one available in the standard repo, but I
> don't recall the name.

I see that cvt and gtf are in Lenny.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:57 AM
"shampavman.cg"

[...]

I would like to add a few issues i've been facing...
I see that by default I can set up a resolution as high as 1280x
<something>,
But for some reason the refresh rate for that resolution is not
available and the monitor starts flickering... So im stuck with 1024x768..

Anyway I can increase the resolution and yet not see flickering?

There are a couple of modeline calculators available on the net, and
I'm pretty sure there is one available in the standard repo, but I
don't recall the name.

hopefully that is enough to get you headed towards a solution.

Shampavman c.g
www.shampavman.wordpress.com

Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 AM
Alexander Kaphuk

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

I have installed Debian Lenny on a Compaq Presario. The screen
resolution was automatically set to 1024x768.
This resolution seems to be the highest available based on the output of
'xrandr'.
The native screen resolution for my laptop is 1366x768.

Video card?

nVidia GeForce G 103M.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 06:13:05PM -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> On 09-11-11 17:15:06, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:32:32PM +0200, Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have installed Debian Lenny on a Compaq Presario. The screen
> > > resolution was automatically set to 1024x768.
> > > This resolution seems to be the highest available based on the
> > > output of 'xrandr'.
> > > The native screen resolution for my laptop is 1366x768.
> > > I'd appreciate anyone suggesting how to go about it.
> >
> > without spending all day relearning how to do it, the basic procedure
> > is to specify a new mode.

[...]

> Before doing that, take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/
> xorg.conf, and see why the modes aren't available. If they're all
> disabled due to "out of range", look at the "Configured Monitor" lines,
> and possibly edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf "Monitor" section to broaden the
> range(s) (but don't exceed the manufacturer's specs! If the laptop
> display vertical range is 60 - 60, then perhaps 59 - 61 will fix
> it).

excellent point. I have seen in the past where a monitor reports a
vertical range of (making up values here) 50 - 60 but the calculation
of the rate for the top resolution is 60.1 and thus is called out of
range. It was clearly (a couple of years ago) a problem in the
precision of the calculation. setting the range to one more worked
just fine and that monitor continues to perform flawlessly years
later. ymmv.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Bob

Modern xorg doesn't need a .conf file on the whole but I find that with
funky screen sizes and quirky multi-monitor set-ups they are still
necessary.

I never quite got 1366x768 the best I've done is 1360x768, I've
frequently seen it said that horizontal resolutions must be divisible by
8 and thus have tried 1368x768 but I never got that to work.

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
VendorName "sharp"
ModelName "Aquos LCD LC-32G2W"
HorizSync 24.0 - 70.0 # From Xorg.log
VertRefresh 49.0 - 86.0 # From PixClock max 110 MHz
# Modline for Sharp Aquos
#Modeline "1368x768" 86.3605 1368 1378 1410 1788 768 778
783 805 -hsync -vsync
Modeline "1360x768" 85.974 1360 1370 1402 1780 768 778
783 805 -hsync -vsync

Modeline "1024x768" 78.26 1024 1056 1352 1384 768 783 792 807
EndSection

The above modeline results in a 60Hz refresh rate, with the radeon
driver at least I have to put

Option "PanelSize" "1360x768"
in my "Device" section, a useful resource for calculating modelines is
http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html
and
http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

God luck.

Alexander Kaphuk wrote:

Hi,
I have installed Debian Lenny on a Compaq Presario. The screen
resolution was automatically set to 1024x768.
This resolution seems to be the highest available based on the output of
'xrandr'.

The native screen resolution for my laptop is 1366x768.
I'd appreciate anyone suggesting how to go about it.
Thanking you all in advance.
Alexander Kapshuk.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Alexander Kaphuk

I'd like to thank all those that have responded to my email about
setting screen resolution to 1366x768 the other day.

Here's what I did...

1. Stopped gdm;
2. Downloaded the nVidia driver off their website (
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.42-pkg1.run);

3. Downloaded and installed the linux-headers and gcc-4.1;
4. Ran the installation script;
5. Restarted gmd;

I ended up with a screen divided into six parts (that's the best way i
can put it).

I've done some googling looking for an answer, but haven't found
anything in particular so far.

I'd appreciate anyone giving me some leads with regards to what needs to
be done.

Thanks in advance.

Alexander Kapshuk.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Alexander Kaphuk

Hi,

I'd like to once again thank those of you who have responded to my
earlier emails on the subject in question.

The solution to my problem turned out to be an easy one. I upgraded to
Squeeze which uses 'xserver-xorg-video-nv' version '1:2.1.14-2', which
automatically sets the screen resolution to '1366x768'.

So I thought I'd report back to the community just in case someone else
find themselves in a similar situation and might find this post useful.

Regards,

Alexander Kapshuk.